8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2012 10:37 AM by joseph.cereola RSS

VRBO Rental Inquiry Confirmation Suggests Other Rentals?

When a potential renter sends an inquiry through VRBO, the renter receives an inquiry confirmation via email. I heard that VRBO sometimes suggests other rentals in this confirmation email. I sent some inquiries on my properties and VRBO didn't suggest that I consider other rentals. Has anyone aware if VRBO actually does this?

• Re: VRBO Rental Inquiry Confirmation Suggests Other Rentals?
          Community All-Star

Yes, they do.  After someone submits an inquiry, a page appears thanking them for submitting the inquiry.  If you look lower down on this page, it states, "Increase your chances of finding your ideal vacation rental.  Consider looking at the following properties too ..."  Below this are ten additional properties in the area.

HomeAway Employee

When a traveler sends an inquiry to a property owner, they are taken to a confirmation page that also displays a list of properties similar to the one they have inquired about. This list of similar properties is not emailed to the traveler; it is only visible on the inquiry confirmation page.

All of our traveler-oriented features are designed to make our site more efficient and useful for travelers. Keep in mind that you also benefit from this feature as your listing will be displayed on the confirmation page of a similar property.

Thanks,
            Beth

VRBO.com

lrbaldwin Active Contributor

"Keep in mind that you also benefit from this feature as your listing will be displayed on the confirmation page of a similar property."

Over time since this "feature" was implemented, I made probably 20 test inquiries. These were filtered properties that matched mine.  Not once was my property returned as another option.  In fact, most of the properties returned did not nearly match my filters.

Linda

I think it's important that VRBO remember who their customers are: it's the owners who pay hundreds of dollars per year to list their property, not the renters, and the owners are uniformly unhappy with this feature, based on this thread as well as other similar threads and comments in various forums around the internet. Additionally, the recommendations may undermine the value of a higher page position that an owner has earned through longevity on the site or by paying for a subscription that provides a listing higher up on the page.

bobbie32 Community All-Star

a list of properties similar to the one they have inquired about

I find this a bit ironic.  The reason someone inquires about a particular property, is because they believe it to fit their needs and might even find it a bit unique.  The notion that other properties are similar is just flat out wrong.  It should say a list of properties in the same general vicinity, but using the word "similar" is ridiculous. 

susaninrehoboth Senior Contributor

I've never gotten a follow up with suggestions for other rentals with test inquiries to my VRBO listing. I do with my FlipKey listing.

I did another test. I sent an inquiry to myself and noted the other properties that were recomended. Then I sent inquiries to each of those properties to see if mine showed up as a recomended alternative; it did, but only once. It's not that I expected to show up in all ten, but I certainly expected more than one. Overall, I see the feature doing me more harm than good.