18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2019 2:37 PM by ohst8er RSS

No tech support on weekends?!

green_mango Active Contributor

Got a booking today - yay!  I've been trained to keep those metrics good by clicking 'accept' pretty quickly, so that's what I did.

A few hours later I noticed that the rate doesn't match my posted rates and the quote doesn't breakdown how VRBO arrived at the calculated amount for the 7 night stay.  The 1st two nights are holiday rates at $400/night, and the remaining 5 nights fall into the weekly discounted rate.  The quote is off by $125.  CS couldn't explain it during our 55 minute phone call, but agreed there was an error and said I should simply ask the guest for more money.  As an owner, this solution doesn't seem like good business practice.  I would like to see VRBO take responsibility by either explaining the calculation so that I can have it match on my end in case I'm doing something wrong  (I include rates in contract), or they should own their mistake and deduct it from the service fee.  CS did not agree with that suggestion & escalated to tech support - which isn't open until Monday (which I find egregious for a site that touts 24/7 support with a hefty service fee).  CS also would not call the guest to let them know there was a discrepancy - CS said they only talk to owners.  Doesn't pass the sniff test for me... 

So, I'm supposed to accept or decline all booking requests in 24 hours, yet VRBO can't correct a rate glitch in the same amount of time? 

I reached out to the guest to let them know of the discrepancy and I offered to honor the miscalculated rate on VRBO, as I had in fact already 'accepted' the booking, but I couldn't hold the dates until Monday or whenever I hear back from tech support next week.  The guest said they are eager to book and do not want to wait until Monday to get this resolved, so they are going to cancel the booking.  And then I'm fairly confident they are going to book my home on a different site that doesn't have the same rate glitch. 

So I guess my main question is - is it true that there is no tech support on weekends?!

Also, how are weekly discounts applied when combined with a higher holiday rate?

• Re: No tech support on weekends?!
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

No, no tech support on weekends.  Just our lovely CS people!  Honestly, I'd hate to be a CS person with VRBO, they are given NO tools to work with other than reading off their computer screen.

I have no answer to your second question.  The best advice I can give you is to go into your rates calendar and test your rates out in patterns that cross across booking windows like this one did, to make sure the issue doesn't repeat itself.  Did CS open up a case for you?  They should have.  Sometimes you have to PUSH them to do so, or, call back and hope you get someone who will do so for you. 

I have a feeling something is wonky with the weekly discount, so based on advice from another owner, I might just remove weekly discounts all together and note in my listing that I offer a weekly discount.  Poor guest - she cancelled, but now she also has to call and cancel both PDP and trip insurance.  Looks like those don't automatically cancel when a booking is cancelled in advance.  VRBO sure doesn't make it easy.

ha-moderator-daniel I see you're on today - is there an easier way for the guest's CSA PDP and trip insurance to be cancelled without her having to call both companies, or can she just call VRBO?

ha-moderator-daniel HomeAway Employee

Hi green_mango,

If the PDP and cancellation insurance were not refunded automatically then the traveler will need to contact CSA. The PDP and cancellation insurance are both administrated by CSA and should only take one phone call to cancel them. CSA can be reached M-F 8 AM to 8 PM Monday through Friday and 8 AM to 5 PM on Saturday (all times are Central Time). They can be reached at 800-349-8218.

Daniel

HomeAway Community Moderator

Thank you for the contact info - I will pass that along to the traveler.  Are the PDP and cancellation insurance supposed to be automatically refunded?

Is it true that CS does not speak with guests?  I've heard other owners say that CS reached out to a guest on their behalf & Airbnb has reached out to a guest on my behalf before.  It doesn't make any sense that the woman I spoke with would tell me that they "only speak with owners" - she could have easily helped by letting the guest know that there was an error with the rate calculation.  

Do you know how the weekly rates are applied when 2 of the 7 days have a higher holiday rate set?

Thanks ha-moderator-daniel

Good morning ha-moderator-daniel - are you the moderator on today?  Sorry - it's hard to tell each day who we are supposed to tag now that Erinn is gone.  I'm just following up on my questions posted & re-posted below - thank you!

1.  Are the PDP and cancellation insurance supposed to be automatically refunded?

2.  Is it true that CS does not speak with guests - owners only?

3.  Do you know how the weekly rates are applied when 2 of the 7 days have a higher holiday rate set?

Hi green_mango,

To answer your questions:

1. The PDP is automatic or should be if it is required by the owner and not purchased as an add on (also known as ADP/Additional Damage Protection). Traveler Cancellation Protection (or TCP) and ADP are not typically automatic.

2. This is somewhat of a multi-tiered question as there are some agents in CS that are directed not to make outbound calls. We try to empower agents to handle the requests made by an owner but in some cases, those requests exceed the agent's ability or scope. The action I would recommend to you as an owner is if you feel that you are not getting the assistance you need you can request to escalate to our resolutions team.

3. Since weekly rates are on the old rates editor this info is applicable to a very limited audience. It would take the weekly rate and divide by 7 and multiply by 2. It would not take them as separate days and charge at the full daily rate. So, say you had a daily rate of  $500 and a weekly of $5000 it would take the $5000 weekly rate and divide by 7 and then multiply that amount by 2 for the 2 days that are included in the week-long booking. If you have more questions about this you can DM me.

Daniel

Hi green_mango,

I also wanted to address who to tag in posts. This is an area for improvement that we are working on a solution for, so please bear with us while we figure out the mose effective solution. Thank you for calling this out and stay tuned for updates.

Daniel

Thanks ha-moderator-daniel

1.  The PDP was purchased as an add on, so I passed along the contact info you provided previously so that she can call to follow up.  She's been very patient, but cancelling this booking has ended up being a lot of work for both of us & ultimately, VRBO lost a booking. 

2.  I did request to escalate, several times, and was repeatedly told that I had to wait until Monday when tech support would email me.

3.  I'll PM you about the rates - the weekly rate divided by 7 and then multiplied by 2 is higher than my holiday rate I have set for two of the seven nights, yet the quote was too low. 

Thanks!

hmmmm Senior Contributor

I feel that since were are a 24/7 business so should all aspects of the platform, or at the very least, it should be 7 days a week.

We are expected to get back with vacationers, ASAP no matter the time of day or night with reminders.

If we work that schedule then the platform who requires it should be expected to be open 7 days a week too.