9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2019 8:51 AM by feibus RSS

How did I win & lose the same booking?

sandpebblememories New Member

I searched the community for this and while I found a general consensus that the won/lost booking cards are pretty wonky, I didn't find anything with this same situation.

7 days ago, I got a card that I won a booking.

BookingWon.jpg

Then today, I got a card that I lost a booking from "someone who contacted me." I am very new to VRBO and I have only had booking requests so far, not inquiries. So as of now, no one has contacted me that didn't book my property.

BookingLost.jpg

As you can see from the cards, it's for the same dates and number of people. The property that I lost to in the 2nd card is the same property that I won against in the first card. What the heck does this mean? Did this person actually BOOK with both of us? Based on this it looks like she booked the second property and is planning to cancel the booking with me, but I don't know that for sure and she hasn't cancelled yet. Is it possible that the 2nd card is a mistake? Has anyone else had this happen and, if so, what turned out to be the situation?

Thank you!

• Re: How did I win & lose the same booking?
          wildiris Active Contributor

I haven't had this happen to me.  It certainly seems like the same rental party.  What is your cancellation policy?  It's quite possible this guest has booked other properties besides yours and hasn't bothered to cancel his reservation with you.  I don't know if Customer Service will give you the information, but I'd call them up, explain the situation to them and ask them to tell you if this guest has also booked your competitor's property for the same dates as her reservation with you. 

ohst8er Premier Contributor

I wouldn't put any stock in any of this.  I know with about 99% certainty that I've gotten the same "you lost a booking to a competitor," but the person booked with me instead.  And I know I'm not the first to acknowledge this.  Unless and until someone cancels with you, I'd just chalk it up to wonky algorithms and be done with it.  The dashboard long ago became a "thing" that I have to click past to get to what I really want.  I almost never look at it, and this is one of the many reasons why.   Have you gotten the one that says, "check out the top properties in your area," or something like that, and see what you can do to improve, and YOU are one of the properties you are supposed to rise to the level of?  Ain't nobody got time for this nonsense. 

green_mango Active Contributor

There's always the possibility it's a glitch, but since you have a moderate cancellation policy it means that until 30 days prior VRBO advertises your home as "FREE CANCELLATION" - I'd do some sleuthing and check out the cancellation policy for the other home also just out of curiosity.  Hopefully it's a glitch, but with the "FREE CANCELLATION" being advertised on listings owners are seeing more cancellations these days.  I've switched to No Refunds so that guests can't block dates on my home without any skin in the game.

sandpebblememories New Member

Do you feel like changing your cancellation policy lessened your bookings? My VR is in a gated community, so I consider basically all the other rentals there as my main competition. Unfortunately they all seem to have the same moderate cancellation policy that I am using. I worried that other properties would be more appealing if theirs shows up as "free cancellation" and mine does not.

green_mango Active Contributor

I've kind of always had "no refunds' by default - I just don't require full payment up front.  I used to require flat $500 non-refundable to reserve dates and I recently upped that to 50%.  So far, so good.  I was also hesitant to select "No Refunds" but I heard from a good number of other owners that it had not had an impact on their bookings so I gave it a shot.  Even with the $500 non-refundable payment I've only had 2 cancellations in 5 years.  One I was able to rebook and reimbursed the guests.  The other I offered a different weekend and they switched. 

wildiris Active Contributor

I also have a "no refunds" policy on my listing because HomeAway doesn't offer the choice of the refund policy that I actually use.  I have a note on my  listing for travelers to look at my rental agreement because I do offer refunds under some circumstances.  The refund policy in my rental agreement is that if the guest cancels more than 60 days before the rental I will give a full refund if I am able to re-book his dates.  If I can't rebook the dates, the guest loses his deposit (which is 50% of the rent and sales tax). 

My "no refunds" policy does not seem to hurt my bookings.  Over the years I've had about three people decide not to book after reading the rental agreement.  In each case they cited being responsible for elderly parents with health problems.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

"No Refunds" here as well, except if I can rebook, which I explain to anyone who asks as well as telling them about trip cancellation insurance, which has paid off well for me the past few years of trips with kids who get sick at the last minute.

I have two properties, an unstructured calendar (e.g., not Saturday-to-Saturday only), and booked to 75%+ for the past several years, which is considered very good for my year-round resort (September is always slow).  So far this year, we're already booked to 57% and will likely get over 75% again.

A "No Refunds" policy doesn't hurt the cruise industry either.  They sell you trip insurance to cover that possibility.