13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2019 2:10 PM by hmmmm RSS

What's been your most rewarding experience as a host?

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

QA_experience.png

• Re: What's been your most rewarding experience as a host?
          hmmmm Senior Contributor
          • 30 years of watching families connect with each other and parents stopping their busy lives to engage with their children.
          • Repeats
          • Happy, content vacationers who have the home, location, and service they hoped for
          • Exceeding the expectations
            margaret CommunityAmbassador

My properties are in a coastal South Carolina beach community. When there are severe hurricane warnings I receive so many emails and text from past guests saying they are thinking of us, keeping us in their prayers and hoping we come through it with no damages. These messages really touch my heart at times that are always so stressful. This reminds me that that the most rewarding part of this business is the personal connections we make with those who create their memories while staying in our homes.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I am not sure that I am a "host" in the true sense of the word as I do not meet the people who stay in my home. However, I do enjoy hearing that they loved the house or cabin, and that they had a wonderful time. The best experience is when you have a guest that returns year after year.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

LOL, I don't like when people call my homes Airbnbs and refer to me as a host. I have vacation rentals and I am the owner.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

Yea, I'm with Margaret.  I'm an owner, not a host. 

But, I like the input we get in our guest book, I like how I've had guests who have helped us return things like stuffed animals to previous guests, I like how people treat our place, but I think my best moment happened last night when my most recent booking told me that in all the years of booking with VRBO and Air Bnb we are the first owners who actually called them.  She mentioned several times that she's never gotten such a quick response and appreciates all the information I've sent her, etc.  So my favorite memory is probably, being appreciated for taking the time to care.  That goes a long way.

bonesxxx Contributor

I agree with hmmmmm that the most rewarding experiences are the guestbook entries wherein people tell all the things they loved about their stay; reconnecting with loved ones, reading, quiet time on the front porch, the hummingbirds, the turtles, the owls, dinner on the deck, fires around the fire pit, the stars, the fireflies, my excellent taste in decorating, my epic stove, my guidebook (which is so hilarious that most of the time it gets taken as a souvenir), my sense of humor, giving their dog their first off-leash experience, watching lambs being born, etc...

But what I REALLY like are the gifts!  I've had guests leave me wrapped presents including a concrete owl and a beautiful knit cotton throw -- and hand towels (although I think that was more a hint than a gift ;-) )

My cabin has an owl theme (hence the owl gift above) which comes from my experience with shamanic medicine and the owl being my spirit animal... guests know this because it is central to how I came to name my property (H'Owl at the Moon Farm).  In any event, one guest must have been a graphic artist because she photographed a 200 year old Holly tree on my property and used her graphics program to embed owl faces all over the trunk.  It's so cool.  One of my most prized possessions in fact - so sweet, personal, and thoughtful.

sanlord Active Contributor

Getting to know our guests.  Some have been staying with us for more than 10 years and are now friends.  We've hosted honeymoons, anniversaries, surprise birthday celebrations, college graduations, annual friend's trips, and much more. 

During the fires in Gatlinburg we had so many past guests contact us asking about our cabin.  (Just a little background, for 3 days it was reported on national news that our log home community had completely burned. luckily it had not.)  We had people who had never stayed at our cabin but had at our beach properties call, text and email us expressing their concerns.  It was truly amazing.  The great guests have so outnumbered the ones we would never want to have back. 

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

This may cause a firestorm as many don’t agree with my stance on this.  But the absolute most rewarding thing about sharing my home is when so many guests tell me how blessed they are and how God led them to the perfect home. My vr displays much of my faith which I share in every room of the home!!  Their comments then bless me in a way that other comments just don’t  

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

I've had many rewarding experiences in the 25 years of renting my vacation home.

Among the most memorable began with a "telephone call" (I don't know the actual device used) from Iraq, at the height of US troop presence, from a young man who would be returning to the States shortly for a break from duty (I'm not familiar with the military terms . . . ) for several weeks and he wanted to surprise his wife and children with a vacation in my locale, which he had visited many times as a child with his family.

After the initial contact we exchanged several emails to finalize his family's stay.

I rent my home to many lovely families, but his efforts to arrange a vacation for his family stand out in my mind.

Secondary to this experience would be the handful of visits by families with an ill or elderly loved one who wanted to visit my locale to experience their traditional summer family visit just one more time . . . 

So many wonderful, and sometimes sad, stories - but very rewarding experiences just the same . . .

vrdoctor Senior Contributor

Paying off our cabin and taking our last guest in October last year.  I can honestly say that I don't miss the stress, damage and shenanigans of renting.