10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2019 10:31 PM by georgygirl1955 RSS

Market Rank - What is the correlation?

walthrj New Member

As of today I have the following metric rankings: Acceptance Rate Ranking  1, Cancellation Rate Ranking 1, Review Count  Ranking 22,  Review Average Ranking 109.  In addition my metric rank for Bookings is 22, metric rank for Property Views 72, and metric rank for search results is 37.  How does this result in a market rank of 243 of 303 properties?  Just asking.  Cannot get an answer from Vrbo.  Also in market maker my search position is 1-5 for most open dates.

• Re: Market Rank - What is the correlation?
          db.meyer Senior Contributor

I have similar #1 rankings yet near the bottom in market ranking.  The only factor not mentioned but that I have determined to be the "key" factor, is that all of the listings above mine are "instant book" (and most also are large PM properties - Vacasa, Evolve, etc.) and I am not.  Are you "instant book"?

walthrj New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not "instant book".  It's unfortunate if not having "instant book" carries so much negative impact on the market rank.  I noticed the large drop in market ranking about 90 days ago. Over a one or two day period my ranking dropped from about 60 to the mid 200's hitting a low of 257 of 303 properties.  While my other individual rankings have continued to improve the market rank has only rose slightly.

I will follow-up on the "instant book" use by other properties in the area.

u0999 Premier Contributor

phew, my are even more weird. It is their secret sauce that does not make sense in plain math. My suggestion just ignore it, it is what it is, and just focus on other marketing efforts.

walthrj New Member

Thanks for your reply.  I think the term "secret sauce" is too kind.  There should be more transparency used in explaining the overall market ranking.  If not using "instant book" is a significant impact on market rankings, it should be disclosed to the owners.  How does an owner know what he needs to do better if the criteria used to evaluate the ranking is not disclosed to the owner?

timthek Active Contributor

They only show you FOUR ratings...but those four aren't the only factors that contribute....they are just the only ones they show you. I think a major factor is availability. I have one listing that is fully booked through August. So my availability is ZERO. My ranking has fallen steadily through the year because as we got into prime season there were no openings. VRBO doesn't want to show your property when it is unavailable....they want to show open properties. So booked properties will drop down the rankings. As we approach September and I have availability, I think that my ranking will climb.....but I don't really care.

moosebigd Active Contributor

I have experienced similar situations as you...  I get a booking and my rank drops, which goes with what timthek theorizes.  I do like to watch the numbers of my metrics only because I keep an eye on all aspects of the website that directly affect me.  But I do not put much value in those numbers even though it does bring a smile when I'm in the top 10%!  What should be of more concern is your search position.  As long as I am on the first page of my area search, I'm happy.  If I'm in the top 10, I'm ecstatic.

walthrj New Member

Thanks for your response.  I wish there was more transparency in the market ranking.   It's difficult to hit a target you can't see. 

moosebigd Active Contributor

But how much accountability do these numbers have when the algorithms used to calculate them are flawed?  For example, the one metric is for the number of reviews received.  You might have 12 one week rentals over the summer and get 12 reviews.  However, I might have 3 one month rentals and get 3 reviews.  I have fewer reviews and therefore get a lower rank even though we both have rented an equal amount of time.  And this directly affects Premier Partner status, which is good for allowing me to see guest information before accepting a booking, if for nothing else.  That is why I keep tabs on the numbers but have greater interest in search placement.