4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2019 11:13 AM by green_mango RSS

Verified Guest ver. 2.0 - when did this start?

1500main Contributor

I just noticed this tag on my next Guest. Looking through previous Guests I have only 2 others that have this tag over the past 2 years.

I did not notice this tag by this Guest last week.

a.jpg

• Re: Verified Guest ver. 2.0 - when did this start?
          green_mango Active Contributor

I heard about this a few months ago, but it appears to be rolling out very slowly - as a guest even when I tried to get my account "ID verified" I was unable because the option simply wasn't presented (I don't care about being verified myself, but I wanted to see the process for a guest, so that I would know as an owner).  All I can recall is that it's done by a 3rd party.  As an owner I require ID from guest no matter what level of ID verification they have.  When I asked about this awhile ago it sounded like the ID info would be shared with owner as needed, but VRBO did not verifiy that info so I do not trust them to be helpful in that regard.

Here's the thread - lots of helpful info since the moderator chimed in there and looks like she confirmed that the ID information is not shared with the owner if needed, despite VRBO saying, "Our goal is only to provide added peace of mind when we have this information available for you." (except the info isn't available for you).

Re: What does verified REALLY mean to VRBO?

1500main Contributor

thanks, I missed that thread.

So it seem to have "started" sometime this past year around May 2019, but they are mucking about with what the "badge" looks like.

This is just the first time I have seen something so prominent as opposed to a "checkmark" or a "circle w/check in it"

Yep the basic circle with the check/checkmark "verified" just means the guest has a valid email address - big whoop.  I think it gives the owners a false sense of security since many assume the checkmark means the *guest* has been verified, versus just their email address.  Scammers have verified email addresses, but some owners don't realize that's pretty much useless.  The badge is the more in depth 3rd party verification to give us owners "peace of mind" even though we don't have access to the info.