18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2019 3:34 PM by feibus RSS

More payment questions - Yapstone balance payments

koko Active Contributor

I have 3 or 4 bookings for next year. In each case there was a deposit from 1c to 25% down.

Now these people are being asked for the balance payment at some time in the future.  In the case of the 1c down it will be easy because they pay cash. But the rest of them will now get a payment request from Yapstone and not HomeAwayPayments.

Never mind the confusing terminalogy between VacationRentalPayments and HomeAwayPayments.

Is anyone intending to let these guests know what has transpired in the past week and how they can pay their balances going forward?

In my opinion, Yapstone has no right anymore to collect anything from my guests. I do not have an account with them anymore.

I do not trust them (anymore) and I think I should be given the option to let my guests know that Yapstone cannot collect from them anymore...........or can they?

What is the contractual situation here? I am just thrown in the middle of this mess along with my guests. Someone have an answer?

• Re: More payment questions - Yapstone balance payments
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

koko Yapstone will be collecting the remaining monies from your current bookings that have balances.  I would tell those guests NOTHING.  Nothing changes for them.  Why muddy the waters?  And YES, you do still have an acct with Yapstone and WILL until these bookings are all PIF.

koko Active Contributor

Hm that is sure the way HA sees it - but now these payments are not under the contract the down payments were initiated because:

When they made their initial payments I was on "preferred payments" because under that contract Yapstone processed that payment at 3% and sent it to my bank straight away.

Now they changed the contract without my consent, changed the term of payments I did not agree to and I have a different CC processor.

Where in all this was I notified how this transition should, will and can work without us guessing like mad and monies flying through the banking systems without aim.

What makes you so sure that Yapstone will be honest about all that? They had no qualms upsetting 1/2 million apple carts.

I am sorry to say that I do not like the feeling of holding the bag.

And are you telling me that Yapstone will collect under the Vacation Rental Banner the balances? No, not really, or?

Yapstone is in the picture until ALL of the current bookings have been paid in full.  Yours, mine, everyone.  I'm not crazy about it either, but it is what it is.  IMHO I WOULD NOT involve my guests.  It makes no difference TO THEM, who collects their monies. 

scowol Active Contributor

This is under the "Don't shoot the messenger" banner.   The argument that YapStone changed the terms without consent and that you didn't agree to the changes is not material.   YapStone communicated to us by email.  That is all they had to do per the original agreement we all signed.   Most of us (including me!) just blew through this legalese and agreed to the T&C so that we could sign up for HA payments years ago...

So in a nutshell, they can do whatever they want, provided they simply send an email to you.

https://www.yapstone.com/legal/vacation-rental-property-owner-agreement-us/

12.5 Amendment and Changes. This Agreement may be changed or amended by YapStone or Acquirer at any time without notice, provided that, any changes that would significantly adversely affect You will be communicated to You by email, posting on the Website, or other writing. Your continued use of YapStone’s Website or Services after the posting of any change or amendment on YapStone’s Website or by email will constitute Your agreement to such change or amendment; provided however, if You do not agree to such change or amendment, You can terminate the Agreement in accordance with Section 9.2 of this Agreement if You provide such notice of termination within thirty (30) days following the date You become aware of the change.  Amendments or changes by made You are only effective by a writing signed by both parties. Acquirer may amend this Agreement as it relates to Acquirer’s processing of Card transactions upon notice to You in accordance with Acquirer’s standard operating procedures.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Have you considered asking these guests to "cancel" and "rebook" their reservations again with HA if you now have on-time payments with HA?  I won't suggest what I would do!

feibus Senior Contributor

Against the ToS and "marketplace standards", which can get you a warning on the forums for even thinking about it.

koko Active Contributor

No I have not considered that because they already paid down payments and it would be a nightmare to reconcile all that stuff.

There is also no need to do so because all I want is an official email going to these guests which states:

we split up with Yapstone, we are now doing that and don't be surprised if you get a Yapstone bill, it's ok.

or: we are collecting your balance now because we let Yapstone get the better of all of us.

I don't care what the message is, but I do care that guests are being advised of what is happening with THEIR payments.

Would I be one of them I would not question a different payment due notice than the first one.

Or it is indeed the case that they operate still under the HA banner as they were - and then I am more confused than ever.

feibus Senior Contributor

In the past, the guest did not get a "Yapstone bill".  Yapstone was the merchant processor, not the merchant.  The merchant was Vrbo or Homeaway.  Same as now.  It's like you owning a store and switching from PayPal to Square.  Why would the customer even care, since they're handing you the credit card, you charge it, and then on their statement, it has the name of your store on it just like before?

I‘m with feibus here, koko, I see no upside in involving the guest in this mess.

hawaiiparadise Contributor

The assumption seems to be travelers don't know.   We are finding at least some do. We are getting questions like:

"What happened" (which seems to really be about is their reservation ok)

"What if my 2nd payment gets screwed up"  (e.g. if I don't get billed, or it gets held up, or......will I lose my reservation and deposit)

"Is the processor in financial trouble" (will I get my security deposit back since my trip is several months out)

Other than "we'll work with you" we don't seem to be in position to offer much comfort.

My guess is it is only a matter of time before a booked guests asks to either make their 2nd payment direct or asks to cancel and re-book.  Then what?  Tough situation seems to get worse.

Mods if you are listening,  I'll suggest HA provide temporary relief to the marketplace standards for the betterment of traveler experiences - if the guest asks, let us help them in the way they find most comfortable and comforting.   Let's prioritize preserving positive guest experiences.

If they know they probably read about it on Facebook. I would just tell them what Feibus said,  it isn’t any different than if a retailer change from PayPal  to square pay.

hawaiiparadise Contributor

Hi ohst8er.   Not sure where/how they learned.   Maybe from friend/neighbor/relative "in the business", maybe from social media. 

In any case, they do understand HA has switched payment processors.   That's alone doesn't seem concerning.   What does concern them is they hear the transition is messy and their business will be handled by the legacy processor, not the new (and presumably "good") one.   That's my interpretation of what may underlie the "I still have to finish paying for my reservation, is that going to go OK or create a problem for me" concern. 

In the case of the security deposit questions, they know from our RA the deposit is held by others.  My sense is that concern stems from perception the legacy processor just displayed a strong need to preserve cash along with knowing quite a bit of time will lapse between when they fund the deposit and when they check out.

Like many on this forum, we operate in "under-promise, over-deliver" mode.  Providing a "don't worry all will be well" response seems more than a touch optimistic at this point.  Maybe in a couple months when the dust settles that approach could make sense as we'll have some direct, personal experience under our belt.

koko Active Contributor

You are right in the technical aspect of this, whereby a MOR is also obligated to collect taxes and has all responsibility to the customer. The little difference here is that the MOR changed it's name and therefore will be recognized as a different entity.

Considering all which has gone down I doubt guests are unaware and it would be just common courtesy and reassurance that all is well..

I guess I wanted my guests to feel like they will be taken care of, instead they feel like a lot of us in here without a moderator's word of information for days.