Hello mauimarcia, the post was marked as answered as there is no specific answer to the question. The community members have answered it with different scenarios that are all valid.
As an agent I have seen different reasons why a property owner has given a refund after check-in:
1. The Traveler has an emergency and has to leave the property, and the Property Owner wanted to give them a refund.
2. Natural Disasters: the traveler was not able to complete their stay, or even stay at all the property. The property owner did not have a chance to refund pre-stay as they were also evacuating but felt that the right thing was to give a refund or partial refund.
3. Property owner double-booked, and didn't know they double booked until check-in.
4. Property owner didn't realize they had a reservation, and the traveler was not able to stay at the property.
5. The oven broke, and it took a day to fix it, and the property owner wanted to give a refund for the inconvenience.
There are so many different scenarios of when a refund is done after check-in.
different reasons why a property owner has given a refund after check-in:
I'm afraid you have a serious misunderstanding of what the other thread was about and why property owners who depend on VRBO are upset about the new explicit statement in the terms of service about the possibility of Homeaway giving out refunds to a complaining guest without even necessarily consulting the owner.
The concern is that property owners are being asked to sign away the ability to decide whether or not a complaining guest is given a refund and give that authority to Homeaway, which will have sole discretion over that decision. Even worse, we have not been told which circumstances, from the point of view of the company which would then have the authority to make this decision, would justify Homeaway giving a refund to the guest.
This is most unfair and very troubling. It's the one and only reason why I have not yet switched to the Homeaway payment system, even though I was invited to do so. And others in the thread expressed the same concern. This is what was not answered and still needs an official answer from the company.
As an agent?? Was this a previous job at Vrbo ha-moderator-annalisa?
As an agent I have seen different reasons why a property owner has given a refund after check-in.
I've given refunds for other reasons not listed.
I don't think owners need to be told reason for a refund. As mauimarcia noted, you listed property owner reasons. That wasn't the question. Also, why is something that has no definitive answer marked as answered.