16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2019 9:52 AM by moosebigd RSS

Who Added a Bedroom to our Condo?

moosebigd Active Contributor

Somehow we have gone from three bedrooms to four, and so have several other properties in our community.  Everything I have entered on our end shows three bedrooms.  Sure do hope we don't get an IB looking for four bedrooms because that is how HA has our property listed!  It would be prudent to check your listings for accuracy...

• Re: Who Added a Bedroom to our Condo?
          sanlord Active Contributor

So glad you posted this.  I just checked our cabin and discovered that it has also grown an additional bedroom!  So far the condos have not, but I'll keep checking.  Maybe they just haven't "hatched" yet! 

Have you checked with CS?

I just checked the other cabins in our log home community and there are at least 5 other 3 bedroom cabins that have magically "hatched" a 4th bedroom.  It looks like if you sleep 8 the magical VRBO site has decided you must have 4 bedrooms since all of the 3 bedroom cabins that sleep 8 are now "4 bedroom" cabins.  Of course if a traveler is only looking for 3 bedroom cabins none of us are showing up!  Good grief Charlie Brown!

Just spike with CS.  We have a game room that has a daybed and trundle and I was advised that it is now considered a bedroom.  I tried my best to explain that it is not a bedroom but just gave up and deleted the "bedroom" from my listing.  I guess if we still had a sofa bed in the living room it would be a 5 bedroom cabin!  It is 5:00 somewhere, right!

ha-moderator-amanda HomeAway Employee

Hi moosebigd, we've noticed this with listings that have an additional entry in the 'Edit Property' section of the dashboard under 'Rooms & Details'. For example, in the section for 'Rooms & Details' you have added the 'Living Area' because it has the sleeper sofa/futon, so this is being recognized as a fourth bedroom. We suggest removing this addition to accurately reflect the number of bedrooms in your condo; there is section where you can enter details about bedrooms and this is where we suggest mentioning the sleeper sofa/futon in the living room. You could also go under 'Amenities' to 'Popular Amenities' where you will find a box specifically for the living room, and this is another great place to mention the sleeper sofa/futon. Any entry under 'Rooms & Details' should be for actual bedrooms only.

Here we go again... There are two issues here that have really elevated my blood pressure!

First, another change has been made to the Dashboard where owners manage their listings and they have not told us about the change.  And in this case, the arbitrary change has impacted our listing such that our property is listed with false information.  If HA wants to make changes, we need to be informed so that we can make the necessary corrections to our listings without stumbling upon them by chance.  The "Rooms & Details" section has evidently undergone recent changes and looks different than it did in the past.  When I originally filled out the information, I did accurately list the number of bedrooms.  Because of the change, HA is now recognizing a fourth bedroom.  HA transposed information from a previous format and is now providing travelers with incorrect information!  

Secondly, we have 3 bedrooms with beds and a Living Area with a sleeper sofa/futon.  You are telling me to put information about the sleeper sofa/futon that is in the living room in the box that says "Details about BEDROOMS..."???  C'mon!  How ridiculous does this advice sound?!  And also suggesting to put it under "Amenities" is just as ridiculous!  The sleeper sofa is in the living room and is a necessary comfort for our guests should they wish to accommodate 8 people.  They should not have to search all over our listing to see where everyone will be sleeping.

Did/will these changes improve the traveler's experience or make it more confusing???

Why weren't we informed about this change???

Does HA intend to inform owners that their properties will now be listed with an additional bedroom if they have a sleeper sofa independently listed in the living room?  Not all homeowners participate in this forum.  12 properties in our community of 237 have 3 bedrooms but are identified as having 4 bedrooms.  There is a 3 bedroom unit listed as 5 bedrooms!  And there are multiple 2 bedroom units listed as 3.  @I can only imagine what the numbers are in the broad scheme of things!

How confusing this will be for travelers who select a filter for 4 bedrooms and end up with 3 bedroom properties!

And how unfortunate for the homeowner whose property does not show up in a search for a 3 bedroom rental!

This makes absolutely no sense.  Yesterday I had a 3 bedroom cabin and today, according to VRBO, I have a 4 bedroom.  I had to delete my game room so I could go back to 3 bedrooms.  I have called my friends, who also suddenly have 4 bedrooms, to warn them.  This is something that VRBO should NOT have done.  It makes us look like WE are lying to potential guests.  I'm just glad that moosebidg posted this.  This needs to be fixed by VRBO NOW! 

linky17 Active Contributor

Hi, Amanda ~  While I do appreciate that you've replied, I will take issue with the fact that you've marked your answer as "correct."  Far from it.

In response to moosebigd's legitimate alarm at an unannounced + significant architectural change to his/her property, your "we've noticed this with listings that have an additional entry in the 'Edit Property' section of the dashboard under 'Rooms and Details'," is almost to suggest that some random entity swept in and co-opted our Owner-determined inventory of honest spaces and (often) legal parameters.  This was a deliberate move on the part of the Vrbo/HA [insert name] Team.

The manipulative mischaracterization of true accommodations is false advertising, pure and simple.  And will only elicit traveler dissatisfaction and -- just as brand-damaging -- bad blood where municipalities are clamping down on STR platforms, especially those that spawn + abet code violations.

Fix This.

wildiris Active Contributor

ha-moderator-amanda, I realize this wasn't your decision and that you are the messenger.  Hopefully, you'll be the messenger back to the IT department or whoever made the decision to show a sleeper sofa as a bedroom in a listing.  It's false advertising.  In the real estate world, building codes, etc., a bedroom must have a closet and an egress window.  From a traveler's perspective, I would be absolutely livid to discover that the "four bedroom" house that I rented was really a three bedroom house with a sleeper sofa in the living room.  Vrbo really needs to fix this ASAP.

Amanda...  Since I have not heard from you or any other moderator, I have put the futon back in the living room on my listing.  Will someone PLEASE tell us what is going on with this website!!! 

I just checked the listings in our community and with the exception of one property, it appears that everyone is listed with their actual number of bedrooms.  Has Vrbo/HA restored the changes they made to the original format?  May we restore our listings to our original settings, as well, which put the futon in the living room?  Will a moderator please respond to these questions!