1 2 3 4 Previous Next 104 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2019 3:42 PM by hmmmm Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
        scowol Active Contributor

My VRs are advertised as maximum 6 persons--all ages.  The listing site is clear.  But people think that the rules don't apply to them, and if your rental agreement has only enough space to list six persons, they will list six persons and say nothing more.   So my solution is to have a rental agreement that has a space for 12 persons.

Voila.  About 2 out of 10 travelers fill it out with more than 6 persons.  I tell those travelers they are in violation of the house rules. that I cannot rent to them, and to withdraw the booking request (I'm on 24-hour decision, so travelers can withdraw the request online).

P.S.  This is a reason why I am on 24-hour decision and require the signed RA within 24 hours. I don't want to block my calendar for the rule breakers.

• 16. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I Applaud your ingenuity.  Now I need to revise my RA.

• 17. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
            twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Great Idea!! I think I will add this. Thank you for sharing!!

• 18. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

Thank you for sharing....sorry about your hospital stay....that sounds horrific!

• 19. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                wildiris Active Contributor

Oh my goodness - I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and hope that you are doing well.

• 20. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                  wildiris Active Contributor

I utilize a slightly different system.  When I accept a reservation request or receive an IB, I email the guest through the Vrbo platform and explain that I will be telephoning the guest to obtain the information that I need for the rental agreement.  In this telephone conversation, I ask the guest for the names of everyone who will be staying overnight at the property at any time during the stay.  My rental agreement contains very specific and clear language that if an individual's name is not included in the rental agreement, he may not spend the night at the rental.  Oftentimes, a guest will tell me that they may have friends or family members join them for all or part of their stay, but they aren't sure.  I tell them that I'll include the names of these possible guests in the contract and that if things change, we can amend the agreement at a later time.

I also have a clause in the rental agreement about social visitors.  Like twobitrentals, I don't want more than six people at the rental at any point in time.  If a couple is renting my place, I draft the contract so that they may have up to four social visitors at the same time.  If a family of four is renting, I draft the contract so that only two social visitor may be at the rental at the same time, etc.

I fill out the rental agreement and then email it to the guest for signing.  I get all the information I need for the rental agreement in the telephone conversation (including the guest's home address and telephone numbers).  I fill out everything in the contract before sending it to the guest - the guest doesn't fill out anything.  All the guest does is initial, sign and date the agreement. 

• 21. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                    sanlord Active Contributor

Thanks, I'm doing well now.  It happened at the end of January and it has taken awhile to get back to normal - of course my husband jokes that I've never been normal!   I know this is off topic but if any of you ever have an allergic reaction to medication get to the hospital FAST!  That's only reason I'm here today.  I will say the entire experience has made me look at everything differently. 

• 22. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                      thaxterlane Premier Contributor

If your rental agreement doesn't already include language referring to "violation of the occupancy limit may result in immediate eviction without refund", it should.  Perhaps written directly beneath the list of names and ages of guests to be completed.  Large and bold font in a bright color . . . It could be useful to highlight in communication with the guest as well. 

Having advised this, I'm not certain it is actionable/legal.  Eviction is highly regulated in many cities/counties/states.  Perhaps consulting an attorney is in order.   But, I do think guests are likely to pause  and consider their guest list when they read this warning.

• 23. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                        hmmmm Senior Contributor

Oh very few people are bad, but many people lie.  I have it quite often.

Your site says maximum of .....and they put the number on the request, then deal with the consequence if any later.

They know exactly what they are doing. 

I did say with a winking grin to a large family who lied, oh goodness I hope your two extra children don't know that you forgot about them.  Wink Wink.  UGh

Great disclosure, but they will continue to do this....

• 24. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                          hmmmm Senior Contributor

Brilliant and well done!!!

• 25. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                            hmmmm Senior Contributor

That is excellent really it is.

I am in the dreaded summer season with the "summer" type of guests who want to push and break all the rules.

I love more info to work with and great wording.

Thanks

• 26. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                              green_mango Active Contributor

We have similar language, but we don't use the term 'eviction' due to the legal red tape involved.  Instead it says something along the lines of additional guests result in cancellation of reservation and no refunds will be made & all guests must depart. 

• 27. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

Thaxterlane: I have all that in multiple places, it is really up to the platforms to have a pop up at time of booking so they can immediately choose another property. The problem is that guests don’t read listings, don’t read contracts, don’t read the 3 specific rules allowed (vrbo). It has to be something in the booking process to alert them to the actual issue of being ejected if over-occupied. That is the one place that they actually have to read to complete their reservation???

• 28. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                                  sanlord Active Contributor

An update on our current guests - condo sleeps 6 and guest admitted bringing 8 before arriving.  My neighbor called and said he has counted 12 - TWELVE !!!  Our HOA has a very strict 8 maximum occupant policy.  We can be fined for overcapacity.  I am not a happy camper!  Can't wait till they leave on Saturday.  I've contacted our cleaners to document any damage.  Don't really know what else to do.  These people are definitely on the DO NOT RENT LIST!

• 29. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                                    thaxterlane Premier Contributor

I understand you wish to have the platforms involved, but it's unlikely the platforms will take on occupancy enforcement.  Other than warning the guest of the occupancy limit, it's not clear how the platform could prevent over occupancy.  And a platform can't warn of ejection from a property; regulations differ from state to state and country to country.  Also, how would enforcement occur?  If a guest is not truthful about the number in their party it's not clear to me what action a listing platform might take.  Perhaps I am overlooking something . . . but, at present it's up to the individual owner to combat this issue.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next