43 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2019 7:58 AM by myrtlebeachgirl RSS

Boost Power Ups Not Working

myrtlebeachgirl Contributor

I have used some of my power ups but now it won't let me click on it to use the rest.  Is there a minimum or can you only do so much a month?  The button is there but can't click on it.

• Re: Boost Power Ups Not Working
          feibus Senior Contributor

I'm not seeing an issue.  Have you tried calling CS?  They can view your dashboard the same way you can, so you can walk them to the part where there's an issue and they can see the same thing... or they won't, in which case, they'll tell you to clear your cache and cookies just to be sure.  So you can start with that step before calling them instead

dramsey Contributor

I had the same problem. I applied quite a few of the Boost points and then decided to take a break. When I started again I was unable to click on Boost. I waited a few hours and was again able to use the Boost button.

I have checked quit a few dates to boost to see what happens.  I can boost up to May but not further out.  So may you can only boost up to two months ahead.  If that is the case the rep and who he checked with should know that.  We'll see, no word yet from VRBO to the solution.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi myrtlebeachgirl,

You did the right thing reaching out to Customer Support. There is not a 2 month limitation like you're describing. We see there is a case open with tech support, so they will reach out when they have a resolution. Thanks!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

Talked with support today and apparently it's a nationwide glitch and my complaint has been moved to top priority and should hear something within 24 hours.  According to the rep I'm not the only one with this problem.  I'll update ASAP.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

I am a little concerned about adding too many ingredients into the secret sauce.  I'm afraid the whole recipe will fail, the cake will fall, etc.  What I am talking about is using the new rates editor along with set your strategy (opportunities), along with tweaking rates within rate seasons, along with boost.  Here's a copy paste of a post I posted when set your strategy came along some time ago.   That's alot of "tools" trying to operate all at once.  Here's what happened with the sauce BEFORE boost came along.  Will using all of these AND boost create an even bigger mess?  I'm not interested in being the test subject to find out. 

July 20, 2018:

When I tried to use set your strategy in conjunction with the new rates editor..  What I ran into is this....

I set my rates for the seasons, and all was good.  If you set your rates and don't touch them, then use the "set your strategy" to drive your changes, it's a good program.

BUT...

If you do what I did, set your rates, then tweak a week up or down within seasons, what you have done is created a rate pattern within a rate pattern.  The new rates editor was designed to do just that, and it is an awesome tool to be able to adjust up or down to instantly react to changes in the market.

BUT...

If you've done all that you create the mess I'm referring to.  Here's an example:

Let's say you have your summer peak season set at $200 a night.  Maybe you have a pocket of dates within that season that you want to increase, or decrease, for whatever reason, say  June 17-June 21st.   You click on June 17, then click on June 21.  That's your rate pattern you want to affect.  You change the rate, up or down it doesn't matter, and hit save.  You've now created a rate pattern within a rate pattern (the 17th - 21st is now a rate pattern within your seasonal rate pattern).  Now let's say that the "set your strategy" gives you an indication that June 20th - June 23rd is the sailing regatta, and you should increase your rates accordingly.  What you SHOULD be able to do is highlight June 20-then highlight to June 23rd, and adjust the rate accordingly.  Except you cannot, because you are attempting to adjust a rate that crosses thru two different rate patterns, your original seasonal rate pattern, and this new rate pattern.  You can highlight June 20-June 21 and change the rate, and then June 22-23 and change the rate, that works, but NOW, you have created two brand new rate pattern subsets.  So now, in the month of June, you have 3 different rate pattern subsets existing within your original summer rate pattern in June.  It gets SUPER messy to manage.  If you get to June and those dates never booked, and you want to now maybe DROP the rate, you have a giant mess on your hands to fix.  Unless the programmers figured it out and corrected it in the past few months of course, though I doubt it, it took me 3 calls into CS before I even found a rep that could UNDERSTAND what I was saying, and this particular guy not only understood it but concurred that it was INDEED a problem, and a mess!

feibus Senior Contributor

What you describe.. I've done it.  No conflicts.  Set rates for a big block of time, then adjust for individual days if you want, it works fine.  Each date has its own rate information, there are no longer patterns, except those that the brain detects; internally, it's a different rate setting for each date.

Set your strategy just offers rate advice, it doesn't change your rates or even tell you that maybe you need to reduce your minimum nights (hello? VRBO?).  You can accept or reject the advice... I tend to reject it, but I think I know my market a little better than the algorithm does.

Boost just changes where you are positioned in the search results; doesn't touch your rates.

No conflicts.

Just heard back from the technical department.  They are forwarding the issue to their development team since they can't resole the issue.  I'll update when I hear back.

Here is VRBO's reply to the power up boosts.  Maybe this can be clarified in an easier way...

It was explained you were attempting to Boost available dates, but the "Boost search position" link was disabled, or grayed-out, for these specific dates.  This was thought to be due to an error or defect.

If we've misunderstood the issue you were reporting, please reply with clarification.

After reviewing the dates in question, however, we can confirm that the "Boost search position" link on the right remains disabled by design, and not due to any error or defect.  It is disabled for the selected dates due to your "Your avg. search position" being unavailable for these dates.

To clarify further, if you select dates that do not contain "Your avg. search position" (a "-" will be displayed here when unavailable), the "Boost search position" feature will remain disabled.

I sincerely apologize if this was not clarified on your initial call.

Recently, we've received multiple calls regarding this matter, and our developers are aware of the confusion this design has caused.  While we cannot provide any further specifics or details regarding potential, upcoming changes and improvements to this page and/or feature, feedback has been received and we encourage you to leave your own feedback with any thoughts or ideas you feel may improve the experience.

Since we can confirm the "Boost search position" control is disabled as expected in this scenario, we will be closing this Technical Support case.