6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2019 1:54 PM by calicalling RSS

My property is appearing very low on search engines but I have just achieved premier property status.  Any advice?

pigeonforgecabinowner New Member

We relisted our property with VRBO after our rebuild.  At first, we received several bookings, etc.  In the last week, no activity at all.  When I did a search as a traveler would, we were all the way on page 25. We have 3 positive (5 star) reviews, 0 cancellations, and met all the booking requirements.  I called VRBO customer service and the agent gave me no reason for this, and no way to improve upon that.  No traveler is going to sift through 25 pages to find our booking.  Anyone have any advice or similar problem>

• Re: My property is appearing very low on search engines but I have just achieved premier property status.  Any advice?
          scowol Active Contributor

I'm not aware that Premier Partner drives "search engines" rankings.  Were you expecting Google and Bing to display your listing on page one?

As others have stated regarding this issue in dozens (hundreds?) of threads on this forum, within Vrbo, rankings constantly fluctuate.  I've been a PP from day one of the program, and my ranking is constantly all over the board.  In one week, it went from #1 to #4,000.  The following week it went up to #7, then down to #5,000 the following week.  This pattern has repeated itself for the past two years with drastic swings.

If it helps you feel better...

• I have 91 reviews
          • All 91 of them are 5-stars
          • My metrics are #1 in all categories out of 7,300 properties.

Despite the above, my current market rank (just checked it real time) is 6,451.  Next week it may go to #5 or #6,000.  In fact, several times it's actually in the #8,000+ range--which exceeds the number of possible properties in my marketplace of 7,300.  After seeing swings in the thousands from one day to the next, and rankings that exceed the possible number of properties in my marketplace, I realized (like others) that the ranking just doesn't matter.

As you can search for threads on this topic, many owners realize they need to measure is their actual performance over the medium and long-term.  I would not panic after only one week.  Also, unless the first week of December is your high-booking season, most properties are currently in the low booking season.

• Re: My property is appearing very low on search engines but I have just achieved premier property status.  Any advice?
            pigeonforgecabinowner New Member

I was actually referring to the search through vrbo.  I think most guests will only look through 10 pages maximum, so if you're listing is on page 25, no way.  When we were on vrbo before, there were different subscription levels.  I remember paying more to be nearer the top.  Not an option now.  Wondering if I should list on Airbnb.

scowol Active Contributor

Have you entered in actual dates and used the filters?   In my marketplace, if you don't enter dates and leave all the filters blank, Vrbo will sort properties based criteria that their booking engine algorithms predict will likely result in a booking--ASAP.  My two properties that are PP and rank #1 in metrics are on pages 45 and 77 (yes, I literally paged through to find both and make sure they showed up).  But I still get bookings periodically.  People will sort, filter and search for the property that fits their actual needs and travel dates.

Remember, Vrbo is a booking platform (not an advertising site) that earns revenue on service fees, so that is Vrbo's top priority as a for-profit business).  A major criterion is availability.  Other criteria, based on Vrbo's black box is going to be based on your marketplace and the type of properties that book the fastest.  Not filtering is going to result in Vrbo displaying properties that, based on their experience, are likely to book rapidly.

As for putting all your eggs in the Vrbo basket or diversifying and listing on Airbnb, the answer depends on your marketplace.  Vrbo dominates in some markets, while Airbnb dominates in many others.  Check Airbnb and look at your competition to see if you they are listing there, too.  Research is an ongoing strategy to stay competitive.  Good luck!

calicalling Active Contributor

If you decide to list on Air, feel free to PM me if you need advice. I can also send you an example of the market report that they send me every month so you can see the indicators they use for Superhost and listing quality. So much helpful data its ridiculous.

Regarding your experience on VBRO/HA there's no problem that price can't fix, but you have to walk that fine line between pricing so high that you don't get hits and pulling in discount guests (I personally have no problem with guests asking/wanting a discount, but too low prices bring in undesirable 'discount' quality guests IME).

For starters I'd be sure you have maxed out the pictures, kept your calendar as clear as possible, allowed IB ... all the usual things.I do think there are many factors we can't control ... Guest behavior drives some of listing placement but I've seen very little data on that. A small thing you might consider is making your cover photo an exterior one if you haven't already. I did hear at the Summit that listings with exterior lead photos get more hits. I think that might be because most listings show an interior photo first.  The more hits your listing gets, the higher it will head in the rankings.

HTH.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

I’m pretty good at ferreting  this stuff out and giving advice on bumping your listing.  Post your listing number and I’d be happy to take a look at it.