4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2019 5:37 PM by planthealth RSS

Anyone in the Orlando area seeing a drop in inquiries and booking?

lljpence Contributor

I have never seen it so slow for September, October, November and December and we've been booking since 2012.  I'm curious what bookings are like for other homeowners.  Is it industry wide or just our home?  We have five stars and I've decreased my rates multiple times in the past two months and not a single inquiry. It's a massive market and I will never break the top 100 to be able to use the boost, so I am hostage to the listing rank as is.  I have it listed on other sites and though they only toss a few my way occasionally, I've had no inquiry from those either.

Could it be Disney has reached the limit of their price increases and less people are going there?  Is Disney's push to reward on site guests with more perks pushing out homeowner bookings?

Just searching for ideas and thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Linda

• Re: Anyone in the Orlando area seeing a drop in inquiries and booking?
          feibus Senior Contributor

I've been booked for Oct/Nov since the beginning of summer, folks primarily from UK book my home for October, and those come in around January/February.  I even have one for Oct 2020 already from Ireland.  Only period I'm still actively trying to market is Thanksgiving, I think I had that overpriced to start, so I'm catching up to dwindling demand.

I'm already mostly booked for Feb/March as well.  There's no slowdown of people wanting to go to a theme park, although all the Disney construction might inhibit some potential guests.

As you know, this time of year is slow to see new bookings.  Once school is in swing, people don't book vacations again until the holidays come up and they realize it's freakin' cold outside and they have to book something for the kids' spring break or they'll end up on the news for a violent outburst.....

lljpence Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I am used to a slowdown at this time of the year.  I usually have Thanksgiving booked by now though.  I normally get a few bookings for Universal's Halloween days.  None this year.  February and March are still good.  I am thankful for that.  The metrics show that only 24% rate of occupancy for properties in our area for the next 30 days. It goes to 23% 60 days out and 21% 90 days out. 

I don't every recall it being that low in the past. 

planthealth Active Contributor

I'm in the NMB area and I and several other owners I know have noticed a slow down. I wonder with Thomas Cook's bankruptcy and the Carnival Cruise line decrease in stock value today are growing signs of a decrease in the overall tourism market.