13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2019 9:07 AM by amanda_ha RSS

The Campfire Starter Kit

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

If your vacation rental has an area to start a campfire, make the experience possible for your guests by following some of these tips to creating memories by a cozy fire.

Be sure to check your local regulations around providing food to guests at your vacation rental.

• Re: The Campfire Starter Kit
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Food products not in their original wrappers?  NO.  An AXE?  H to the NO.

ambidextrous Active Contributor

An axe and bourbon. What could go wrong?

Amanda: What happens when the kids find the s'more kit first and slip that bottle of bourbon out before Mom and Dad even know it was there? Sometimes I wonder if anyone who makes these videos and advice owns a VR or speaks to a VR owner.

moosebigd Active Contributor

And don't forget the cell phone to call an ambulance and the fire department!  Although I must admit, the fire starter amenities will certainly make property owners stand apart from the hotels.  I wonder why hotels haven't come up with this novel idea...

bonesxxx Active Contributor

OK that kit would cost at least $50.

I suppose I could up my rental rate to cover it.

But the wood? H to the N-O.  I have an indoor fireplace and I am happy to supply a full cord of split hardwood for the guests to use in the fireplace.

When I installed the fire pit, my wood started to disappear faster than I could keep up with... so now i inform renters that the wood provided is for the fireplace only and they can gather all the junk wood they want from the ample supply of downed pine limbs on my property.

Just a bad idea all around... factoring in for the wood, I'd need to raise my rates by $50 a night.

sanlord Active Contributor

Who thinks up this stuff?

koko Contributor

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I do not believe it can become more uninformed and ignorant.

PS I do like the fact that every little tidbit had a nice bow - someone get these at wholesale?

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Amanda, in response to mine and others' replies above, although we may seem harsh in our responses to this and other similar HA moderators' posts of this nature, unless you and the other moderators are also VR owners, it is really impossible for you to understand the VR business from the owner perspective based on years of renting and guest experience.  Please keep that in mind when you post suggestions about amenities/baskets of any kind, especially related to combustibles that can and do start wildfires, and others that increase owners' liabilities - ex: alcohol, food, etc etc.  Owners are the experts when it comes to our guests, what we offer them or not, often based on laws and regulations that you are likely unaware of as a non-owner.  Instead, please ask us questions about how you/HA can better serve owners and leave the guest relations to us.  Thank you.

tracycarr New Member

I enjoyed this video. There are some very good ideas in it that many renters would enjoy. Campfires are not appropriate in every location, but in many places they are totally okay. We always let guests know if a fire ban is in place because of dry conditions. Little touches like this are appreciated by guests and are what make guests feel cared for and valued. You don't have to duplicate every suggestion in the video, if you don't agree. In fact, you can ignore it completely. They are just suggestions for heaven's sake. I hope  the negative (and quite unkind actually) comments above do not discourage our moderates from posting these kind of ideas. You don't have to agree, you don't have to like it, you don't have to do it, but what is the harm in sharing some creative and fun ideas that guests might appreciate? Moderators, please keep the fun and creative ideas coming on how to make our guests' stays a fun and memorable experiences.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Ideas are fine; where I get concerned is when the ideas include things that would cause issues for property owners.  If I provide any type of food item, it must be in the original wrapping.  Too many food items, i.e., a breakfast basket which includes the makings for a complete pancake breakfast with tea and coffee, and I can run afoul of the local bed and breakfast laws.  What is the homeowner liability if an axe is provided but not safeguarded, i.e., in an open basket? 

So many of these video ideas also require our presence; I cannot ask my housekeeper to shop for welcome items or put them out.  I am miles and miles away from my VR.  If I were right there in town and running a real estate business, I can see doing some of these extras.  But I am not onsite, and it would be difficult to provide this concierge service to every guest.  We are not a hotel, and we are not resident ABB hosts.

ambidextrous Active Contributor

tracycarr wrote:

I enjoyed this video.... You don't have to agree, you don't have to like it, you don't have to do it, but what is the harm in sharing some creative and fun ideas that guests might appreciate?

Tracy, let recap. The suggestions are for a fire, alcohol, an axe (please tell me how many people know how to safely swing an axe and split their own firewood) and unlabled repackaged food. Yes, we can just ignore it all, but Expedia should assume some level of responsibility for giving safe ideas that enhance a guest's experience. Keep in mind that there are new owners on this forum who may not look at this video with the same experienced eye as others who always are concerned with a safe and law-suit free guest experience. Whether they like it or not (or have earned it or not), Expedia wears a mantle of authority, and I find it irresponsible to suggest gifts that for many reasons could harm a guest.

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

Thank you all for your feedback. It's great to have safety on your mind for your guests and vacation rental. The video is a suggestion and very customizable. If your vacation rental is equipped for a campfire and if your guest group would appreciate the extra touch you can always remove the items that you feel uncomfortable providing.

Thank you,

Amanda

HomeAway Marketing Manager