7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2019 4:37 PM by feibus RSS

Family Collection

puttermac10 Contributor

So I got the Invitation  to be in the Family Collection & they require you to commit to not using other ways to rent your properties.  I am wondering after striving for Premier status so hard so that I could get phone numbers and & emails to communicate with renters prior to renting - I find this key to making sure everyone is on the same page and expectations are @met (renters always miss key things in the details of a property) & to be sure I am talking to a responsible of age individual with no mischievous intentions - they changed the rules and took away the contact information.  After years of being loyal to VRBO and getting paid when I require the deposits from my renters - immediately - they changed their payments to after check in.  I don’t feel the need to commit anything to VRBO and I don’t believe anything they promise me would come to fruition without them changing and going back on their promises.  Am I missing something important by not participating?. ha-moderator-christi, ha-moderator-daniel, ha-moderator-macy

• Re: Family Collection
          feibus Senior Contributor

I can't say what you're missing by not participating, I'd certainly never put all my sales eggs in one marketing basket, but what you write is hopefully something every owner expressed to them this past weekend in Arizona: there's a strong lack of trust of Vrbo's actions when it comes to how they're dealing with owners.  This is something I've noticed getting worse over the past 6 months (it wasn't great before, but it seems to be getting much worse since the August debacle).

Doesn't matter what marketing program Vrbo puts out there if owners can't trust them to follow through on their commitments.

wildiris Senior Contributor

This is the first I've heard of the "Family Collection."  HomeAway is using the same ploy in launching the "Family Collection" that it used when it first rolled out "Premier Partner" - requiring the owner to commit to not use any other methods/mediums to rent out your property.  I think the best predictor of someone's behavior is how they behaved in the past.  I can't resist repeating the old chestnut: "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

u0999 Premier Contributor

for me it is a non starter. knowing HA's propensity for unannounced changes, glitches, A/B tests etc - you put all your eggs in one (HA's) basket, next thing you know - they run some (Capt Obvious could have told your the result) A/B test and your property is buried or they show your toilet as your main photo or they place your property in Timbuktu 3000mi away and you are not getting any bookings. You want to risk that? I do not.

I find it laughable and borderline insulting owner's intelligence (knowing what we know of their practices now) that Ha will even suggest such thing.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

Will HA, in turn, give us the same promise that they will not ADVERTISE on any platform that the owners do not want to be advertised on?

Asking for a friend....

green_mango Active Contributor

I am a very family oriented vacation rental - but there is NO way that I would agree to be exclusive on any single platform.  I literally don't even have to think about it and consider - nope, not going to happen.  VRBO has been 1/4 of my bookings so far this year and their shenanigans with glitches and changes and metrics and hoops have guaranteed I will not be exclusive with them.