16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2019 8:43 PM by casitacynthiasantafe RSS

Is CSA a scam?

kiawahbill Contributor

So our renters had a Saturday to Sat. booking last week and had to leave SC on Monday due to the Dorian mandatory evacuation. 

They purchased CSA insurance and are being told since they checked in CSA will NOT offer a refund for the 5 days they could not stay.   CSA told the renter to call us!  Seems like to scam. 

Is CSA ligit??

• Re: Is CSA a scam?
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

I had the same experience last year with hurricane Florence. The guest paid for the insurance but were deny because they checked in and stayed several days before the hurricane was heading our way. I was not happy about it either, I refunded. I agree it does seem like a scam

ohst8er Premier Contributor

Here ya go!   I hope this makes more sense to you than it does to me!   https://www.vacationrentalinsurance.com/hurricane.do

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Did they just call CSA or did they actually file a claim (first step: they file an on-line claim - which could take weeks to process and will also require your involvement per the link above)? Did CSA reimburse/cover them for alternative accommodations after they left your rental (did they immediately contact CSA upon Evacuation)? When was the mandatory evacuation "lifted" and how many days remained on their original stay at that point? Did they voluntarily decide not to return to your home at that time? I just took a quick glance at the CSA link provided above, but I think these may be the key points they consider when determining what, if anything, "May Be" reimbursed per their contract language. In any case, I would NOT be considering refunding these guests directly (if at all depending on your rental agreement language) until a valid CSA claim has been processed, along with your input/documentation as indicated in the link, regarding their reservation.  In my experience with another travel insurer, it can takes weeks and multiple "back and forths" to successfully resolve a claim in one's favor. The burden is on your renter and not on you at this point (again depending on your RA language RE: Mandatory Evacuations, etc.).

feibus Senior Contributor

You are only obligated to do what your RA says you should do.  If their trip insurance is insufficient for the situation, that's on the guest for not understanding the policy.

Our RA says we'll refund any nights we're under mandatory evacuation or the airport is closed or if our home becomes uninhabitable.  If they decide to quit their vacation and our home is inhabitable after a hurricane, that's on the guest, not us.

In my case, during hurricane Florence, the guest were already well into 2 week stay when a mandatory evacuation was announced. They had the insurance but they refused to pay out. I asked Erin to look into this, she confirmed my guest were not cover because they had already check in. As per my RA, I refunded for days under mandatory evacuations. I now recommend that my guest choose a different travel insurance, ask specific questions about coverage and read the fine print.

feibus Senior Contributor

It's ALWAYS about the fine print and I prefer insuremytrip.com for my trip insurance than CSA and that's what I recommend to my guests who ask (and some ask because of my "no refunds unless I can rebook" policy).

CSA is legit, but they offer poor overpriced products to unsuspecting guests.

I didn't recommend CSA to the guest, they chose it at check out I suppose. I do recommend travel insurance and discuss hurricane season with guests who are booking during that time of year. If ask, I give them links to compare different options.

kiawahbill Contributor

Same situation with our guest.  Mandatory evacuation two days into a week long stay, CSA is refusing to pay.  They told the guest the needed to have upgraded to  "travel interruption" insurance.  But guess what?  VRBO only offers one option, the one that doesn't pay on the majority of scenarios

100% our guest feels scammed by Vrbo and I don't blame them one bit.  They are ****** and say they'll never book on the platform again.

Vrbo, you just lost a customer for life over the $20 cut you made on crappy travel insurance.  How does that business decision make sense to leadership?  Seriously, time to grow up and be a big boy company Vrbo.  Offer good insurance options that guests can easily understand.

Moderatore, please don't finger point.  Vrbo is the point of sale for the insurance so Vrbo is on the hook for offering a quality product. 

Please escalate this issue.  Thank You

My guest was also disgusted with the situation and like your guest placed the blame on VRBO. There were several owners who reported this same issue last fall, a year later there is still no change.

kiawahbill Contributor

Just to be clear, we support the platform and book the vast majority of our guests through Vrbo.  Hopefully, this feedback will be received and acted on.  None of us want to lose valuable customers.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

FYI, it's actually called Generali Global Assistance now, not CSA. 

casitacynthiasantafe New Member

I had a great experience with CSA recently. The traveller booked for New Year's Eve, and was driving from Austin to Santa Fe. A blizzard closed I-40 while the guest was en route, and she reluctantly turned back. Her entire payment was refunded very quickly and she was very pleased. I am quite disappointed to learn about the situation that OP kiawabill describes.