16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2019 5:53 PM by countrygirl212 RSS

"Early" payments - way too late!

u0999 Premier Contributor

Here is current real life scenario. I am on "early" payments. Guest booked on Sep 3rd last minute for Sep 4-8th. According to this I may be paid as late as Sep 18th, way after the guest is gone.

This is EARLY payments? This is late by at least 10 or as many as 15 days!  Don't tell me about technology. I have worked for large banks last 22 years, among those 14 years on issuer side, and 3 on acquirer side. it does NOT take 10-15 days to settle credit card transaction and get funded. Something is fishy here. 

• Re: "Early" payments - way too late!
          tnmountainmama Contributor

Yep, it seems even early payments aren't early.  I didn't even get early payments, so all my bookings are a risk, but apparently with early payments, you can't accept last minute bookings without risk.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Under the new Payment T&C's, they may need an additional week "to disburse your payout" in order to ensure that there were no "guest complaints" that would lead to HA refunding "your" $$$$ to "your" guests?

Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event a Guest provides correct notice to the website the Property was booked through within 24 hours of the scheduled check in that the Property is not as described, or there is some other issue with the Property, You authorize us to return the Accommodation Fees to the Guest.

countrygirl212 New Member

I am on hold with HA right now.... supposedly if you get a booking within 8 weeks instead of 7 days of holding the funds.  They require 10-14. 

I asked to see were that is in the T &C.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I am not sure what 8 weeks has to do with anything. The information they have been giving is that for early payments funds will be released 7 days after the guest pays. It may then take your bank another 3-7 days to process on their end. If you have been using Yapstone or any other processor, you should have a good idea of the time your bank takes to make the funds available once they are released by the processor. I think the rep you are speaking with is confused or you misunderstood.

I wish I had.  I was very specific, if someone booked now for this next weekend, the funds would NOT be dispersed the day after check in.  I spoke with a supervisor / resolution dept also.  Since it is so close they would hold the funds.  

granted, they might have misunderstood the policy they were telling me.  But that is what two of them said today.

mauimarcia Contributor
                    I do think we will all need to update our RAs for Vrbo bookings to include language related to any guests using this new "complaint" process. For example, they will need to immediately vacate the property, and that's as far as I have thought it through at this point!

I don't recommend putting anything related to complaint-related refunds into your rental agreement as that will put the idea into some people's heads that they can play that game.  In addition, since it would be Homeaway that would be granting a refund due to complaints, not you, I'm not sure your rental agreement would even count in the eyes of Homeaway.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

I agree in theory, didn't want to mention it above to avoid feedback like yours, but mentioned it now as it is an important question for those having their attorneys taking a look at their agreements. There does need to be language in our agreements (which although HA may not "honor" are important for any legal action we make take as a result), that addresses this "vague" potential to ensure that if anyone does "complain in order to initiate a refund within 24 hours" that they must immediately vacate. Again, the wording should be written and/or reviewed by an attorney familiar (if any) with this type of potential. If the language is not there (in some format) the guest would be under no obligation to leave our rental homes until the end of their stay since HA's T&Cs do not currently address what happens after they have initiated a refund complaint, unless I missed that?

erika Contributor

How is it that VRBO/HA still hasn't provided any response on the dozens of concerns about the "other reason" language?

Not to mention the "edited" post where there is no longer a guarantee of early payments upon signup for those receiving the 45 day email.

amanda_ha, samantha_ha - We need help here.

Meanwhile, probably will need to put liquidated damages into the contract for anyone seeking a refund by any other channel. There are no refunds for any reason on my house. This has been explicit for years and keeping a strong policy has prevented many problems that would have arisen otherwise. Prevention is so much better for everyone involved than proliferating customer service "claims" and taking renters to court.

Hey U099:  Did you make sure your bank info and tax info have been approved? 

My disbursement date kept changing b/c come to find out, something wasn't approved.  ... their end.

I won't know for sure until my next booking... but what I think most of the problem is, is that with yapstone, it listed the disbursement day the day of booking, yet we didn't get the email for about 5 days.  My money was in my account the same number of days after I received the email as it was with yapstone.  The email came from HA the day of disbursement.

So if the if my next booking gets dispersed when it is supposed to, I believe that it is only going to be taking about 2-3 business days longer with HA than yapstone.   Hopefully someone will ask Customer Service to verify this and begin explaining it better.