1 2 3 Previous Next 104 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2019 3:42 PM by hmmmm RSS

Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I am asking for Homeaway to encourage guests to check the limit of guests in a property. This is a constant issue for my property.

I Just had someone book for 6 adults/0 children, then tell me that they want to be completely honest and say that one of the adults coming has 2 children as well. I explained that this then exceeded my limitation. Why didn’t they include the children on the inquiry.....it would have rejected immediately???? I am sure that they believe that kids stay free as in many hotels.

There are NOT BAD people, but there should be some clarification to list all “breathing” individuals that may stay as they will all be included in many cases. If they had just put in the two kids, it would have kicked it back as above occupancy. Please HA encourage people to use the filters,, and read the entire listing.

Please........Can anything be done.....what a waste of time for them and for me.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Too many people think that as long as the kids don't require a bed, they can jam in as many people as possible. I wonder how many listings on HomeAway and VRBO state that kids are "free" and do not count in the number of guests permitted.  Are there any?  I have a sister-in-law who rents for an annual family reunion.  She never discloses how many kids are going to be sleeping on the floor, and doesn't understand why I get so mad at her when she does this.  (14 adults and 12 kids, BTW)

My permitted by license totals are 8 and 4 persons...persons, not just adults.  HomeAway should be asking the guest "HOW MANY PERSONS will be staying overnight?"  That's what I ask when I speak to my prospective guest.

• 2. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
            calicalling Active Contributor

A contributing factor is that VRBO/HA returns our homes in searches that are above occupancy and give guest the info they need to alter the search. See this post I started back in August.

Re: Over-capacity encouraged by HA/VRBO?

When I searched as a guest, not only did searches return properties that had lower occupancies (I wanted 16, search returned houses that slept on only 14 or fewer), I was also prompted to edit my search to a specific number that would be acceptable.

• 3. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

This I can not understand.....the guest is disappointed that they have to cancel, we are disappointed that we can’t accomodate them. It is so very frustrating. When I explain to guests that every owner has to decide what the maximum occupancy will be based on their amenities and the size of the home, it is for their own comfort and enjoyment. I also explain that it keeps down the wear and tear on the property and is more suitable for my full-time neighbors.

Again.......wasting time for them and me.......what a frustrating endeavor for them to have to start all over again.

I would think that this would be something that could be resolved easily and for those that accept large groups.....great! Mine is strict and I absolutely dislike disappointing those that think that kids should be free.

• 4. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                u0999 Premier Contributor

Thank Airbnb for that. They started this thing of not counting infants and babies into overall count.

• 5. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                  green_mango Active Contributor

Reminds me of when I called VRBO once a traveler to compare the service fee over the phone to online and I asked about bringing more guests and the CS rep said two extra kids in sleeping bags would be just fine.  When I added more people he suggested I perhaps ask the owner.  But two was ok with him (not ok with me!)...

• 6. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

sometimes they are so messy. Sure they can’t truly harm anything, but they can vomit, and has anyone ever seen a blowout through the leg hole?? I know too much informatio!! I am just suggesting that while a baby can not break anything, there can still be issues. I am a Mom of 4 and Grandmother of 12 so I have seen a few things over the years.

• 7. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

I Just want to once again ask Homeaway to educate guests as to over-occupancy whether booking or arriving and then inviting others to the house.

This is a constant problem for me and I would suspect others!!

I Just had a guest ask me if she could have another entire family over to the house for a visit. I said “NO” there is an occupancy limit that includes visiting guests. They have acknowledged the occupancy limit in at least 3 places and yet still ask. THIS IS THE REASON THAT SO MANY CITIES, COUNTIES ARE BANNING VACATION RENTALS (Among other things but I would think it is the primary reason) Why can’t the platforms communicate that many of these homes are in subdivisions with full time homeowners that don’t want to see large gatherings right next door day after day.

This doesn’t even address the wear/tear, additional utilities, additional paper products. No wonder so many owners only have a starter pack of basic supplies. I have unlimited supply and I know HA wants us to be generous, but then we need HA’s help to educate the vacationing guests to honor the limit of guests in the home at all times.

My husband wants me to get out of the business completely....I am starting to think maybe he is right.

