15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2019 3:51 PM by ashevillelookout RSS

Why Do They Miss The Pet Fee?

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I am annoyed.  It seems that NO ONE can apply my pet fee during the reservation process, so I have to constantly send a revised quote.

What is wrong with the website that they cannot see the fees?

These are my settings:

fees.JPG

• Re: Why Do They Miss The Pet Fee?
          hmmmm Senior Contributor

They don't want to add it?

calicalling Active Contributor

I have been having this issue, too. Guests selected 'pets' but it didn't apply a fee. I would not have even known they were bringing guests except it is visible on my OwnerRez list of bookings.

Fortunately, the guests haven't been upset when I had to go back and charge them the pet fee and send my pet approval form.

I went back in and 're-set' my settings in hopes that there might have been some 'glitch' that was causing issues. Hasn't been long enough yet to see a difference. (no new pet bookings since)

ha-moderator-christi HomeAway Employee

hello a, I would love to get some listing/ reservation info so I can look into this deeper.I'd like to look at account setting and where the reservations came from. On the desktop site, the radius button for pets is pretty large. On the app, you do have to scroll down a bit to select pets.

ha-moderator-christi, thank you for your interest.  This has been an ongoing problem, and is not a new issue, at least for me.  Fortunately, most of my guests will state that they are bringing a pet and want to pay the pet fee.  They just don't ever seem to be able to click on whatever it is that will apply the pet fee at the time that they are submitting their BIN.  I don't know if they are on computers, tablets or phones when they book.  I don't really care.  I just dislike having to dun my guest for a pet fee that should have been calculated and displayed to them during the booking process. 

Again....a BIN reservation with a nice note from the guest about her two large dogs....but NO PET FEE SELECTED.  #209652, HA-DJNBM2.

What is the problem?  Why can't these guests include the pet fee when they BIN?

ha-moderator-amanda HomeAway Employee

Hi ashevillelookout, I checked on reservation ID HA-DJNBM2 and our system shows that this guest did not indicate they were bringing a pet when they initiated their property search on our site. If the traveler does not click the button for 'Pets', our system will not calculate the pet fee into the quote. It's similar to if you charge an additional guest fee for reservations that exceed a certain number of guests; if the primary traveler does not enter an accurate guest count during the search then our system will not know to calculate the additional guest fee. Unfortunately, there isn't an immediate solution for travelers that do not click the button to indicate a pet will be attending the reservation, but I'm glad this guest was upfront about their plans.

Once again I have received a BIN from a guest who did not click on Pets when booking, but indicated that they are bringing two pets. 

Having to edit the BIN quote to include the pet fee is annoying; what is it about the web site that these people do not click on the Pet Fee?  I have the fee listed in at least three places.....Booking HA-SZX572.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

If the guest only scrolls far enough to see number of Adults and Kids they won't see the place to check off for pets. The ask the owner button is even harder to find, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find that one. If travelers aren't aware these buttons are there, they probably won't keep scrolling to find them. It annoys me too. Both buttons should be easier to find.

ha-moderator-christi HomeAway Employee

Hi all,

Vrbo and HomeAway clearly displays a yes or no option for pets when starting a search. If a traveler search with the filter pet-friendly the system automatically selects yes for pets. We have provided feedback that some travelers are missing this so our teams may look at different options for selecting pets. Below are examples of the pop out on the main page when selecting the number of guests and what a traveler sees when they get to the Book Now portion of a listing page when the search is for pet-friendly. This is more visible than it has been in the past. There is no need to scroll on a computer the same option is not available on the mobile app. We have reported the feedback you all have shared.

VRBO Pets.png

Vrbo pets 2.png