12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2020 9:48 AM by bhorsnround RSS

scams

bhorsnround Contributor

Well I guess I have been chosen to be harassed by scams.  They are using/sending notifications/inquiries from a past guest from 2015 it comes across as an inquiry and it is almost daily with multiple paragraphs of questions and wanting me to click on a link.  I finally contacted the past guest and they know nothing about it.  With numerous attempts thru HOA customer service to help me they say it cannot be stopped!!!!  We cannot click on this guest stating it is a scam because they are using my past guest!!!

I feel HOA should help out!!!  @

• Re: scams
          bonesxxx Active Contributor

Sometimes when this happens to me I hit reply, type in a single character such as a "." and hit send.

That at least keeps your metrics from getting dinged.  Just make sure you don't do it from the app and accidentally include a pre-approval.

wildiris Active Contributor

Guests who have stayed with you previously should book directly with you for subsequent stays.  I'm not sure how this has happened, but it sounds as though either your account with Vrbo or your former guest's account has been hacked.  Most likely your former guest.  I'd contact your former guest again, explain the situation and let them know that you are marking these inquiries from the scammer as spam.  The former guest should set up a new account with Vrbo to make future bookings with other owners.

feibus Senior Contributor

If it's a NEW inquiry with no history, you have to respond within 24 hours and you can mark it as SPAM in your inbox.

If it's a follow-up inquiry on an existing inquiry or booking, just ignore it.

Marking it as SPAM may or may not block the guest from using the Vrbo system again with that email address, so I'd let the guest know their mail account is compromised, to change the email password to something secure before you take that step of marking their inquiries as SPAM (give them a day or two to do it before taking action).  And to book any future visit directly.  It's their fault they got hacked, not your fault if you decide to not put up with it.

bhorsnround Contributor

Still on a daily basis getting these emails under a past guest which you cannot mark as a spam.  Contacted guest they got nasty about it and said it wasn't them even told them they were using their email.  Even tried unsubscribing and it want.  In the emails it states Homeaway subscribed to it

feibus Senior Contributor

Either guest's email is hacked or they have the email address for the conversation and are sending that way.  Either way, yes, you're stuck ignoring these messages, although try this: have you tried to archive the conversation?

bhorsnround Contributor

I finally got a hold of the company that is submitting and they state I am unsubscribed within 24 hours.  Keeping fingers crossed this works.  Whew this was frustrating; past guest was hacked with their emails and got when she emailed me at HomeAway