28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2019 10:38 AM by johnz RSS

Guest left nitpicking review and now wants to come back!

pebblebeach New Member

We had all 5 star reviews until she left a 3 star, complaining about various trivial issues that no one had ever complained about before.  I wouldn't object to renting to her again, but only directly and not through VRBO where she can leave another suboptimal review due to whatever she finds wrong this time.  How should I respond to her since she requested to book again through VRBO?  I don't want to hurt the "metrics" by simply declining her.  Thanks.

• Re: Guest left nitpicking review and now wants to come back!
          linky17 Active Contributor

Should you care to share the review itself?  (Absent, of course, identifying specifics) > There are many talented folks < here > who -- likely -- will provide you with stellar advice + well-crafted, reasonable responses.

wildiris Active Contributor

I think that you can respond to her booking request by giving her a new quote for her requested dates at 3 times your normal rate.  You can also send her a comment that you are very surprised that she wants to stay at your vacation rental again after giving it a poor review after her first stay. 

This woman is either absolutely clueless or incredibly self-entitled.  My guess is the latter.  Either way, I would not want her staying at my rental again, regardless of where the booking originates.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

pebblebeach...

You could do what wildiris suggested or....  You could call her and discuss her other issues.  Mention to her that you'd love to have her BUT, your first goal is to make sure you are able to satisfy all your guests.  Mention it seems you fell short on her last trip.  Mention that VRBO owners live and die by their reviews, and you want to make sure that your location is indeed the correct place for her.  Then let her talk.  Without knowing what her issues were I can't really tell you whether they were indeed nitpicky or not.  You felt they were nitpicky and since you did (regardless if they were or not), you aren't going to feel comfortable booking her again until you can address this and move on.  Just my suggestion for what it's worth. 

Also note, once someone inquires on VRBO, they are a VRBO inquiry.  I would be very wary of moving them off platform (in fact, I would say DO NOT move them off platform.) 

wildiris has given good advice.

Still, you say "I wouldn't object to renting to her again."  So, are her complaints about "various, trivial issues" things that you can or care to rectify?

Again, not sure how anyone can give you optimum feedback absent her posted review.

pebblebeach New Member

She gave us 3 stars because she said the master bedroom and bath were "outdated," even though detailed pictures are posted on our listing.  We have had hundreds of guests and no one has ever complained of this before.

And she said that she had back problems and the mattress prevented her from enjoying her stay.  She then warned any one with back problems that they would probably not enjoy their stay either. 

I realize that every mattress doesn't work for every person, but it is not feasible to have a specialized mattress for each individual, especially those with back problems who may have particular requirements in a mattress. Her party only consisted of two adults, and we have 2 other bedrooms with three other beds of varying firmness and manufacturers, so I think she could have found a place to sleep.   I also think she could have expressed her problem to us through private correspondence, rather than publicly ruining our record of good reviews. 

So I am nervous about exposing myself to another review from her. 

Thank you for the replies. 

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I would tell the guest honestly that you are hesitant to accept due to the review she left after her previous stay. Explain that you strive to provide all guest with a great 5 star experience. Some people think 3 stars=average. Some people think they have to say something negative in a review. Explain how the review system works. Apparently, she was happy enough with the stay since she wants to return. Try to address the picky issues she brought up, maybe you can turn her 3 star into a 5 star review this time around.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Great advice already given above.  I'd be tempted to tell her that if she removes her 3* review you might consider letting her return (and then wouldn't let her)! If the 14-day window has expired with your rating of her, she can't leave another review?  I'm (partially) kidding so no scathing feedback please!

pebblebeach New Member

Thank you again for the replies

Consensus is to not have her back and I'm going to follow your advice.  Is there a difference in the way my listing will be punished if I decline the booking request, vs. simply letting the 24 hour clock expire without responding to her?

I believe that you will be "dinged" by Vrbo if you decline the booking request or let the 24 hour clock expire.  If the 24 hour clock expires, Vrbo will automatically decline the booking request.  That's why I suggested responding to the request by editing the quote and raising the rent to 3 times your normal rental rate.  As I understand it, responding with an edited quote is not considered a decline and stops the 24 hour clock.  It puts the ball back in the traveler's court.

When you send the edited quote, you might consider stating in your reply that your goal is for all of your guests to have a very enjoyable experience at your rental.  Say that as you have not "updated" the master bedroom and bath and have not replaced the mattress that prevented her from enjoying her previous stay you do not believe that she will enjoy a second stay at your vacation rental.  

Heck, I'd just reply with the (suggested) 3X the $ amount of the original quote.  No explanation.

