22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2019 4:06 PM by hmmmm RSS

venting about rude and needy guest

familyfirst Contributor

Here we go!

Arrived this weekend and first thing he does is complain about waiting in line at the airport to my staff....maybe it was 10 minutes! Then I get a phone call around 9 pm saying that he was dissatisfied with our 30 minute check-in tour, which not only was about the house but about the beaches, etc, we even give our guests a dinner and appetizers when they arrive. None of our lights or fans are working-all were working by the way he just didn't take the time to switch them on. Our toaster is broken-it's not, he just forget to plug it in. Then I get a text at 9 pm the next day with other issues that were NON-EXISTENT. This morning I get a text that the issues last night were corrected miraculously ....thank God these people are not vrbo renters. VRBO take a good read about these types of people. I don't mind needy people but when they are rude and 100% wrong, I have deep concerns. I'd love to hear other stories of how to handle these types of renters besides never renting to them again.

• Re: venting about rude and needy guest
          wildiris Active Contributor

familyfirst wrote:

I'd love to hear other stories of how to handle these types of renters besides never renting to them again.

We all need to vent sometimes and this is the place for it!  I think that you already know the answer to your question.  All that an owner can do is be considerate and helpful when dealing with any guest, be he rude and needy or charming and appreciative.

Here's some food for thought:

As owners, we need to keep in mind that by the time most of our guests have reached our vacation rentals, they have had a long, stressful, and difficult day.  They're tired.  If they are like me, they've had a hectic day before the day of their departure doing laundry, packing, making sure everything is in order at their house before going on vacation, etc.  They probably didn't get to bed until rather late and have gotten up early in the morning and are functioning on little sleep.  They have either been dealing with all of the "joys" associated with air travel or a long car ride.  (Or both, depending upon where they live and where the vacation rental is located.)

You didn't say what the complaint was regarding the 30-minute check-in tour.  Some guests might really appreciate such a thorough tour.  Other guests might not.  Speaking only for myself, I would hate a 30-minute check-in tour.  After a long day of traveling, all I want to do upon arrival at a vacation rental is get to the house, close the door, kick off my shoes and relax for awhile.  If I had to follow "staff" around the vacation rental for 30 minutes while they talked to me about the house and beaches, I'd be pretty grumpy, too.  Chances are that I also wouldn't remember most of what had been explained to me.

Do you have a binder at the vacation rental that contains all of the information provided in the 30-minute check-in tour?  Some guests (like me) would much rather read this information after they have had a chance to catch their breath, relax and wander around the house at their leisure while they "check things out."  If you don't already have such a detailed binder at your rental, you might want to consider creating one.  Then let your staff know that they should give guests the option of taking the 30-minute check-in tour or perusing the binder at their convenience.

familyfirst Contributor

Yes, I agree.

The complaint about the 30 min tour is that he wanted MORE of a tour. My staff gave the entire family a tour at once. He answered all their questions too, which is why it was 30 min. 10 mins of island questions.

Yes, I have a binder at the house too. I have a $4 million dollar home. I can't rely on them reading a binder, which I never did when renting anyway, which is why I send emails before they even arrive about the house. 2 x they get info and then the binder.

I'm more upset with how rude and then how wrong this dude is about everything. Saying things don't work but they do! And it's the timing, late at night where it's not an emergency situation...then Complaining about things that are his fault, lol.

wildiris Active Contributor

Fortunately, I haven't had any guests as "bad" as this.  He sounds a bit like a guest I had a couple of summers ago.  (My turn to vent!)  There were a couple of instances where this guest recognized that he had been in the wrong about something (without me saying so).  His response was to try to deflect from his mistake by finding fault with something that I had done.  The first was when he was late with the final payment (even after I had sent a couple of polite email reminders about when it was due).  He finally made the payment but then emailed me and told me that I had never sent him a copy of the signed rental agreement.  (I had, months before when the reservation was made.  I sent him another copy of the original email with the rental agreement attached.)

While at the rental, the guest telephoned me at 4:00 a.m.one morning and said that one of the smoke detectors was malfunctioning and chirping.  He told me that he had taken apart one of the hard-wired smoke detectors and tried to remove it, but the chirping hadn't stopped.  I asked him to check the carbon monoxide detector plugged in to a nearby electrical outlet to see if that was the source of the chirping.  He told me that it was not.  As it turns out, the CO detector had malfunctioned and was the source of the chirping.  I had to have an electrician come out that same day to make sure that the guest had not damaged the smoke detector system, reassemble the detector and verify that it was working properly.  (I did not charge the guest for this.)  Later that day, the guest sent me a text saying that CO detectors should be placed several feet above floor level and included a link to an article about the optimal placement for CO detectors.  Of course, the placement of the CO detector in an outlet near the baseboard had absolutely nothing to do with the chirping or the fact that the guest had mistakenly believed that the smoke detector was the source of the chirping.  I ranted about the guest to my husband and put the guest on my "do not rent" list.  (And now I'm venting here more than a year later!)

