17 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2019 2:47 AM by swlinphx RSS

Refusal to provide Identification

bulajack Contributor

I have a recently booked guest who refuses to provide I.D.   What recourse do I have?  At this point, I am considering canceling, although I realize that HomeAway will punish me for doing so.  Any suggestions?

• Re: Refusal to provide Identification
          wildiris Active Contributor

You've probably already done this, but have you told him that 1) he can redact the driver's license number or passport number from the copy that he sends you and 2) that hotels also require a photo ID before permitting a guest to check-in?  If so, and he still won't provide a copy of a photo ID, I'd nicely explain that for your own security reasons you cannot accept any reservation without a photo ID and that you will have to cancel his reservation.

Do you have the photo ID requirement as part of your house rules on your listing?  If so, call CS and ask for help with the cancellation so that you don't get "dinged" by HomeAway for the cancellation.  If it's not part of your house rules, I would go ahead and cancel this reservation and take the cancellation hit.  Going forward, I'd include it as part of your house rules to help with future situations such as this.

bulajack Contributor

Thanks, wildiris.  It is clearly stated in the Rental Agreement, which she signed, that she needed to provide a copy of her I.D.  I will be adding this to my house rules.  I've decided to take the punishment from HomeAway, rather than jeopardize my property.  So sad that my options are so limited.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Don’t take the punishment, just tell the guest that since they are unable to provide the “required” documents that they will have to cancel their reservation in Traveler account and find another property. I just do this very gently and kindly, but have learned to NEVER cancel my guests, but let them know that they will have to cancel. Then you get the message that they want to cancel and you have to agree to cancel. Then done and moved on.

feibus Senior Contributor

Without ID, if that's what your rental agreement requires (and it should), then no reason to provide the guest with access information.  All you need to do is advise guest of that and she'll either cancel or fall in line.

bulajack Contributor

Her last excuse for not providing an ID was that it is against the law in Canada.  Finally got her to cancel, after she wasted most of my day.  Thanks, everyone, for all of the advice!

u0999 Premier Contributor

as other suggested add to house rules. I also add to the very 1st communication that potential guest receives as a reply to their inquiry. I do not release property address and door code unless all necessary documentation is received and let them know that.