25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2020 11:20 PM by casitacynthiasantafe RSS

Latest Vrbo email on Early Payouts

bonesxxx Active Contributor

Is this for real?  I supplied all this when I converted to HA payments from Yapstone.

Why am I being asked to provide it all again in order to keep what I already have???

Any moderators around to confirm this is legit and not a phishing scam?

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 8.28.07 AM.png

• Re: Latest Vrbo email on Early Payouts
          feibus Senior Contributor

Just did it, yes, it's for real.  The link at the bottom takes you back to your dashboard payments page that has your tax and bank info (check the URL, you'll see that one link goes to a homeaway.com domain and the bottom one to vrbo.com).  Takes about 30 seconds to complete the form and you're done.

familyfirst Contributor

Me too! The email looks iffy from them and I don't trust it. I did all of this already as well. I don't like the Direct Debit Authorization!

margaret CommunityAmbassador

Yapstone always had the ability to pull back funds to refund. This should have been done when we accepted the new processor but apparently it was overlooked. I would not click on a link in any email. Go to the dashboard -Property>Rules & Policies>Payment Options>Add Authorization (look for a red dot). If there is no red dot then you have already completed this form, it should say "View Authorization"

wildiris Active Contributor

Thanks, Margaret!

casitacynthiasantafe Contributor

Thank you, Margaret. I followed your instructions, found the red dot, and completed the form, though I do not like it!

I only have one rental property, and I have all my HomeAway funds deposited to an account solely dedicated to that property and move money out swiftly, keeping the balance low. I would NEVER have completed this form for the bank account I use for everything else, and if anyone is working off just one bank account, I strongly recommend setting up a separate one for your HomeAway funds!

koko Active Contributor

Just FYI - moving the money out swiftly if done via transfer links the accounts for charge back purposes and keeping the balance low only works until your next deposit comes - which it won't if you still owe them in their mind - they can then deduct from that deposit the charge back amount owed and only give you the difference.

Charge backs are almost always done before you have a chance to state your side of the story and in light of the nice clause we have now which entitles the traveler upon entering your premises to claim funds in your account I am not interested in early payments.

I don't believe that the authorization to permit HomeAway to debit our bank accounts is anything new.  I remember similar language years ago when HomeAway first instituted HomeAway Payments (that were administered by Yapstone).  The authorization language was in the "boilerplate" language that we agreed to. 

ohst8er Premier Contributor

casitacynthiasantafe, If you have a 200$ balance in your account, and someone decides to do a chargeback, do you really think that HA is only going to grab $200.00 and be done?  Ever heard of an overdrafted account? 

It is very enlightening to read Vrbo's Terms and Conditions.  Here's a link -https://www.vrbo.com/legal/terms-and-conditions/hap-terms-conditions

This is from the current version of the Terms and Conditions (last updated on February 15, 2019)

1.3 Right of Off-set. For any amounts owed by You to us, or to our affiliates, or to Guests, You authorize us to deduct (off-set) such amounts from Accommodation Fee payments. Similarly, we may offset any payment obligation that we may have to You under this Agreement against (1) Fees owed by You, (2) amounts overpaid to You, and (3) any other amounts owed by You to us or our affiliates under this Agreement or any other agreement.

1.4 Processing Errors. If there is a rejection or an error in the processing of any transaction, You authorize us or a third-party service provider working on our behalf to debit or credit Your bank account designated on the Registration Form, as applicable, to correct such error. If we are unable to debit such bank account You select for any reason, You authorize us to resubmit the debit, plus any applicable fees, to any other bank account or payment instrument that You have on file with us. If the non-payment issue is unresolved within a reasonable period, You will be required to make payment using another acceptable payment method.

2barefeet Contributor

I just logged in and there is a red dot next to debit authorization that I must complete.  If I am correct VRBO/HA payments could not debit our accounts when we moved away from Yapstone.  We now must give them authorization to do so.  I was waiting to make sure others received this email since there seems to be a scam email (different subject line) going around this morning also.  I guess the scammers know when HA sends out mass emails.

3seasbeach Contributor

I Just logged in, after receiving the email.  However, there are no red dots.  I had actually updated all my info on December 31st.  I am going to assume my recent update will suffice even though I got the email this morning, and I have no red dots.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

I had already started a thread on this very subject about 7 minutes before you posted...  Anyone else get this email this morning?

And now, there's three threads.   We should all be sure to check BEFORE we post to make sure we aren't duplicating our efforts.  Poor  feibus is running his little pidgeon legs off!

koko Active Contributor

No doubt this is legit, no one else would be wording such a document like HA.

auth VRBO.jpg

What troubles me are the highlighted portions in this authorization, because it seems like authorization is given to anyone who stakes a claim, be it a company

or traveler. This is so broad that a train could fit through and it makes me think that I might not authorize this just to limit the exposure of my bank accounts to incompetent accounting and decision making by others.

If the affiliate is the "company" who is then Hyperwallet affiliated with? How many "in between" layers are there and one might be forced to jump through these hoops to rectify a debit which was erroneous?

It reads to me in short:

"Give me access to your accounts to do whatever we please with the funds we find there. We'll come up with a reason for it in a timeline we see fit."

Any thoughts on that?

green_mango Active Contributor

Looks like VRBO needs authorization to double debit those damage deposits - gotta make sure all is covered in case they don't fix that "glitch"  

hickmanhideaway Contributor

What troubles me is that this email looks so scamy that anyone NOT on this forum will ignore it. No name in the email and no property number? All of the things that we are told to watch out for and assume are scams. And then when an owner ignores this email because they thought they were already on "early payouts" they will be reverted back to after check in payments.

Makes me think that VRBO is doing this on purpose to get out of the "early payouts" to those who have already gone through the hoops. Admin, you might want to have the powers-that-be resend the email and make it personal, with owner names and property numbers, so EVERYONE has the opportunity to KEEP their existing payment program.

Now I am going to make some phone calls to other owners who are not on this forum to let them know that email was not fake.

casitacynthiasantafe Contributor

Well said. When I read this e-mail, my first thought was that it was a poorly-conceived phishing attempt. Then I checked the address & it seemed legit. Then I went to my Dashboard & Inbox to look for anything there--didn't see anything. Then I thought about calling CS, but anticipated frustration and mis-information. Came here instead, and figured the smart, diligent, vigilant, community-minded owners here would have some answers for me, and, in that, at least, I am not disappointed. Thanks, folks.

hickmanhideaway Contributor

I have gone to all of the Short Term Rental facebook pages I belong to and alerted owners about this email. I also posted it on my general facebook page. I want this info to get to each and every VRBO owner/manager so they know the email wasn't a scam and so VRBO doesn't have an opportunity to back away from their previously agreed "early payment" for anyone because of this poorly worded and non-personal email.

This is what I posted. If everyone on here did the same, maybe we can get the information out to a majority of owners.

This is a public service announcement to all VRBO owners.

We all got an email today from VRBO that was not personalized. It is asking us to click through the email and give banking info to be able to stay on “early payouts.”

This is not a scam, but it is necessary to go to your account online and do as they ask. I belong to a forum and this has been highly discussed this morning. I just did as they asked, but DO NOT GO THROUGH THE EMAIL. CHECK INTO YOUR VRBO ACCOUNT.

This is the process to do this:

Go to the dashboard -Property>Rules & Policies>Payment Options>Add Authorization (look for a red dot). If there is no red dot then you have already completed this form, it should say "View Authorization”

The email is so vague that many people will not follow up and then they are back on check out payments. Please forward this on to all VRBO owners you know.