19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2019 1:57 PM by myrtlebeachmeister RSS

An "Industry Standard"??

martyp Contributor

During the webinar, the VRBO speakers provided a justification for delayed-deposit because it is an “Industry Standard”. They then referenced Airbnb. Delayed-deposit is NOT an industry standard.

VRBO has incorporated two business under one roof: 1. a booking platform and, 2. a credit card processor. The credit card processor is the portion of their business that is delaying our deposits. It is NOT an industry standard among credit card processors to delay deposits. My credit card processor has my direct booking deposits in my account the very next day. My credit card processor doesn’t even know that I am taking payment for a rental, vs a damage deposit, vs payment for damage.

VRBO needs to behave like the credit card processor industry.

BTW: I bold type the letter O in VRBO to emphasize that we are owners and the O in VRBO stands for owners.  The speakers never once mentioned the word "owners".

• Re: An "Industry Standard"??
          georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

I was, honestly, shocked ( and appalled ) that the speaker referred directly to AirBnb as setting the "industry standard" in payment processing.

This is a general VRBO admittance ( to me ) that they are continually chasing, copying,  and implementing the parameters and procedures of AirBnb and AirBnb is now the Leader is establishing the "industry standards".

I suspect if the speaker could take those words back, he would, but once said they can't be unsaid.

I think that was one of the most meaningful statements of the entire town hall.

u0999 Premier Contributor

Sad, really, that a company that had distinct market and advantage is spending so much time and effort chasing someone else's market which isn't truly compatible while in process, alienating its traditional customers.

people were using vrbo precisely because it is NOT airbnb. Instead of being DIFFERENT and DISTINCT, they choose to be a pale copycat.

And no, payouts after check in is NOT industry standard. I am listed on booking dor com and guess what. I handle my own payment via ownerrez channel manager.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Exactly!! I find that vrbo/ha has a better guest (for me) than Abb (recently declined 2 from them...long story).

vrbo/ha was and should continue to be the class act, not the rent out every room, RV, I even saw a motorcycle on there. SERIOUSLY?? (Just to add this was ABB)

I want guests who are going to use my home for its intended purpose, not parties, not weddings, not graduation celebrations, not family reunions, etc. etc. Sure they can stay so they can attend those things, but NO, I don’t want them in my home with upteen people who will of course be too busy having fun to care about how my home is treated in the moment.  I get that from vrbo/ha, I don’t get that from abb!

When will people READ! Please don’t follow any other platform standard vrbo.....be the class act that we all want and know you can be!

Edited

martyp Contributor

Let me add, "... the class act that VRBO used to be."  Back when I signed up, I was a customer.  VRBO sold us a set of web pages that we could use for advertising OUR  properties. 

One of the VRBO actions that has incensed me is that they no longer consider the web pages as MY web pages.  After paying them $499/year for my web pages, VRBO is advertising my COMPETITION on MY web pages, the pages that I paid for. ...

"You might like these similar properties"

That would be like Coke buying advertising on ABC and ABC running a line at the bottom that says, "You might also consider Pepsi"

Today, VRBO has forgotten that we are customers.  During the webinar, the guy in the jacket almost called us customers.  He said, "custo ... partners"  They referred to yapstone and PayPal as partners, but VRBO identified them by name; VRBO would not identify us as"owners".

VRBO is really the only significant game in town today, but they are taking us customers for granted and treating us with disrespect.  I have no intention of leaving VRBO, but if VRBO fails to treat their customers with respect, VRBO may someday lose enough market share and go the way of the IBM PC.  I do not wish this to be the case.  I wish that VRBO take notice of those of us who are trying to reach VRBO.

captmarkhd Senior Contributor

I couldn’t agree with you more. Do you think that Expedia pays the airlines one day after a persons flight? This is a MAJOR power grab by HA and another way to control and coerce owners.

moosebigd Active Contributor

I don't like being compared to the hotel industry, but perhaps this one comparison is worth considering...  Do hotels wait until guest check in or several days after arrival to have credit card payments put into their accounts?

scowol Active Contributor

moosebigd   Don't shoot the messenger!   Actually, yes.

I have a friend who has a small boutique hotel that is available to book via OTA, including Expedia, and I shared the frustration of Yapstone moving to "check-in payments."   My hotel friend was surprised, and said to me, "Well, actually, that's the norm."  Per the blue boxes, the hotelier invoices Expedia after the stay.

Annotation 2019-08-30 113808.png

I fully agree that VRs are not hotels, and thus Vrbo should not chase the same model.  An individual (i.e., not a licensed, full-fledged business) renting out their home should certainly not be lumped into a hotel business model.  

Again, don't shoot the messenger here!  I was just as shocked...

feibus Senior Contributor

I've heard this as well.  VRs, because we used to collect the money ourselves, are used to receiving the money a day or two after the CC is processed.  THAT model is the "industry standard" for professionally run vacation rentals.  It's the ABBs catering to rooms in homes that made the unprofessional seem professional (while still treating those homeowners like they're not professional at all) and Vrbo wants to emulate that??

martyp Contributor

In 2015, I took a vacation and booked a hotel with booking.com.  I rushed to book because it listed only one room remaining ... I should have called the hotel.  When I arrived, there were plenty of rooms. It was a small mom&pop hotel and we got to know the hotel owner quite well (the lady serving breakfast was the owner).  That is when I stopped using booking companies like booking.com and Expedia; I book direct.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Yes, this can be true, but I use Expedia for most of my travel and my experience is the opposite. I look at prices on Expedia and then on the hotel website and usually I get a better deal with Expedia. Don’t know if it is because I have been with them for years and years and have their Expedia credit card??? Don’t know, but my experience is just the opposite of what I have heard others say similar to what you say????

koko Contributor

That business model makes perfect sense when you deal with an ungodly amount of short term bookings, cancellations, date changes and multitude of different tickets like hotel, flight, car rental and possibly Mickey Mouse .

The cash flow of a hotel is in the millions, home owners only have thousands and hundreds and were never set up that way to begin with.

Home owners have one house, some two to five, but not hundreds of rooms. Home owners host longer term guests, hotels max a week. The clientele is very different, from business to stop over. VRBO owners provide a vacation experience, personalized service and attention to detail.

In the end it would not make a difference when you get paid, as long as you get paid. But for me you would have to be able to trust the company you are dealing with - which I do not anymore.

hotelettellc New Member

Hotels do NOT get their money from Expedia before check-in.  Expedia is VRBO.

feibus Senior Contributor

It's the same nonsense Yapstone tried to use to explain away their 3% money grab.

When you don't have any imagination, you claim you're just following everyone else's bad example.  Always turns out well, right?

margaret CommunityAmbassador

It is disappointing that HA/VRBO/Expedia execs are referring to ABB as the industry standard. I guess industry standards have been lowered!

koko Contributor

I am unclear which industry standard he might have referred to.

The industry of collecting data on a website and then skimming of the top is not very old. I remember Expedia's IPO in the last century and what I thought then has been proven true, sadly.

An industry to me is something tangible, not data on servers with people making up the rules as they go.

This is a power play - not an industry.

Hotels and service are an industry. But they are regulated and accountable.

The internet conglomerates have to be regulated, separated and "controlled". Right now they are out of control.

u0999 Premier Contributor

They need to break up this 21st century monopolies just like they did in the 20th century and before. Too much control, too much concentration, too many options that after looking, aren't options at all. Just same data regurgitated in a different way.