6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2019 11:29 AM by bobbie32 RSS

Can you designate 2-night minimum as well as 3-night minimum timeframes?

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

Need to ask since it has been a while using the site.  One used to be able to have a 2-night minimum for most timeframes and a 3-night minimum for holiday timeframes.  Is this no longer possible via the rates settings?  My listing is PPB.

• Re: Can you designate 2-night minimum as well as 3-night minimum timeframes?
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

Yes, you can set your minimum nights in your rates calendar. Click on the begin date then the end date, on the right of your screen your will see where you can enter rate, minimum stay, etc.

Thanks, but from what I can find you can only enter one minimum stay.  I cannot find where you can enter a second minimum stay. 

Got it!  I had not gotten that far and now I have found it ...thanks.

It's going to tricky and require constant monitoring given our situation.  I was in the same boat last year and dealing with inquiries and possible bookings just about ruined my vacation. Since we have not been able to sell our ranch, we are still trying to book 14 night per year since we can do so income tax free, as we continue to lower the amount of taxes we will pay on the depreciated amount that has been written off for almost 25 years.  Last year during a trip away from our main computers, VRBO decided to feature our rental and we got over 7,000 views in 48 hours, which because of our situation were NOT wanted.  I sat for many many hours trying to juggle dates and deal with the inquiries.  14 nights a year translates into two 3-night stays and two 4-night stays.  FYI, average stay in our area is 3 or 4 nights. And so I had to monitor what people wanted.  As soon as the 3-night stays were booked, I had to change all available dates to 4-night stays. 

Sure will be glad when we sell the ranch.  We will try again next year. Keeping fingers crossed...

Edited...

calicalling Active Contributor

I use ownerrez and can port my rates over directly, including min night stays. Its a real time saver since I use widely varying min stays (1-4 nights) and can port these and corresponding rates to all my OTAs with a click.

Bonus, I can also set it up to offer a shorter min stay to fill gaps or to lower the rate and nightly min on last-minute gaps.

I know some owners are reluctant to pay for OR or other management software but it has already paid for itself through 'found money' income like these gap sales and add-on nights of open dates around existing bookings.

Since we are only booking 14 nights a year right now before we sell, expenses cannot be written off.  We do use availabilitycalendar.com for our own website and it is cheap.  But since we are dealing with so few nights, it is easy to go to each listing site and do it by hand...without importing or exporting data.  Plus each site has a different type of user - ABB younger and more demanding, VRBO not so much, and booking via the destination site for our area is the best and is usually used by returning guests.  So availability is not necessarily the same for all potential guests. We prefer returning guests, next older couples without young children, but will take younger guests if they fully understand what they are booking.  We must be able to meet expectations since we live on the property.  Hopefully we will sell the ranch sooner than later, but nothing has materialized yet...