6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2019 2:09 PM by u0999 RSS

How NOT to respond to a 3 star review...

ohst8er Premier Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 5.04.28 PM.png

• Re: How NOT to respond to a 3 star review...
          susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

Grade D on grammar in addition to idiot response.

droptop Contributor

Never easy when you take your own partner and two kids on a "Family Vacation" in your own vacation rental to get the summer off to a good start.  Before Al Gore invented the Internet, families would just argue, and it all ended in tears.  Now, they just stare into their phones, and rate you while you bang on about how you fixed the shower yourself, plus the wonky switches, fired the useless cleaner and did the pre-arrival clean yourself, too, all the while boasting about "how much money I saved doing it myself, because what do they know, they're all ripping me off?"  Perhaps it's not too late for him to "Rate this guest" and ruin Thanksgiving and Christmas, too.  

scowol Active Contributor

Well, from a competitive standpoint, the more owners out writing ridiculous responses like this, the better for the rest of us!   Any savvy traveler who reads the review with this type of owner response would move on to the next property.

u0999 Premier Contributor

Well, while response is a tad emotional and grammar is lacking, I do not see it as horrible that would necessarily turn future guests away. I can see an owner wondering why they got 3* as the review verbiage itself is complimentary.

Honestly I have seen long diatribes of responses from owners, and still their properties booked fine. One was my neighbor-competitor.

P.S. I use Android with larger font. Guess what - when I see review "stars", they wrap around to next line. So just maybe guest meant 5 *, but his/her phone only showed  3* on the first line (like mine, with other 2 stars being on line below) and that is all they filled in.

scowol Active Contributor

u0999  Well, I see it as less emotional and more childish/unprofessional.   It's so surprising that many owners continue to confuse the Reviews section as some sort of social media platform, which offers back-n-forth commentary.  The guest is not able to reply to the owner's question on the reviews page, and start a dialogue.  This is the only chance an owner has to shine.  If this were my property, I would provide a more professional response, something like...

"We are thrilled that our guests enjoyed the location of our property and the accessibility to the beach!  Since we only received positive comments from this guest, we were confused by the rating and perhaps they might have unintentionally tapped on an unintended star-rating.  We strive to provide all of our guests with a 5-star experience, so we are following up to see where we may have not met their expectations so that we can correct it for future guests."

Like I said, savvy travelers will move on as the owner's response is unprofessional, which is a sign of what to expect at the property...

u0999 Premier Contributor

while your version is unarguably better, I do not think people will move on just because of that response. If that were the case, the tons of 3-star properties by PMs would go unbooked, yet they are booked. I am beginning to think that majority (not all, but majority) look at overall star rating but hardly read. That is my impression.

I have seen worse.