But within the time allotted.  And by activating the 'edit quote' tab.  (But NOT by using anything to suggest 'pre-approval' -- or -- 'accept.')

Should you care to reply to the 3-star review that is now permanently affixed to your public-facing listing?  That's where I'd post your … statement?  Only if you choose to.

feibus Senior Contributor

ALWAYS accept.  Then contact the guest to try to explain your concerns and get them to cancel if they feel you won't meet their expectations for a 5-star review (or agree to write no review at all).

I had the demonic guest a few years ago who did this, complained about 20+ items and wanted money back (which I did not give her and told her that her threat about a bad review because I wouldn't give her money back was enough to get the review removed).. but she also wanted to return the following year.  I talked her out of it by telling her I didn't feel like we could meet your needs.  But this was before she tried to book, so I headed it off at the pass.

treeguy Contributor

I believe feibus has hit the nail on the head.  Don't be  afraid to call her and explain your position. 

If pebblebeach accepts this booking request, I sincerely doubt that he/she will be able to convince this guest to cancel her booking.  Why should the guest cancel?  She has nothing to lose.  In fact, if pebble beach accepts the booking request and then calls this guest to try to convince her to cancel, the guest is sitting in the catbird seat.  I suspect that not only will she refuse to cancel her reservation, she will start making all sorts of demands with the implied threat that if they are not met she will leave another unfavorable review.

This former guest gave a damaging review because: 1) the master bedroom and bath had not been "updated" (even though the listing contained photos of both rooms); and 2) the mattress prevented her from enjoying her stay.  She has already demonstrated that she is not a reasonable individual.  Her first review was also not truthful because (unless she is a masochist) no reasonable person would want to stay a second time at a vacation rental that caused her such physical pain or discomfort that it spoiled her vacation.

scowol Active Contributor

I disagree with the advice to ALWAYS accept.  Immediately accepting is akin to skipping the lower courts and going to the supreme court. So logically, while you have time remaining (i.e., lower courts) tell the guest to withdraw, and see if they do. Mostly likely they will withdraw after the owner makes it crystal clear that they are not going to ultimately permit them to stay at the house.

Pebblebeach advised they have 24 hours, which means they are NOT on IB.  Most owners who are on IB are not aware of the Withdraw Option.  Tell the guest that you cannot accept the reservation request and that they need to WITHDRAW THE REQUEST.  Send this link (or copy and paste the steps).

https://help.homeaway.com/articles/How-do-I-withdraw-my-pending-booking-request

How do I withdraw my pending booking request?

If you submitted a request to book with a property that indicates 24 Hour Confirmation, the property owner or manager has 24 hours to either accept or decline your request. You may withdraw your pending booking request at any time before it is either accepted or declined. 

To withdraw your pending booking request:

1. Go to My Trips in your traveler account.
                                      2. Select the booking request you want to withdraw.
                                      3. Click Manage your booking.
                                      4. Click Withdraw booking request.
                                      5. Choose the appropriate reason code for withdrawing the request.
                                      6. Click Submit.

Once you have submitted your request, we'll send you an email confirming that your request has been successfully withdrawn. You can also confirm that the booking was withdrawn under My Trips in your traveler account. If it has been 24 hours since you submitted your booking request, or if it was already accepted or declined, the request can only be canceled not withdrawn. Cancellations are subject to the property’s cancellation policy.

Of course, if the guest refuses to withdraw, then accept the booking request before the 24-hour clock runs out.  However, do tell the guest you have no intention to hand over the keys/access codes, and that they need to Cancel their reservation.

If they don't cancel, then sure, process an owner cancel.  But only as a last resort.

green_mango Active Contributor

I would not rent again to a guest who left me three stars - in your case, I would suggest kindly thanking her for inquiring, but you have not yet remodeled the master suite & the mattress is the same & you wish her well on her search for just the right fit.

jdgreggor Active Contributor

Edit the quote for 3x the amount and let her decide not to stay. They already proved that they are not the kind of guests you should allow since she hurt your business already. Same mattress , right?

johnz Contributor

I had 2 nit picky guests, that didn’t leave a review, that I rented to a second time. Prior to their second rentals, I discussed the ‘issues’ from their previous rentals. During their second stay, they were still very nit picky and breaking my rules, ie leaving the balcony doors open for hours at a time with the AC running. Both reached out to rent to me a 3rd time, to which I refused. I determined you can’t change people’s behavior. Now I won’t re-rent to nit picky renters again or those that leave less than a 5 star review. The one always complained that the rims of toilets weren’t being cleaned properly, but I had to wash all of the quilts and shampoo the couches because they always left stains on them. The place looked disgusting after they left! They were by far the dirtiest renters I have had!