8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2019 7:05 PM by auntytammy RSS

What is Homeaway refusing advance payments despite their promises ?

dada New Member

I used to have realtime payments with Yapstone.

After 2 weeks of chaos and miscommunication, I was promised that Homeaway would also offer direct payments.

On Tuesday, I got an email from HomeAway informing me that I was NOT eligible for realtime payments on their new system.

They seem to be computing the number of cancellations by including payment requests that were sent to tenants who wanted to book but never did.

Needless to say that, despite being a premium member, I get no reply to my emails.

I am sick and tired, I spent half of my time trying to make sense of a people who pretend to value their clients, but actually just plunder them.

• Re: What is Homeaway refusing advance payments despite their promises ?
          dada New Member

Just got a reply from HomeAway saying that I am back on "Advance Payments".

linky17 Active Contributor

Great = That you've apparently re-captured where + with whom you want to be vis-à-vis re: Vrbo/HA's so-called "Advanced Payments."

One word of caution which, truly, is One Word: 't-e-n-a-n-t/-s.'  Be careful.  "Tenant" generally refers to + assumes long-term 'occupancy.'  Whereas "Guest" is generally the proper usage/reference for those engaging short-term VRPs.

Best to re-review your rental agreement (versus 'lease') with an attorney who is versed in the law applicable to your locale.

dada New Member

Don't worry linky, my contracts use the word Client and they are specifically named Rental Agreement and not lease.

Am I lucky not to be living in a land of broken justice and nitpicking lawyers ...

linky17 Active Contributor

Rock on!  As we now know, words -- even if it's just one ("tenants," per your OP) -- DO matter.  Delighted that you're on top of it all.

Are you "lucky not to be living in a land of broken justice and nitpicking lawyers … ?"  Don't know.  But fingers crossed that A) You don't 'land' at the 'foul' end of a nitpicking "Client" -- and -- B) You have an iron-clad RA to cushion any risk of a fall.

Best wishes.

dada New Member

Somehow this has nothing to do with my original post and therefore is probably of no interest for other members.

From a semantic perspective, when talking about someone who is paying to stay at a condo, the English language uses the word tenant. In fact, it has been so since the Middle Ages.

I have been in the business for over 15 years, 8 of them on VRBO with several properties. During that time, I have seen much worse than nit-picking, believe me ...

Our Rental Agreements fit the legal framework of the countries where each property is located. We have refined them working on each experience. They are probably still perfectible. However, there is a subtle tradeoff between having the perfect 30-page contract and landing bookings.

That's all I will say in this thread

auntytammy Contributor

On a related subject, I have been waiting for the dust to settle before launching a second property. Thinking I was good to go (since I have now been approved for "Early Payments" under the new system), I decided to be sure and read the listing agreement. To my surprise the new property will be treated as just that--an entirely NEW listing?! Apparently, my long-standing history with HomeAway has no bearing on the new property even though it appears on MY dashboard?! Needless to say, I have yet to launch the property. This is a deal-breaker for me. Has anyone else experienced this treatment with additional properties?

dada New Member

Yes Tammy, I had the same on one property, out of the 3 that I manage thru them.

The email claimed that I had too many cancellations. In fact, any payment request sent to a potential guest and that is not accepted is computed as a cancellation. This is obviously wrong and let my oldest, and also most profitable for HomeAway, to be set back to payments on arrival.

Fortunately, I had kept an email from Homeaway stating that all my 3 properties would be granted "Advance Payments".

After a few emails, I got a message stating that all my 3 properties were now on Homeaway direct payments (wrongly called "Advance Payments").

My advice is to make your case, and if possible, find the first name of someone who replied to you from their support. Write to them directly, they maybe know you. I have abundant emails that I have exchanged with them, I take what is happening to us owners very seriously.

Let me know how you get on.

auntytammy Contributor

Aloha dada ~ Thank you for sharing your experience. I especially appreciate learning about the issue with payment/booking requests. I, personally, no longer give potential Guests Pre-Approval to Book. At the very least, doing so ties-up my calendar.

As for my second property, unlike your three, it would be NEW so has no history. In fact, it has never been offered as a VR to date. Regardless, seems to me that based upon MY track record, it should be put on the so-called Advance Payments aka Early Payments under the new system.

I guess I will just need to reach the right rep. Supposedly, I have had one assigned to me, but....

Again, thank you!