Your guest may have the same type of personality.  He and his family are probably out and about enjoying themselves during the day.  (At least I hope so for his family's sake.)  After dinner (and perhaps a few glasses of wine or a couple of cocktails), he may be stewing about how he looked foolish complaining about a toaster being broken when it simply wasn't plugged in.  He is trying to deflect from his shortcomings by sending you texts at 9:00 pm complaining about other things.  It may help to send yourself an email that notes all of the stupid things that this guest has done and end it with "put on my 'do not rent' list."  I do this.  Putting my grievances and complaints in writing (that only I will see) helps me get them out of my system. 

familyfirst Contributor

YES!!! SAME TYPE OF GUEST!!! LOL

Thank you, my wife said to me last night, "It's him, not the house, just ignore him and he will end up making himself look like a fool". And he has multiple times!

scowol Active Contributor

Misery loves company....  this morning my guests who checked in yesterday sent an email to let us know that the coffee maker was not working.  I replied within a minute and asked which machine--the Keurig K-cup or traditional drip brewer?  I also offered to have them call or text if easier for them.  He replied back to advise that the K-cup machine was broken.  I strive to provide 5-star service day and night, and it can be more challenging since I live in another state from my rentals.  So I told the guests that a replacement machine was on the way.  I called my housekeeper to and coordinated to have her pick up a new one that I ordered online at Target and would be available for pickup.  Great.  Within an hour my housekeeper had a new one at the front door in the brand new box, and all.  While at the door, my housekeeper noticed that they were coincidentally brewing coffee using the Keurig.  She politely said "Oh, it looks like it's working now!"  The father said, "Oh yeah it just started up!"  Then as my housekeeper was leaving to turn away, one of the kids yelled out "Our dad didn't know that it has a power switch!  He just kept pressing on the touch screen. He's such a dummy!"

familyfirst Contributor

I've been there. You did the right thing and I hope he apologized to your staff member. So far my guy has been silent. Everything he complained about didn't exist.  My renter is rude, very rude each time he contacted me or my staff. I hope all goes well with this stay.

I'm sure you are counting down the remaining days till they check-out.  Try to hang in here. 

Sadly, the guest did not apologize. He just shrugged and said "oh well, ha ha."   In the effort to provide 5-star service and not explain how we procured a new one, I must have misled the guest that this was nothing above and beyond.  In his eyes, the perceived ease of getting a replacement machine delivered by my housekeeper within an hour was just part of my super big VR operation, complete with a large warehouse filled with assorted small appliances, TVs and linens in storage to swap out.  After all, VR owners are the same as hotels with on-site service and staff... Silly me.  

hmmmm Senior Contributor

And for your own sanity, let vacationers know to only contact you during business hours of ???? your choice.

You are not at their beck and call for non emergencies.

If there is a real emergency, in our case, earthquake or fires, we are available 24/7.

Texting in my opinion has made people rude and demanding....Ugh, pet peeve

linky17 Active Contributor

Regardless of the value of your home, by-and-large most Guests likely 'splurge' on the cost to rent any of ours.  Seems (to me) that wildiris has provided both impartial + actionable (not to mention thoughtful/IMO) feedback to you, so to alleviate future stress?

I, for one, do not maintain a binder at either home; early on, folks took them as souvenirs.  Instead, I DO (like you) e-send pertinent details re: operating instructions -- and -- points of local interest.  However ~ I also schedule a phone call to 'run through' my instructions -- and -- any questions from the Guest ... to occur at least one week prior to arrival.

There have been many 'rant' threads posted here.  Use (dunno?) 'rant' in the "search" above.

• Re: Re: venting about rude and needy guest
                              bonesxxx Active Contributor

LoL... I had to chuckle about the guidebooks being stolen as souvenirs...  I had to write on the front of mine in big bold letters "PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS BOOKLET FROM THE CABIN (and, yes, I need to write that on here... people like souvenirs I guess)"

Here is an excerpt from mine:

Helpful Information, Cont.

Toilets

I know, right?!?!  I can hear you now: “why is this dude giving me helpful information about a toilet – I’m pretty sure I know how they work by now.”

This is for you City Slickers – you know who you are… If you are still anxious over that bit about the cell phones not working, this is for you.

The cabin is on a well and a septic field.  This means that anything flushed down the toilet must be biodegradable or the system stops up.  So please do not flush anything that didn’t come out of you.  Some old farts even say not to flush toilet paper but I am not that militant about it… in fact, I insist that you flush yours!

But please don’t flush: wrappers, gum, cigarette butts, feminine hygiene products, condoms, motor oil, or Happy Meal toys down the toilet.  Just wrap whatever the questionable object is in toilet paper and place in the lined trash container next to the toilet.  We won’t unwrap it… I swear this is true.

Or, as my Grand Daddy used to say, ‘don’t put anything in this here biffy that ain’t been et.’ Maybe I should have just left it at that.

