7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2019 10:16 PM by db.meyer RSS

private reviews

barefoot711 Contributor

I used to be able to request a review from travelers, has that been done away with?

It seems that only VRBO guest can leave a review

Am I correct?

If not how do I do it?

• Re: private reviews
          ha-moderator-meriah HomeAway Employee

barefoot711 Hello, we have been updating and making changes to our site. Here is a link on our two-way review system and how it works. How does the HomeAway review system work? | HomeAway Help

linky17 Active Contributor

Unsure what you mean by "private" reviews versus, for instance, a review that is posted by a *registered traveler/Guest via the Vrbo/HA platform?  (*Understandable.)  Maybe: a 'Guest Book' entry?

Here are two recent threads on this same subject.  Spoiler!  Neither is conclusive:

Expedia booked guests cannot review and don't count toward Ranking Metrics

Leave reviews. Get reviews.

But Owner feedback is enlightening + plentiful.  Each thread is still active.

Edited: syntax.

1500main Contributor

"private" reviews as in: from bookings that were done DIRECT (not through VRBO/HA) or perhaps from another platform.

greggt answered this correctly as I have also noticed that my ability to request a review from OUTSIDE this platform is now gone.

I had the "olde" dashboard and the "Request a Review" button was there until a few weeks ago but it had disappeared for a lot of people earlier than that.

You can no longer "Request a Review" from a Guest that did NOT book through the VRBO/HA platform.

As an aside, I should point out that eBay used to allow ANYONE to leave ANYONE else a review and this got abused, sometimes with very funny results, other times it just resulted in a Seller who had LOTS of friends (or fake accounts) inflate their online reviews to appear amazing despite most of the "real" reviews being negative.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Do you have a Google My Business account set up on Google Maps for your VR?  If so, that is a great place to have your non-Vrbo, direct guests leave reviews.  The more reviews, the higher you will show up both in Google Search and on the Map.  You can include a link to your website, and if you don't yet have a website, you can set up a simple site on Google My Business for direct bookings.  Google loves reviews!