16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2020 9:03 AM by u0999 RSS

Military Discount?

ncmountaintime Contributor

Do you offer a military discount?  What percentage discount do you offer? 

• Re: Military Discount?
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

Anytime someone asks I always give the same answer, ” we are happy to offer a 10% discount to all of our military guests.”  Since our tax rate is 11% it makes their stay almost completely “tax-free.”

green_mango Active Contributor

I don't - guests have never asked either. 

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I once had a guest ask about a military discount. It turned out that her nephew, who was NOT traveling with her, was in the military. She believed being related to someone in the military entitled her to a military discount. I don't usually offer discounts, I may consider a military discount if asked but only for the person in the service, their spouse and children.

planthealth Active Contributor

My husband and I are both retired military as is my brother and father. We only give military discount in our off season, 10%.

martyp Contributor

IF they ask, my response is that I really appreciate the 10% that Lowes gives to me and I will honor that same discount.  The guest paying must be the veteran.

I have only had one traveler request the discount and they never booked.

bonesxxx Active Contributor

I don't.  Not that I disagree with offering something to our service members in principle at all.

My market is close to a naval base, the state capital, and the US capitol, FBI headquarters, etc... Virtually every guest would qualify for some sort of government discount if I offered one so I don't.  And that's just what I say... "due to the nature of my market and the number of active and retired military and government guests who book with me, I have factored all discounts into my standard rate".

So far, nobody has said boo about it.

scowol Active Contributor

bonesxxx wrote:  "Due to the nature of my market and the number of active and retired military and government guests who book with me, I have factored all discounts into my standard rate".

This is an absolutely brilliant response!  Polite, but to the point and explanatory in a simple, single sentence.  I am going to shamelessly plagiarize this for my template!  Thank you for sharing!

feibus Senior Contributor

I don't offer discounts.  I offer an exceptional value.  They can stay or look for somewhere cheaper if they like.  I don't want to have to determine whether someone is really in the military and too many people think lying is ok these days if they can get away with it.

tnmountainmama Contributor

We get requests for military discounts constantly.  I am surprised to see that isn't common.  I just got one today and one two days ago.  I just reply that we are unable to offer any discounts.  I also frequently get police, fire, and even teacher discounts asked about. 

panda Contributor

No military discounts during peak season; and my rates during off season are usually already discounted.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I have only had one request and I think that Idid provide a discount. He was stationed at one base and his wife at another and my home was in the middle and they were meeting for their anniversary.

I Have family in the Military and know that their pay is low, even with the other things that are paid for, so I think if I was asked again, I would need to know the details and make sure the person booking was the Veteran

u0999 Premier Contributor

I do, but it is pointless to offer it on vrbo. The moment you apply the discount, vrbo will increase their fee. I do offer military discunt on my own website year round with military or veteran ID.