43 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2019 2:15 PM by mvphawaiicondo RSS

New logo a no go

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

What were they thinking? The new logo is horrid. The idea that people are going to learn to pronounce VRBO as HA suggests is laughable. Seems a name change that is honest should have been done along with logo change. The site is VRBA (anything).

• Re: New logo a no go
          eem Active Contributor

After spending big bucks promoting the VRBO brand during super bowl, they now, less than three months later, decide to dispose of it. Welcome to "ver-boh". which is short for "No Longer Vacation Rental By Owner".

hickmanhideaway Contributor

I agree. We are no longer shown as owning the properties. It is no longer the owner involvement according to the new branding!

wildiris Active Contributor

HomeAway decided years ago that satisfying owners is not their main priority.  We used to be viewed as customers and important to them.  They changed their focus years ago to consider the traveler as their customer and owners are merely suppliers.  I think they realized that owners didn't appreciate being called "suppliers" and "rebranded" owners as HomeAway's "partners."  I think that rebranding VRBO (pronouncing each letter separately) to Vrbo (Verbo - a nonsensical word) is just more of the same.

feibus Senior Contributor

I think it's "meh!", but I'm also very much left-brained, so I accept that my opinion on graphic design questions might be wrong.

jfriedkin Active Contributor

I like the idea. Not sure that it was executed properly.  If VRBO is going to a 70's vibe they hit the nail on the head, however, there seems to be a disconnect between the logo and the video.

I do like the cool V that appears on the Chrome tab.

VRBO to Vrbo (Ver-boh).  I'm sure that other companies will follow suit.  AT&T to At-ant, CBS to seebzz, etc.

calicalling Active Contributor

My first thought when I saw it as that it is meant as a 'V' to combat/compete with the very recognizable Airbnb 'A.'

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the 45 year old, married mama demographic I'm in isnt the one this is directed at.

dramsey Contributor

I don't mind the new logo. We've always called VRBP (verbo). Just easier to say. I did not like the video with the kids jumping on the furniture. We've put a lot of money and time in updating our condo and want it to be respected. Just my opinion.

moosebigd Active Contributor

I haven't yet watched the video... Maybe the answer to my question is there...  If not I will call CS for an answer (sarcasm intended):

How will this change of logo benefit the "partners" who are the backbone of the company?

feibus Senior Contributor

Marketing/branding theory.  Create a recognizable branding (or rebranding), spend money on the brand to make it visible and give it positive attributes, and the outcome should be more desired customers using the product (rent our homes).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.  Can't know for sure for about a year whether it was a worthwhile use of money.

I'm the first to agree that many changes which might have benefitted the platform over the last few years did not benefit us as partners, but in this case, I think benefits could be reciprocal.

So, they ran that commercial at Superbowl time, which I've heard was even more successful than anticipated.

But I think at the same time they (rightly) recognized the V.R.B.O was clumsy to say and didn't communicate much.... Especially as compared to their direct competition: 'Airbnb' is so easy to say, communicates well, and has that universally recognized 'A'; even 'HomeAway' at least communicates well and is fairly easy to say.

"Successful" for all of us (platform and owners) requires more clicks and more bookings. If more people know Verbo, and more people recognize Verbo, and more people use Verbo ....  Bookings (good for me) = service fees (good for them) = success.

So if the new logo helps create a brand that brings in new, qualified, quality travelers, that is to my benefit. If it leads to those awesome new travelers making bookings, that is to my benefit.

Will this logo bring in qualified travelers? My Verbo travelers have gotten exponentially worse (more damage, more complaints, more rule breakers) over the last few years, so I'm skeptical on this point. But eternally hopeful. ;-)

scowol Active Contributor

Ironically, last week a younger colleague of mine mentioned to me that they booked a rental on "Verbo."  I corrected him, and said it's not "Verbo", it is "V.R.B.O."   He laughed and said, what does that mean?  I told him, and he just said, "Well, me and my friends will keep calling it Verbo."

As expected, lots of people will bash HA for this, complain about the logo or whatever.   But I'm just glad that HA is investing in the brand and will publicize it more.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I have always called it Vrbo, I even call my place a Vrbo no a VR. I don’t think this is just for young people I have called it that since I started with them 9 years ago and I am 63 this year. All my family and friends call them Vrbos. If I remember correctly I was told at the Seattle Summit that I was the only one that one owner had heard calling it that instead of V.R.B.O.

Sooooooooo to each his own. After all for me it is a Vrbo, not just a VR.  A VR can be owned by anyone or anything as in Corporation, I am an owner operated VR. LOL

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

You make me laugh...I am also an Oovr.  (Pronounced  Ohhh ver?)

But I cannot be a Verbo.  It just sounds offensive to me, and disrespectful to persons of Spanish Hispanic descent.

