Hi everyone, I just want to tell my story which bothered me for a while. I'm an owner and I've been renting my vacation house on HA for almost 2 years and all the reviews I got either about my house or me are all positive, this situation never happened before.
Yesterday we had a guest and her family to check in. I was there to wait for them and gave them a tour of the house right after they arrived. From the front garden to the back garden, and then inside the house including kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms. The guest(the mother of this family) was satisfied during the whole tour and said the house was lovely, beautiful. So I left after the check in. Now the story began:
I got a message from her(the mother) after about 1 hour which said she was very unhappy about a lot of thing of the property and required me to rectify them when they are out. So I drove about 30 minutes back to the house, I didn't have to do this, but I respect the guests first and I really wanted to see what's going on. Here below are her complaints, and behind them are what I said when I introduced the house to them and what I explained after I arrived the house:
1. She said our garden was a mess because the grass at the corner of the garden is not at the same height with other grass. She didn't expect to see it.---We mowed the garden 2 days ago, and a few grass with some flowers at the corner look nice for the garden.
2. There's half bag of potatoes in the kitchen which she didn't expect to see that.---When I introduced the kitchen, I told her the potatoes are left from the last guests who just checked out yesterday, if she likes, it's free to use. If she doesn't like it, she can put it away or dump it. She said ok.
3. There's a basket under the shelf in the kitchen, she didn't expect to see it in the kitchen.---I explained that it was for the glass bottles, because the trash separation is very strict in Germany, glass bottles must be put in a specific place which is a bit far from the house, so I leave the empty basket for the guests to put the glass bottles. I'll take care of them after they check out.
4. She said the fridge and microwave smell.---The fridge and the microwave are empty and cleaned, I didn't know what she smelt.
5. She said she didn't expect to see the cleaning stuff like sponge and rubber gloves in the bathroom.---They are all kept in the bottom drawers of the sink, and we have another 3 drawers and 4 cabinets for guests to use.
6. She complained that there were a couple stains on the window which she didn't expect to see. She also didn't expect to see some personal belongs in the house which I've told her that we stayed in the house when no guests, so we will keep some of our stuff inside the house. About this, we also cross" personal belongs in the house" when we registered our house on HA. She even complained about the automatic temperature control wire at the heating.
I went there and asked her why didn't she say all of this when I showed her around the house, all the things she complained about were all at the obvious place that people can easily see. If she said that at that time, I could try to fix something right away. I tried to communicate with her, she just didn't listen and kept interrupting me when I was trying to explain or talk to her. Whenever I said something, she said I don't care, I didn't expect to see this, I want my money back. So I didn't see a way to solve this problem because she refused to communicate, she would call HA customer service to report us, and she wanted all her money back. I said you can have your full refund if you leave right now. She said it was too late and she was too tired, she would leave tomorrow after she could find another place to stay. Even so, she still wanted her full refund.
Till now, she didn't contact me.
Thanks in advance for everybody's time and patience if you read it all. I was upset and I really want her to leave my property. Is there a way to handle this thing? I appreciate all the suggestion.