20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2019 3:54 PM by hmmmm RSS

To remove the sheets, or not?

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

removesheets.png

What's your stance on asking guests to remove sheets before checkout?

We think this article from The Distinguished Guest makes some very interesting points.

Weigh in with your thoughts below.

• Re: To remove the sheets, or not?
          green_mango Active Contributor

I don't ask guests to do this - it's easier for them, my cleaner can see any stains that need treatment more easily, and when I've been a guest and stripped the sheets I was grossed out to see what's underneath - sometimes it's just better not to know....

treeguy Contributor

Before I charged a cleaning fee I did ask that the beds be stripped.  Once I implemented the charge I felt it was not necessary.  As mentioned earlier it is easier to see any problems if the sheets are still on the bed.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I don't ask guest to remove the sheets. Like green_mango, I prefer the housekeeper do it so that she can find any stains. I am also not a fan of giving guests a list of check out chores, it is not the best way to end a vacation. I ask that my guest remove their garbage to the outside bins and start the dishwasher but if they don't do these things I let it go. I would prefer not to ask anything but since my properties are in the south, if garbage or food covered dishes are left for even a short period of time, it can cause unpleasant odors and possibly attract bugs.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I Have the guests start a load of towels only. Sheets are left for my cleaning lady. It helps with the change over to start a load of towels.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

My HOPE would be that if the guest stains the sheets they immediately remove them and wash them, or atleast remove them and alert me that they are stained so I can alert my cleaners to properly treat them.  Leaving them on the bed can create more problems.  Ever have a kid have a bed wetting accident on a mattress that is covered with a waterproof cover, only to realize that the cover isn't 100% waterproof?  Get that sheet off the bed NOW, before the damage has a chance to soak permanently to the mattress. 

Otherwise I would say leave them on the bed.  If I had to start the dishwasher and clean out the fridge and take out the trash AND STRIP THE BEDS I'd be wondering why I was paying a 150$ cleaning fee!

I would certainly hope if there were an issue like bed wetting or blood on the sheets the guests would wash the bedding immediately! I keep a couple of extra mattress covers in the closets just in case. That said, I don't request that the guest remove sheets at check out.

hickmanhideaway Contributor

We do have a list of check-out items.

Included on that list are to turn off the water and water heater, have the dishes clean and strip the beds, that way we know what beds have been used. I do my own cleaning and always check all sheets and pillow cases for stains. And my mattress covers are washed every 3-4 guests, or sooner if stained. I have extra mattress covers for the beds.

I have never had a guest complain about having to do a few things before leaving. And I have had notes thanking us for how clean the cabin is, and that they tried to leave it looking good. Of course I don't ask that they vacuum or dust or any of the "household chores."

The $150 cleaning fee is minimal compared to the amount of time it takes to clean a 3 story, 2,500 sq foot, 4 bedroom, 3 bath cabin.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

My housekeeper removes the sheets, linens and towels for washing.  Guests are not asked to strip the beds.

Guests are asked to empty the refrigerator of their food, wash the kitchen pots and pans that they cooked with, and to bag their garbage. 

sanlord Active Contributor

As part of my departure instructions guests are asked to wash all towels used during their stay and are told to NOT strip beds. 

hmmmm Senior Contributor

I ask them not to strip the beds, this way, housekeeping and I can check for stubborn stains and spot treat them.  If there is a CSI event I will make a note of that as well.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

For me, its a great addition and has always been apart of the forum.  I like to know what other people are doing with their rentals.

Sometimes, with working these rentals for so long 30 years, I might be stuck in a rut and want to see other ideas

green_mango Active Contributor

In her defense, I don't think the responses are important to HA - rather, I think HA is simply trying to promote owners sharing with other owners & providing topics for the community forum to get the ball rolling for discussions.  It's a balance between the important owner issues and the more mundane everyday things that go along with managing a rental.  Sticking to the basics, if you will - I don't envision a thread asking how we all feel about the Service Fee  

I totally agree that there are many more important questions pending responses.

IMO green_mango  is correct that the goal here is to steer this group back to the "old days" type of discussions. Pre- Expedia this group shared information, ideas and tips about the VR business. There were threads with concerns, questions and complaints about site issues but it was not the main focus of this group. Of course, there were not as many problems at that time : Owners advertised their properties, collected payment in the manner they chose, contact info was provided at first contact, there was no service fee, owners collected and remitted tax, owners were not penalized for managing their business as they saw fit...and our calendars for the most part were full. As we all know those days are over on this site so the focus of this group over the past several years has evolved and changed along with the site.

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

It depends . . . for owners purposes some owners find it easier to identify damages such as stains and tears while the sheets are on the bed.  Other owners/house cleaners prefer solied sheets gathered in one place for the convenience of laundering.  I think whatever works for the owner/manager is the answer to what to do with soiled sheets . . .

I don't think there is much of a burden placed on guests in removing soiled sheets . . . but, I could be wrong . . . there may be guests who are deeply offended by such a request . . .

An email note requesting feedback from guests on aspects of their stay - including rules for departure - will quickly establish if there are any requests/routines with which the guests are unhappy. 

koko Contributor

So from what I gather in reading many posts owners charge hefty cleaning fees, HA  wants everyone to be like a hotel, get them out by 11.00AM in by 3.00PM the same day and that every day of the week.

Guests pay ahead of time and we market this as a private venue vs the commercial ones. I think all this is kind of schizophrenic. You can't have it both ways.

I would think that guests staying at my house would not be asked to remove their sheets, they don't pay a cleaning fee.

Guests in my rental are pampered, treated like paying guests and not required to do anything but check out. Some will have the sheets off and towels and everything in the laundry basket. They will have put their dishes away. Some will not. The ones who do way outnumber the ones who don't.

But I would never require a guest to do anything but adhere to the agreement which does not talk about their cleaning and laundering - that's my job and I charge a fee for that.

I know, I'm old fashioned.

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

db.meyer,

A discussion like this and the ones you referenced are to help the wide range of Community members connect with owners who can provide best practices, share ideas, and get feedback on their own approach to hosting. Ultimately, Community is a place for our partners to connect. We understand there are other threads that exist on the Community that require responses which is why our team of moderators actively work on finding answers to questions and concerns.  We are working on ways to make this as seamless as possible. We appreciate your feedback in the meantime.

Best,

Amanda

HomeAway Marketing Manager