3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2019 12:06 PM by hickmanhideaway RSS

Looking into changing my duvet look

hickmanhideaway Contributor

Doing some redecorating of our mountain cabin. We don't do a mountain theme. Up to this point it has been just more like a homey look and I want to keep it that way. Have had mostly single color duvets that complement the window coverings. But in one room I can get a little more colorful. What's your opinion of a large print floral duvet? Too feminine? 99% of our guests are families, so that room is probably used 50/50 male/female. Wall colors are soft grey.

• Re: Looking into changing my duvet look
          feibus Senior Contributor

One trick is to take a picture of it on our phone and make sure it looks ok that way, because if it doesn't "pop" in a photo, it's not going help your marketing.

Can I point out that guys sleep in beds with bedding that's more feminine most of the time?  It's not like I get to pick the bedding in my bedroom any more....  So I wouldn't worry about that as long as it's a pattern that isn't overpowering the room.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

We have used duvets for years.  In our advertising pictures, I have used the best looking duvets for marketing purposes.  I have a disclaimer in my RA that states that bedding may be different from that pictured.  That way my housekeeper can use any duvet that fits the bed, saving aggravation when a guest destroys the duvet with makeup, dog chewing or other mishaps.  I purchase several duvets when I find them on sale, and have bought patterned ones from IKEA as well as solid covers through Overstock.  I just make sure that the colors work within my palette and that they look good when in use.

hickmanhideaway Contributor

We have used duvets for years. We are just looking at changing due to new paint colors and artwork. I wouldn't have given much of a thought as to the floral, except my hubby mentioned we might want to be more gender neutral. But feibus is right, most bedding is more feminine anyway, unless we really were looking for a guy/forest look. And we are not.

I think I will go with my first instinct on these as one of the rooms needs a POP of color as it is the first room you look into as you enter the cabin.

I have found some very nice duvet sets on Amazon for under $40 for a set. Nicely made and wash well.