7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2019 9:42 PM by timthek RSS

Just pulled the plug!

twinmountain Contributor

Well, after 10 years with VRBO, I just blocked all dates for next two years.  I'll let the listing run until they cancel it or until my subscription runs out.

I've had my own website since before VRBO, and this year so far, I have had more rentals from it than VRBO.  The straw that broke the camels back was the latest "improvement" where I don't get paid until after the guest checks in.

Adios!!

Joe

• Re: Just pulled the plug!
          kmcbhense Contributor

Congrats Joe, I can see your comfortable with your decision. Hope it all works out great for you and best of luck moving forward. I know there are several of us out there trying to figure out how we can sustain what we have and be able to pull the plug as well.

ambidextrous Active Contributor

Congrats, Joe. Can you comment on how you have traffic on your personal site that is strong enough to draw sufficient traffic? And any other tips on going it alone?

Thanks -- Lefty

twinmountain Contributor

I pay about $140 per month to a web site that is the "go to" site in my area for all things relating to the area, including housing.  They include a picture of my property, along with a brief description and a link to go to my site.  My web site is written and maintained by a person that is very familiar with making it appear in the first few search pages.  It also helps that I have a broad base of customers who keep coming back.

Thanks,

Joe

linky17 Active Contributor

Congratulations to you!

A word of caution re: "... until my subscription runs out."  It won't.  Even if you de-activate 'auto-renew,' it will turn back "on."  UGH.

Here's a recent thread on this subject ~  Auto renewal auto turns on?  My recap of a call to CS is at the end of the thread.  Might be useful.

Wishing you well.

twinmountain Contributor

I always use a virtual card number when setting up any subscription on line.  All I have to do is turn off the virtual number for VRBO when I'm done.  Capital One has cards that offer virtual numbers.  Citi Bank used to, but they started having problems so I changed to Capital One. In the past, not trusting VRBO, I would leave the card off until it is time to renew.  This time, it stays off.

Thanks,

Joe

swlinphx Premier Contributor
                    The straw that broke the camels back was the latest "improvement" where I don't get paid until after the guest checks in.

You can still get paid earlier with Advanced Payments on HomeAway's new payment system.  In fact, HomeAway is the only OTA that does still offer this I believe (at least for no additional percentage fee).