The Sheep and Guard Dog

The lower field you drove past on your way up should have about a dozen sheep grazing on it.  A guy named Marcos cares for them which, I suppose, makes him a real life Shepherd.  When Marcos isn’t around, they are guarded by, you guessed it, a Guard Dog.  The dog is a Great Pyrenees and his name is King Kong. Kong is friendly and will let you pet him – he likes visitors.  But, be careful at first contact and make sure you are not wearing your Church Clothes. He is dirty.  And he will touch you.

Marcos knows I have AT&T so we rarely talk on the phone.  He will occasionally drive up to the cabin to see if I am around.  He drives a nice white pick-up truck.  If you see him, you can say hello or just ignore him… if he doesn’t see my truck, he will just turn around and leave.

Kitchen Counters

The kitchen counters are Old Dominion soapstone quarried from the property.  While beautiful and local, soapstone is very soft. PLEASE do not CUT anything directly on the counters and take care not to otherwise scratch/chip them. Cutting boards are to the right of the dishwasher and there are plenty of them.  (note: if there is a ‘sheen’ on the counters, it is harmless food-grade mineral oil which is used as a conditioner)

Sorry you are having to deal with this type of guest.   You have to sadly accept that you are powerless to change this type of personality or behavior.  These are people that live a life of entitlement (you are renting a $4 MILLION home).   I'd like to perhaps tongue-in-cheek state that your guest didn't "forget" to plug in the toaster. Rather, perhaps because they didn't bring along their servants, they didn't know how to use a toaster and didn't know that they must be plugged in.

From a quote I once read..  "The reason why people are mean, rude or disrespectful is because that is how they were raised.  It's the same thing for people who are nice, polite and respectful."

familyfirst Contributor

Thank you scowol, no actually when I vetted them with their address and work, etc, they live in a nice home in Florida but by no means wealthy as far as I know. They asked for a discount when booking and that was a red flag. In fact, I find my true wealthy clients are the nicest, never try to get a discount and don't complain about anything, pay on time and are very kind to my staff.  It has to be how this man was raised. I had a family once where the wife was the worst, demanding, rude, etc to my staff. The poor husband just stood there like a fool. And the daughters were spoiled brats, took photos of themselves sitting on the roof's of cars that they denied later damaging to their rental company. They needed a house with live in maids and butlers. On my do not rent list too.

linky17 Active Contributor

I suppose that it can be also said that "It takes one to know one."

familyfirst ~ I mean no disrespect, but take to heart this "rude and needy guest's" feedback, so to be preemptive in the future.  (Ex. Have "staff" plug-in the toaster, as part of the cleaning routine.)

As importantly: consider adapting some of the recommendations posted/above.

Saving yourself both time + strife.

That's all.  Best wishes.

familyfirst Contributor

linky17, what do you mean "It takes one to know one." I'm not sure what you are referring to. I have over 50 5 Star ratings for this property and have majority repeats with referrals with rave reviews of my staff and myself.  In every single review on VRBO and others, we are personally mentioned for our hospitality. This is a guest that no one could please.

familyfirst Contributor

Sorry I wanted to respond about the toaster. My housekeeping staff did not unplug it. It was the provisioning grocery delivery that the renters contracted that did, after my staff cleaned, they put all the groceries and drinks around it, hence unplugged it for some reason, maybe they moved it and then put it back. Another thing my staff mentioned is that the toaster is right under the outlet....has anyone ever seen a Cuisinart battery operated toaster? Not me, and this guy is around 54 years of age, not a senior citizen but even a senior citizen would know to check the outlet above. Not even an apology to my staff or to me for interrupting our evenings with family. and demanding something that was false. That would be the first thing I would do if I made a mistake and if I make a whole commotion about nothing. There is nothing as infuriating as a renter who is a "know it all" but actually knows nothing.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I Keep the toaster in a cupboard

familyfirst Contributor

Thank you for pointing that out. My mother does the same, it takes up room on the counter. When I rent a home, after the staff leaves, I go throughout the entire kitchen and home searching for everything. If I have questions that need answers ASAP,  I will quickly contact the person in charge with an apology for asking. If it can wait till the morning, I will contact them no earlier than 9 am. Once I had a group of ladies-they can be the most needy in my experience call my manager saying they were short 2 beach towels....they were right in the bedroom, in front of their faces when he arrived.  They apologized and tipped him for his time and gas. That is how it's done when a guest makes a mistake and owns up to it.

mauimakani Contributor

familyfirst Like you have come to realize, there will be no pleasing this particular guest. Knowing this...take a deep breath and kill them with kindness and count the days until they leave. Thankfully, you don't have to live with or vacation with this person

This is the type of guest that I would stop by at checkout to "see them off" or if not local, a quick message/email (paper trail) prior to departure to thank them for their stay and to ask them how the rest of their stay was. Then you have some documentation if he gets home and is still in a mood and decides to write a review.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Bingo

kmcbhense Contributor

They are just trying to do the "Set up" with you for asking for a discount. Watch its coming. Just cooly and calmly handle it. Tell them everything is fine, and no discount will be offered.