25 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2019 3:41 PM by greggt RSS

Premier Partner offered to PMs after all?

calicalling Active Contributor

Recently, an owner on another group posted an email from HA CS. The CS agent stated that she had recently learned that management companies with more than 200 properties needed only to meet PP status requirements on 101 of those to have PP status for all 200. She says, "the threshold for this [property management companies] is 51%...."

I did not believe this initially, because we have been assured here that this is not the case since October.

I did a quick inventory in my town, though. There are 199 PP properties that sleep more than 7 guests. 24 of them do not meet the review star criteria for PP and many of those have fewer than 4 stars, even as few as 3.5.  When I expanded the search for all PP, 408 properties returned with at least 50 of them having fewer than 4.5 stars. In both cases, each poorly reviewed property was managed by a large PMC.

homeaway_community_manager has there been a new policy change in regards to PP status?

• Re: Premier Partner offered to PMs after all?
          moosebigd Contributor

11/228 properties in our subdivision area of Myrtle Beach have Premier Partner status without a single review for the property.  9 are listed with Evolve; 2 are listed with TurnKey; and 1 is listed with Vacasa.  These property management companies probably meet VRBO's criteria to have PP status but how can VRBO justify this policy for a property without any reviews?

wildiris Active Contributor

I checked my area after reading these posts.  Sure enough - listings managed by Vacasa that have no reviews are Premier Partners.  Having properties evaluated individually for Premier Partner status only began mid-December 2018.  The policy change didn't last four months.  HomeAway changes it's policies as often as some people change their socks.  It gets very frustrating.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

This is an area where HomeAway really could have made a difference.  Homeowners have a hard enough time competing with PMs and hotels.  It would have been wonderful if Premier Partner could have showcased an individual Homeowner.

This program might work better as a Premier Partner (individual homeowner) and Premier Manager (person/company who manages multiple properties).

Then the guest would be able to make an informed choice; to go with a realty company (PM) or with an individual (PP).

homeaway_community_manager, can you confirm if this is a policy change? Are PMs bring given PP status for properties if they have 200 and at least 51% of them meet required criteria? Or perhaps the CS agent was misinformed and gave faulty info?

ashevillelookout, wildiris

HA/VRBO can set their policy as they wish, of course. But it should be communicated clearly,  honestly and consistently to stakeholders. That's really all I'm asking for.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

There are multiple versions of PP help content in the Discovery Hub.  They all seem to state that PP is by property although that is not currently the case for Vacasa listings.   This is the version on "integrated partners" such as Vacasa:

https://www.vrbo.com/discoveryhub/tips-and-resources/improve-performance/your-premier-partner-badge-has-more-power-than-…

As of mid-December 2018, only individual properties that meet these criteria over a 365-day period will display the Premier Partner badge:

HA_liftlisting_icons_2019.png

Here is the version for other non-integrated Property Managers:

"For example: Let’s say you have 100 properties, 50 of which have gotten at least 5 bookings and 3 reviews. At least 26 (over 51%) of those 50 properties would need to meet the program criteria before you would receive an invitation to become a Premier Partner. Those 26 properties would also display a Premier Partner badge in search results as long as they meet the program criteria.

https://www.vrbo.com/discoveryhub/tips-and-resources/improve-performance/premier-partner-101-great-experiences-start-her…

ha-moderator-amanda HomeAway Employee

Hi calicalling,

Thank you for your patience while we were researching this. All partners are upheld to the same standards of any partner with more than one listing. Criteria here can be found here. It’s our priority to provide a consistent experience for all owners, property managers, and travelers. There is a small subset of Premier Partner properties that appear to not meet the published criteria but maintain the badges today. We appreciate your patience as we work towards a consistent experience for all partners.

Thank you and have a great day!

Amanda

HomeAway Moderator

HomeAway is not following it's own posted criteria for what listings will display the "Premier Partner" badge.  I just clicked on the link posted by Amanda on 4/15/19.  This is how HomeAway explains how "Premier Partner" works for owners/managers with more than one listing:

"For example: Let’s say you have 100 properties, 50 of which have gotten at least 5 bookings and 3 reviews. At least 26 (over 51%) of those 50 properties would need to meet the program criteria before you would receive an invitation to become a Premier Partner. Those 26 properties would also display a Premier Partner badge in search results as long as they meet the program criteria."

A listing in my town that is managed by TurnKey Vacation rentals is displaying a "Premier Partner" badge and this listing has ZERO reviews.  I wish that Amanda's statement that HomeAway's priority is to "provide a consistent experience for all owners, property managers and travelers" were true.  Unfortunately, it's not.

Meanwhile, I just noticed that my listing no longer has "Premier Partner" status.  The reason why?  I haven't received 5 bookings during the past 12 months - only 2 bookings.  Hmmm ... whose fault is that, HomeAway?

