4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2019 8:24 AM by georgygirl1955 RSS

I live in the basement of the property, where would I disclose this information?

kathyallen New Member

I have a split level house with 3 bedrooms and 2 bath with living room, dining room and kitchen all upstairs.  In the lower level we have a studio apartment with a kitchen and bath.  I live in the basement.  My first renter said "I thought we rented the whole house"  I felt bad and wonder where I should have disclosed this.  My second renter I told them up front in an email pre-arrival.  Though they said they were fine with that, I found myself staying with friends because the dogs would whine when I was downstairs.  I know many people rent rooms and portions of their house, I just don;t know how to make it clear in advance within the Hospitality suite or the listing so I am providing full disclosure. 

I also offer lots of extras and I need to find where to add these things too.  Help advice needed.

• Re: I live in the basement of the property, where would I disclose this information?
          bonesxxx Active Contributor

I would put it right in the description... and up high, not buried near the bottom.  It's an important fact to disclose very clearly. Especially on VRBO since most renters assume they are renting the entire place - ABB might be different since a lot of people rent rooms in houses.

Most of us don't use the hospitality suite and I don't think most guests use it either.  Everything needs to go in the description (including things to do in the area).

And then mention it again in your confirmation email and again in your rental agreement.

That way there should be no surprises and you won't be subject to credit card chargeback if the guest claims you didn't disclose that you also live there.

• Re: I live in the basement of the property, where would I disclose this information?
            margaret CommunityAmbassador

I would add to what bonesxxx has already told you to make a note in your house rules. Guests are presented the house rules before finalizing their reservation.

green_mango Active Contributor

You might find that Airbnb is better geared towards listings that aren't whole-home.  While it sounds like you have a separate entrance etc., I'd make it very very clear on your listing in several places - VRBO features whole home/condo rentals so your guests expectations may not be met as well on VRBO.

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

Absolutely you do NOT need scream "I am here"  high up in the description..... otherwise you will be placing a huge warning sign on your listing saying to potential seekers"......

"please do not book my property ".

Rather, first extol the wonderful virtues of your rental home, and also the reasons it is special....after all the renters really are getting an entire house.

Later down in the description,,  in several places, including with the 3 rules, reiterate that you live in the basement but guests are given privacy ( I assume they are ), and that they also may hear some noise from yours and doggie's existance.

Say it again in your contract. Loud and Clear. Make sure they know absolutely that you are on site...but not the first sentence of your lisiting.

There is a huge benefit to some guests when an owner is on property...to answer questions, to direct local events, and to to fix problems quickly.

You must let them know...some travellers will not want to rent your home,  and on the other hand, other travelers will like it better.

I know....for 10 years I have rented my main house while living in an attached apartment.

Women's groups especially love having us on site.

Good luck !