9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2019 10:55 AM by tnmountainmama RSS

Number of Guests and Beds

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Up for debate. 

My property has 3 bedrooms.  2 with king beds, 1 with a queen bed.

In addition, there is a full size futon in an open loft, and a single bed in an open loft above one of the king bedrooms.

There is a regular sized crib in the queen bedroom.

My listing says that I can accommodate 8 persons.  This means any human, including infants, toddlers and children under 18.

My listing says that I can sleep 8 people in beds.  This assumes 2 per king (4), 2 per queen, 2 on the futon.  I do not count the loft single or crib as both of those share a bedroom/privacy.

I recently had a group inquire who thought that I had 8 separate beds so they could sleep 8 people alone in a bed. 

I have also had families try to book only for the number of adults, totally disregarding the number of children they would be bringing.

Is there a better way to make the sleeping arrangements/number of allowable guests clearer?

• Re: Number of Guests and Beds
          feibus Senior Contributor

You can specify on the listing what type of beds are in each bedroom.  Often that's enough.  For some inquirers, though, nothing will ever be enough because they'll see "sleeps 8" and that's all they will read.

scowol Active Contributor

Travelers look at pictures.  Assuming you have pictures of the futon and also of the single bed, travelers are looking at all the beds and doing the math, and saying "Little Timmy can sleep in that little single bed in the loft, and Sally can sleep on the futon!  How silly that they list 8 persons max when they have more beds.  Let's book it."

As long as you have those pictures of extra beds, you likely will see this issue.

wildiris Active Contributor

My memory is hazy on this, but I think that several years ago the listings differentiated between how many people could sleep in beds and how many people could be accommodated in total.  The listings no longer do that.  I think this is a shame.  All the listings say is "Sleeps X number."  As we owners know, a lot of travelers don't read our listings very carefully.  I think all you can do is list the number of adults that your rental "sleeps" and fully describe the bed/sleeping situation.  I would also make sure that you discuss this with guests ahead of time so there are no unwelcome surprises for them.

Food for thought - We are all different and some guests don't mind having people (particularly children) stay on a pull-out sofa, futon, or air mattress.  (I've had inquirers who wanted to exceed my maximum occupancy number say that "so and so can sleep on an air mattress on the floor.)  For me as a traveler, I definitely wouldn't consider having an adult sleep on a futon or a pull-out sofa.  I wouldn't consider this for my children, either. We did this a couple of times when our children were young and they complained about how uncomfortable it was to sleep on a pull-out sofa.  I also wouldn't consider a full-size bed (or futon) as accommodating two adults.  A full-size mattress is only 54" wide.  A crib mattress is 27" wide, so to have two adults sleep in a full-size bed or futon is like having each of them sleep in an extra-long crib.  I think that a full-size mattress might be fine for two small children to sleep together, but uncomfortable for two adults.

u0999 Premier Contributor

Floor plans. i have floor plans with furniture among pictures and I refer potential renters to those.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Those are lovely...how did you get them done?

u0999 Premier Contributor

we did ourselves. We purchased Chief Architect software in 2012 first time (I think some versions can be had for about $70) and have been using versions of it ever since (we now have more full featured version but even the simplest one will do this). We have done one extensive property rebuild/remodel and one completely new build. and that was extremely useful as I could not only lay out the interior but also show contractors what I want where in 3-D and 2-D. We also used these plans to figure out furniture size and placement before we even bought or built the furniture (i.e I would know if a piece of furniture I was considering buying or making would fit properly into the space). That is how we were able to furnish 2 cabins buying stuff sight unseen from 700 miles away. the plans are just a "byproduct", if you will, of those plans.

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

Agreed.  Not only do floor plans indicate beds, they include the layout of the property and furnishings of all types which is helpful in answering questions of all types.  My guests have noted how helpful the floor plans are in determining the layout of our house and bedroom distribution for their group (we accommodate 8 to 10 guests; 8 in beds and 2 in a queen sofa bed).  On my property's website, the floor plans are the second most visited page.  They're very helpful to travelers, and owners.  I'm exploring the potential of 3-D . . . my current floor plans were created several years ago with a "trial" of an at the time popular software. 

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

This is a constant problem for me and folks wanting to bring more than I allow. I don’t know how many places I can write max occupancy 6 at all times. It is so very frustrating. I have one king, and two queens. I do have a couple of cots with sleeping bags in case kids get scared so that mom and dad can have them sleep in their room without being in the bed. BUT; that does NOT mean bring more children or adults.

Bottom line is that people really don’t read. Then we have issues with complaints to cities, counties, states that get us banned. I so wish that HA would be more proactive in educating guests on why there are occupancy maximums!!

tnmountainmama Contributor

This is a huge issue for me too that costs me all sorts of time answering inquiries.  I have occupancy set at 14...max 8 adults.  I get many requests for 8 adults, but then find out it is more.  I have gotten 2 recently that were 16 adults!  One had already booked and wouldn't cancel, so I had to take the ding, and the other hadn't booked, but complained to me that I advertised 14, so I should have to accept their party of 8 couples (which is actually 16 anyway).  The funny thing is that the only reason she sent an inquiry first was she wanted a discount and only pay $200 a night.  You would think 16 adults could afford to pay more than $200 a night.  I have 3 bedrooms with queen beds, one bunk room with 4 full beds, and one queen pullout sofa.  Adults would only be comfortable with 6 in the queen bedrooms and 2 on the full bottom bunks....one person on each full.  They then try to assure me that the arrangement is fine for them.  No way!