12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2019 2:08 PM by ha-moderator-christi RSS

Has anyone had a booking with no name listed?

tnmountainmama Contributor

We just got a booking for next summer, but there was no name listed on it.  There was an email address and phone number, but it is strange to me that Vrbo would let someone book without listing their name.  I have attached a screenshot.

• Re: Has anyone had a booking with no name listed?
          bonesxxx Active Contributor

utterly fascinating the glitches that occur... seriously?  Vrbo had to have the name to process the payment!

In any event, I'd make sure the name is correct on your RA AND ask the renter to update their profile so it includes the name of the renter -- or call CS and see if it's something they can fix. SInce the guest has two reviews (apparently) it may just be a system error they can repair.

For me it would be important to have the name on the reservation match the name on the RA because my RA states that all communications via the renal platform are incorporated into the RA by reference.  The name is the only thing that links them.

feibus Senior Contributor

This is correct.  No credit card, no name... so there's a name somewhere, but maybe the tnmountainmama want to look at the web interface instead of mobile to see it.  Could just be a mobile bug.

I just checked the site on my computer (good idea), and no name listed there either.   I do have a name on the credit card used, I just wondered why there wasn't one listed.  Sent the renter an email immediately and still haven't heard back, which also makes me nervous.  I will be forced to call CS I guess.

wildiris Active Contributor

This is very weird.  This may be yet another glitch in HomeAway's systems, but I'd also be nervous that the traveler has figured out some way to game HomeAway's systems and is using a stolen credit card number.  I'd call CS and explain the situation.  Presumably, HomeAway has a name on the reservation.  If there isn't a name or if the name on the reservation doesn't match the name on the credit card, I would not want this booking.  Ask CS if they can cancel it for you without you being penalized.  If not, contact the guests through the HomeAway platform and tell them that due to the irregularity with the booking they will not be given access to your vacation home and they should initiate a cancellation to receive a refund.

No help from CS.  She just said, "Sometimes, guests don't put their names in.  No big deal.  You can see her name on her email address."  So, I guess this is normal to them and an email address is totally reliable.  She was super argumentative with us about it and kept saying it wasn't a big deal.

feibus Senior Contributor

As others have reported, try calling in again and seeing if you get a different answer .  Do it during business hours in Austin, so you might get better quality help.  If you're not satisfied, ask to escalate that having a reservation with no name is not how an owner should do business.  Nor is relying on unverified email addresses.

wildiris Active Contributor

The CS rep's attitude is absolutely ridiculous.  Not having the guest's name is "no big deal?"  Anyone can create a free email address with Google or Yahoo with any name they want.  Some email addresses don't have the person's name - they have something like "twinkle123."  What I find very disturbing is the fact that HomeAway doesn't require a traveler to enter a name before submitting a booking request.  What a great" partner" HomeAway if for owners.  (Although, when I think of all the other terrible things that HomeAway has done, I guess I'm really not surprised.)

The only way that I'd rent to this person is if they send a copy of a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license or passport and the name on the ID matches the name on the credit card.  (They can block out the driver's license number or passport number.)  If the name on the photo ID and credit card match, then prepare the rental agreement for that person's signature.

Has the guest responded to your email yet?  I equate a non-responsive guest as someone who won't bother to read and follow my rules.  Being non-responsive is not a good sign.

ha-moderator-christi HomeAway Employee

tnmountainmama

I apologize for the delay in answering your question and am truly sorry to hear about your customer service experience. It is possible that a traveler account may not have the name filled out generally this is seen with older accounts when we didn’t require a name but only required an email address. While customer service can’t make a change to anyone’s account without permission they could have offered to send an email to the traveler with how to update their traveler account.  An email would have included the information in the below link.

https://help.vrbo.com/articles/How-do-I-edit-my-traveler-profile