12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2019 3:25 PM by bigdaddy RSS

Family room AC stopped working, compensation?

familyfirst Contributor

Hello,

Renters checked in on Saturday, late afternoon. I just heard that the Great room AC was not working from Saturday pm through Tuesday AM. Repairman came on Monday and had to get a part on another island and fixed the AC on Tuesday AM. I didn't hear about it, just through a text saying how great our manager was with his response during the issue from them. All bedrooms were working fine, in fact, one of the bedrooms is connecting to the Great Room and they used the bedroom AC to help cool down the Great room but they said it did not help much. She texted they had 4 days out of 7 without it. But, she even said it was fixed on Tuesday AM so it wasn't a full day and it's cooler in the mornings.

The 4 out of 7 days bothered me of course because I want her experience to be great. It was rainy and hot and they were inside more together.

In all my rental agreement it says no refunds due to mechanical things, etc. Any thoughts about compensation at the end of their trip? They are VRBO guests and I am always concerned about a negative review.

Thank you.

• Re: Family room AC stopped working, compensation?
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

Send them a gift card for a nice restaurant in the area and/or possibly a small discount on their next visit.  Since it was rainy, they were inside a lot so the A/C did have an impact on their stay.

feibus Senior Contributor

I had the A/C go out on the whole house for one night a couple of weeks ago and refunded the whole night because I consider florida in the summer "uninhabitable" without A/C.  And they did have a pretty miserable night.

But this was one main room out of the whole house and you could open the bedrooms and the main room probably would get partially A/Ced (is that a good assumption?), so I'd do no more than a partial refund for the nights in question, since they weren't uncomfortable sleeping, which is one of the big things I try to ensure with my guests.

scowol Active Contributor

The guest stated that the adjacent bedroom AC "didn't help much" in cooling the main areas.  It sounds like your guest is probably polite and is not making a stink about it. But, the guest also specifically told you it didn't help.  You should zero in on that comment as your clue to how your guest felt.

You know your place better than anyone on this forum. If your main room had no A/C would it be bearable or leave bad memories?  (Try to think back what it's like upon your own arrival before you turn on the A/C on a hot day...)  It was raining (already a bummer for a vacation) and then the A/C is not working (double bummer).  Is your rental predominately a property for sleeping (i.e., room rental) or a whole house day and night experience? 

I've had my share of equipment breakdowns and malfunctions. I always try to put myself in the shoes of my guests who are on vacation (perhaps their only vacation for the entire year).  I never go cheap when there is an incident that impacts the enjoyment of my guests.   Before they even get a chance to simmer in anger, I immediately and proactively offer a partial refund, discount off future stay, or special treat at a local restaurant.  I've always received glowing reviews from these guests because I demonstrated care, concern and empathy.

wildiris Active Contributor

I don't know how much you charge for your rental, but you want to make sure these guests understand that you are really sorry about the air conditioning not functioning.  Instead of a gift certificate to a restaurant, I'd tell them that you are going to refund $100 or $200 of their rent when you refund their damage deposit.

bigdaddy New Member

Definitely some sort of compensation would go a long way. We usually give a $50 gift card to our local breakfast cafe if something minor isn't right. For something major, I've gone so far as to refund the entire rental and offer a free weekend at a later date. Fortunately, I've only had to do this once, but it's the right thing to do. In your case, I'd say a $200 refund or gift card would be fair.

familyfirst Contributor

thank you. I sent them a nice breakfast to the house ($100 cost) and also are refunding them $200. After I texted the guest, she sent me photos of their vacation and was bragging how great the house was and their vacation. Last night she wrote a review....I'm praying it is a good one. I scored her 5 stars because she was a good guest.

bigdaddy New Member

Great... small price to pay to keep your renter happy and reviews positive. If they mention anything in the review, you can now simply apologize again and comment how you you compensated them rather well for the inconvenience. This was something beyond your control which most renters would understand, but your actions and response went above and beyond.