10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2019 10:45 AM by familyfirst RSS

Facebook posts of renters breaking rules....

familyfirst Contributor

Okay, let me start by saying these are very nice people. Very complimentary and respectful. A few days ago, someone posted a photo of a visitor's wet dog, sitting on my outdoor sofa, a brand new sofa....not even a towel under him or her. The dog is not staying at my house but they know some locals and they probably thought it was no harm bringing him outside....I decided not to say anything because it's a person visiting, not staying with them. I'll have my manager look and turn over everything at the house and check for dog damage when they leave and I downloaded a photo of the dog on the sofa, just in case. I really like these people but it's not cool. No animals, means no animals. I'm a dog lover but I'm really bothered by the lack of respect.

I don't want to call them because they will think I'm a stalker but in reality they "checked in" to my FB page and I'm able to see all their photos.

What would you do? They will be at my house until Sunday morning.

• Re: Facebook posts of renters breaking rules....
          feibus Senior Contributor

I would follow what my rental agreement said... after they leave.  You don't have a strong enough reason to interrupt their vacation.  But you might have a good reason to keep part of their damage deposit to do additional cleaning... per your rental agreement.

scowol Active Contributor

While I absolutely feel your anger and frustration to see a guest breaking your house rules, your discovery of it was a fluke.  I am sure I would be dead from lack of sleep had my guests been posting pics of their stay on social media during the past 10 years. While I have not seen evidence, I am very certain that I have had over-occupancies, parties, kids jumping up and down on furniture, hanging on rafters, using the counter as a chair, kids running through the house without toweling off after swimming, pillow fights, food dumped on the sofa, dogs, cats and other animals in the house and on the furniture (my properties are pet free), and private activities in inappropriate locations that would be prohibited on social media.  Thankfully I don't know about these things, but we would all be naïve to assume they aren't happening regularly. 

If there's damage, of course pursue the damage aspect accordingly.  But if your outdoor sofa is left like new, smelling fresh and clean, and pet hair free, then it's probably easiest to just move on and be happy that there was no real damage done. 

wildiris Active Contributor

As others have said, I wouldn't say anything to these guests now.  Wait until they leave to see if any extra cleaning is required or if any damage was done.  I understand why you're upset because you don't allow pets and your outdoor sofa is brand new (sort of like getting the first scratch on a new car).  The outdoor sofa will get dirty soon enough.  I'm amazed at how dirty my outdoor furniture gets just from pollen and dust in the air.  Unless the sofa is in a screened porch, there's also the lovely prospect of birds perching on it and pooping. 

hmmmm Senior Contributor

The problem or gift, depending, is I live over, next door or two doors away from all my rentals.

So, I see everything.

familyfirst Contributor

The sofa cushions are fine. I sent the photo to our caretaker and he checked, both sides. Thanks for your help, I was able to step back and not get freaked out. Waiting till AFTER they left to inspect was the best thing to do. If they rent to us in the future, I will make sure they know that NO animals are allowed, even outside.