4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2019 8:49 PM by ohst8er RSS

How to edit your Base Rate

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

How to edit your Base Rate:

Base Rates.PNG

Your base rate can be the same amount for every night or you can change it to be a different amount for any night of the week.

1. Log in to your account
      2. If you have more than one listing, select the listing you want to edit
      3. Click on the Calendar icon in the left navigation menu
      4. Select Rates from the drop-down menu
      5. Click the gear icon located on the top right corner of your rates page, this will open up your Settings
      6. Click Base Rate & Discounts
      7. Under Nightly rate type, select Rate per night of week or One night only
      8. Enter amount
      9. Scroll down the bottom of the page and click Save

Changing the base rate will only change dates that have not been overridden previously for a specific time period.

How to override your Base Rate:

Override.PNG

If you would like to offer a different nightly rate for a specific day or date range, this can be accomplished by selecting a time period directly on the calendar.

1. Log in to your account
      2. If you have more than one listing, select the listing you want to edit
      3. Click on the Calendar icon in the left navigation menu
      4. Select Rates from the drop-down menu
      5. Click on the specific date or date range directly on the calendar
      6. The Edit Rate panel will appear on the right side of the page
      7. Once you have made your changes, Click Save rate

Watch a video guide with step-by-step instructions here.

• Re: How to edit your Base Rate
          feibus Senior Contributor

Something to consider as you set the rate: the rate only applies if you haven't overridden the rate for specific dates... which most likely will happen for dates further out, since those are the ones people tend to forget about until they're accidentally/suddenly available on the calendar (the availability setting for the rates calendar).  So... set your default HIGH to make sure you don't accidentally sell far-out expensive nights at your base rate.

kmcbhense Contributor

Whats really the purpose of the base rate anyway? I really don't understand it, as we have lots of different rate periods thru out the year. Set it too low, and guests assume that's what they will pay even during peak times of the year. I really wish they would blow it up!

ohst8er Premier Contributor

For VRBO purposes it is the default rate that a guest would book at if you had not yet gotten around to setting your rates for x date in the future. 

I agree with you kmcbhense  and I told CS I didn't want to use a base rate, I said I would never not have rates set and planned out. 

I did not have one for some time, but at some point in the world of upgrades or updates or being pushed onto the new rates editor I was forced to create one.  The base rate should be higher than any rate you offer for any time period.  So essentially it's like a hotel rack rate, that rate only a fool would pay, unless the place is almost sold out and there's nowhere else to go.