(corrected when my Hispanic friend pointed out my error)

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I understand what you are saying and I think that we all need to be comfortable in what we say and do. It never occurred to me that it would be considered a slur to anyone....it was just an easy and smooth part of the conversation instead of spelling each letter out. Guess in my old age looking for the “less is more” in life. LOL Of course if I worried (at my age) at everything I say being offensive.....I’d be in real trouble....I can barely keep up with all the words that are becoming so-called offensive. Example I have a disabled grandson.......who is “retarded”, but that word has become perverted into a negative, but the reality is retarded has a true meaning. If someone said that my grandson was mentally retarded, I would say, yes, it happened at birth. To say he is disabled unfortunately does NOT imply his specific issue and developmentallly delayed could mean many things, but when you say mentally retarded it is clear his disability. None of us get offended by the word. We choose to assume that people have the best interest at heart and move forward from there. I think we all are able to distinguish between words to Harm and proper use of words in regular conversation???

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

you have a good memory !

ohst8er Premier Contributor

No, just no!   I don’t really have an opinion about the logo one way or another but the pronunciation is horrid.   Airbnb works because you say the word air then you say b n b.   no one attempts to pronounce bnb Like it’s a word.   If you really want to know the proper way to use acronyms as words the best leader is the military.  AFIT  is the word.   It stands for Air Force Institute of technology.  GEICO  is the word. It stands for government employees insurance company.  USMC Is not a word.  It stands for United  States Marine Corps but nobody tries to pronounce it as a word. They say U S M C.   Why, because it sounds stupid otherwise.   VRBO is V R B O.  If you want to try to pronounce the acronym you say, if you’re doing it properly,  VaRBO.  you use the second letter in the first word.   To do otherwise makes the person speaking sound foolish.   I’m sorry, after years of working for the military, and also being someone who  takes pains  to make sure  my professional writing is  grammatically correct, I just think this is  too painful to the ears. And not well thought through.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi Everyone,

We received several comments from you about our video. We appreciate your feedback, and we’ve uploaded an updated version. You can see it in the Discovery Hub here.

We also want to reiterate that this is NOT our new commercial; this is a video that was made just for this launch to showcase how much better vacations can be when spent together, under one roof. This video was created for our partners and has not been shared with our broader traveler audience.

Thank you!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

u0999 Premier Contributor

went an looked at the logo once again. made me dizzy. Did they run this by ADA  - how about visually impaired people? It can make a person with normal eyesight go cross-eyed and have vertigo. Also reminds of something out of the 70s.

I have seen the new commercial on TV... no kids jumping on furniture... thank goodness.  But what I can't believe is that there is no lead in to the new logo or name change, nothing to let consumers know that Verboh used to be VRBO.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

The new logo definitely has a retro vibe, everytime I see it the word "groovy" runs through my mind.

What - you don't like the look of bell bottoms and platform shoes?

In defense of the new logo, I'll say this...  The world would be a boring place if everyone liked and disliked the same things.  And the fact that some people view the font as "retro"... to each his own.  I think the real issues should be that this change was made so suddenly and the impact this new logo will have on marketing our properties.

Yes.  "Different strokes for different folks."  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  Actually, I don't think the logo change or the change in capitalization and pronunciation (VRBO to Vrbo) will have any impact on marketing our properties.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I didn't say I didn't like it, I like retro. I haven't decided yet if I like the logo, I don't like the new pronunciation, it sounds awkward to me. I simply said every time I see ithe logo the word groovy comes to mind. It's not a word that usually comes into my mind or even a word that I would ever have used; I was very young when groovy was a popular word. Like wildiris I don't think it will have any impact on marketing our properties.

Same here.  For full disclosure, I wore bell bottoms and platform shoes in the '70s.  I may have used the word "groovy" from time to time, although not very often.  I don't really care one way or the other about the new logo.  What I don't like (and also think is silly) is the new pronunciation of "Verbo."  I doubt many travelers will be aware of the new "official" pronunciation and, if they are, they won't care.  The redesign of corporate logos is always a much bigger deal to the corporate insiders than it is to the consuming public.

treeguy Contributor

I like the new logo.  The upstroke (not sure what else to call it) reminds me of a person jumping joyously or a splash of water.  As for the pronunciation I had to laugh because my sister and brother-in-law have used verbo when referring to VRBO for a long time.  I had always corrected them - now the laugh is on me!!

I am sensitive to dropping the 'by owner' part because that is  a key component for my travelers who are looking for a more intimate and relaxed atmosphere.

No matter how much we do or don't like it, the resulting satirical reproductions/spoofs on social media have been really distracting this week. Some pretty funny stuff out there, but the comparison to the neon "Dirk Diggler" from Boogie Nights is probably my fav.