• 8. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                        vrdoctor Senior Contributor

The real solution is for OTA's to have a form that people fill out that contains the names and ages of all guests in the group.  Airlines and resorts require you to book by name/age.  It becomes obvious when guests fill out the form and there are no more slots but still more guests planning on coming.  That and the verbiage that only those who are explicitly listed can be on the property.

• 9. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                          margaret CommunityAmbassador

I require the name/age of all guest in my RA.

NAME AND AGE OF EACH MEMBER OF YOUR PARTY-Maximum occupancy of 6 includes all adults and children ages 0 and up. Over Occupancy will result in the entire party being removed from the property and forfeiture of the damage deposit and all rental payments ___________ Guest initials  
                          1                                                                                                                                                                  4

2                                                                                                                                                                  5

3                                                                                                                                                                  6

• 10. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........

Margaret, mine is very similar to yours....requesting everyone who may stay or visit the home. However, many think that they are the exception to the restriction, even telling me that if I allow another family to come over to visit that they will all be sure to follow the house rules. HUH??? You are asking me if you can break the house rule #1 which is no more than 6 at any time.

I Don’t think that they understand “why” we require the limitation and I think that Vrbo should do a better job of explaining it overall, same with the other platforms. Rather, it is commercials of large gatherings around pools, or bar tables, or an abundance of children. Even hotels don’t allow for over-occupancy in their rooms. I tried to post a picture of our state park sign but it kept getting loaded sideways, which stated 1 camp per site and no more than 10 occupants. So, it is a pervasive problem every where that people tend to overlook the obvious. I wanted to ask my guests why they couldn’t go to the family friends house that lived in the area, but I already knew the answer.....they don’t want the mess or wear/tear in their house. Grrrrr!

• 11. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                              ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I am considering having a friend of mine produce a graphic that I can add to my 50 pictures.  My idea is to have a cartoon of the number of people we can accommodate with a green check mark, and a split picture of the same family with a bunch of additional people with a red X.  Pictures speak volumes.

• 12. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                                sanlord Active Contributor

I have guests checking into one of our condos today who are over the limit.  When they made the reservation I was in the hospital in a coma and my husband and son were taking care of the properties - which they never do.  They didn't really pay a lot of attention to much of anything, considering what was happening with me.  They didn't ask the usual questions I do, which probably lead to this situation.  After 3 weeks in the hospital I sent out all of the rentals agreements and, I have to admit, I didn't really notice the names this guest put on the RA until last week when I sent the arrival instructions.  I have to arrange for the parking permits which include the names of everyone staying in the condo, that's when I noticed she had not listed herself and had added a name above one of the others.  There's only room for 6 names on the RA and the reservation was for 5 adults and 0 children!  I did call her and of course she didn't think the children counted.  I explained to her that children do indeed count but since I had not caught it in time they could keep the reservation.   HA/VRBO could have helped prevent this from happening in the first place but I guess the service fee is more important than our requirements.  I realize there will always be people who think they don't have to follow the rules and would ignore anything that HA/VRBO did put in place but at least they could try to help us. 

I have added the following to all of our listings.  This is the second paragraph so even those who don't bother to read the entire listing might actually see it!

"Our condo accommodates 6, which includes all adults, children and babies!"

"Our condo accommodates 4, which includes all adults, children and babies!"

"Our cabin accommodates 8, which includes all adults, children and babies! "

• 13. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                                  green_mango Active Contributor

That's very similar to what I do - I don't require ages of adults, just names, and then for kids, just ages (no names).  I also have room to describe 2 dogs - so if left blank it's easy to show no dogs approved. 

We can not rely on VRBO to provide these forms or educate the guest on over occupancy - they don't care.  This is up to the owners (and there are a lot of owners who don't care either). 

• 14. Re: Over occupancy issues AGAIN...........
                                    linky17 Active Contributor

Maybe one among you will recall -- as I do -- that a 'then' (but who?  When?  In which thread?) frequent poster to this forum did create + share a polished info-graphic like the one that you propose?  (BTW ~  Go for it!  And DO post!)  Pretty sure that that their VR was in California.

Anyhow, it illustrated -- simply + humorously (IMO)/ using red Xs over clean but bold caricatures -- not only infractions to their RA/House Rules ... but also the penalty-side for same, documenting even the involvement of law enforcement due to city code.  Beyond occupancy: I remember that the number of cars parked was also included.

Anyone?  I'd love to re-visit it.

1 2 3 Previous Next