So, ha-moderator-amanda then the letter from CS agent, which stated that property managers with more than 200 properties need only meet PP criteria for 51% of the properties in order for all the properties to maintain PP was, in fact, incorrect?

feibus CommunityAmbassador

My understanding is that was the old criteria for PP on an account-level.  Now it's on a per-property level.

Yes, that's what I understood, too. But this letter was dated last week and the statement from CS was that the CS agent had discovered a *new policy/policy change* that management companies with more than 200 properties needed only to meet PP status requirements on 101 of those to have PP status for all 200. She says that now, "the threshold for this [property management companies] is 51%...."

I'm aware of the old criteria, and the 'new' criteria. I'm trying to verify if this CS agent was quoting old, outdated news and was incorrect or if the policy has, indeed, changed again to a 'new new'. ha-moderator-amanda?

ha-moderator-meriah HomeAway Employee

Hello. I can understand where all the confusion is coming from. I am attaching the article below that can be found in our help tab. Please click here to review.

For those of you following this, here's what the article says:

-----------------------------------------------------------

..A property has to have been booked at least 5 times and received at least 3 reviews from travelers before you can join the program.

...we’ll assess the traveler experience you provide with those properties. At least 51% of your eligible properties need to meet the following criteria over a 365-day period to receive a Premier Partner invite:

• 85% or higher booking acceptance rate
                                          • 4.5 or higher average review score
                                          • Under 10% cancellations

For example: Let’s say you have 100 properties, 50 of which have gotten at least 5 bookings and 3 reviews. At least 26 (over 51%) of those 50 properties would need to meet the program criteria before you would receive an invitation to become a Premier Partner.

Your property must also have enabled online payments and online booking in order to be eligible for the Premier Partner Program. Your property will display a Premier Partner badge in search results as long as it meets all of the eligibility criteria.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please evaluate if I have this right, ha-moderator-meriah Does this mean that no invite will be extended to the PARTNER unless at least half of the manager/owner properties meet basic PP and the individual properties won't receive the badge unless they individually meet the eligibility criteria?

So for me, as the owner/manager of 6 listings, at least 4 of them need to meet criteria in order for any of them to be considered. But once I've met that threshhold they are individually assessed?

Am I understanding that correctly?

ha-moderator-meriah  -  I "second" the question.  The help article, unfortunately, still leaves the question unanswered.  If an owner or manager with multiple properties meets the Premier Partner eligibility criteria, is the PP badge displayed on all of that owner or manager's listings or only on the individual listings that meet the criteria.  In other words, if an owner or manager meets the PP criteria, will the PP badge appear on one of his listings that has fewer than 3 reviews?

ha-moderator-macy HomeAway Employee

Hi calicalling,

In your situation, based on the information you have given, you are understanding correctly.

Macy

HomeAway Community Moderator

greggt Senior Contributor

This problem has been in existence since the inception of the PP program. There have been promises made numerous times and commitments that HA is working to thin down the PM properties that don't qualify. Not really sure how long this relatively easy process should take but if HA was actually serious about it, I would guess it could be addressed rather quickly.

This has gone on for so long, not really sure what value the PP program brings to owners when substandard properties are displayed as a Premier Partner.

floridarob Active Contributor

I just lost PP status for one of my properties because ONE of my 44 reviews is a single star, given by a guest who left because the weather was COLD and she didn't want to swim in the heated pool... where the water only reached 86 degrees that day. I kid you not. The guest left, and then requested/demanded a refund for the balance of her stay. When I refused, she left a single star review, with comments that directly contradict those of guests who stayed before and after her. AND also contradicted her own comments that she sent me in an email stating that she would recommend our property.

Why do I mention this? Just to point out that the PP evaluation system is obviously flawed. If myself and my property, with a decade of experience and 42 5 star reviews (including a couple since) and 2 four star reviews, gets punted from the program by an obviously bogus review, there is something wrong.

HomeAway simply isn't trying very hard.

SO... Here's a suggestion.  Instead of having Premier PARTNERS, why not have Premier PROPERTIES, and base the program on qualification by an individual property (along with the owner, but secondarily) no matter who is running it?  If a Property Manager (or otherwise) only has 51% of their properties qualifying, then those properties should qualify, and the other 49% should sit in the dark until they qualify as well.

If there are Property Managers who don't like this because they have properties which don't qualify, tough... they will, eventually, and then they can get the designation too. But if I have to sit around waiting for a year to get my PP qualification back for the stupid reason I have to, what would be so bad about making huge property management companies with 100s of unqualified properties wait on earning their designation too?

Fair is fair, and it would also give the designation some credibility, where right now, it has none.