15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2019 1:56 PM by dinamight RSS

Boost

dinamight Contributor

My neighbor showed me an email from VRBO telling him about Boost, where:

"Earn power-ups when you accept bookings on VRBO and after a traveler completes their stay."

and

"Use your power-ups to improve your listing's search position and make it easier for travelers to see your property when they’re searching."

and

"Choose how many power-ups to use and what dates you want to boost."

Your Service Fee dollars at work! They should get the basics right before adding all these bells and whistles, IMHO.

It's starting to sound like a computer game, I'm not sure they have their demographic right.

• Re: Boost
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

Power ups?  Oh in heaven‘s name NO.  Just no!

mauimakani Contributor

I noticed Boost being offered to me on my dashboard today, didn't receive an email though. At quick glance, not really intuitive for me. Anyone using Boost that can provide your thoughts and experience?

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi kiheiretreat and all,

Here's some more information for you:

What is Boost?

How do I use my power-ups?

Give it a try and let us know what you think!  Thank you.

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

feibus Senior Contributor

How wide is this test?  I definitely don't have this feature.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

homeaway_community_manager, ok, I'm not shooting down the idea...  But the names are cheesy.  Is the group that thought of this avid Mario Kart fans???  Pokemon card collectors? 

Or do they hang out at Dave & Buster's regularly?

If you want to know more about power ups, click here... The 20 Coolest Video Game Power-Ups | Green Label

If you want to know more about "boosting" you can also click here...    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/what-does-boosting-mean-26314022/

feibus Senior Contributor

too many energy drinks was my guess.

Hi ohst8er,

We appreciate your thoughts on this. Please know we did extensive testing with partners and focus groups before we settled on the naming conventions for the product.  The idea is that you're giving your listing a literal boost in rankings! Thank you.

Erinn

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Is this relevant to the homeowner who has one or two properties?  So much of what I see being added to the website and the dashboard is for the BUSINESS property owner who is making a living off of multiple properties.  What happened to the website that was geared to the individual homeowner looking to offset their mortgage with some rentals? 

Hi ashevillelookout,

Yes, Boost is absolutely for homeowners with one or two properties!  You’ll earn power-ups when you accept bookings on HomeAway and after travelers complete stays. You can use those power-ups to improve your search position when you need the most help getting a booking, like during your off-season or for a gap in your calendar.

Thank you!

Erinn

mauimakani Contributor

Thank you for the links, Erinn. I have gone through them and don't feel confident that they are sufficient other then on a very basic level. I have watched the short video and gone through some of the steps and stopped prior to applying them.

Will I see a forecast of my "Boost" prior to accepting?

Confirming that I have the option to cancel the "Boost" if I do not feel that the results are of value for these dates and would rather use them elsewhere?

The process of moving through multiple screens (steps) for the process isn't very transparent without more information. If it is going to be multiple screen process, maybe have a status bar or have test indicating "Step 3 of 6" etc.

Was this tested with a small group prior to launching? Or am I part of this test process?

Hi kiheiretreat,

Great questions!

Will I see a forecast of my "Boost" prior to accepting?

Yes, you will see your forecasted average search position before you choose to accept the boost.

Confirming that I have the option to cancel the "Boost" if I do not feel that the results are of value for these dates and would rather use them elsewhere?

No, you will not be able to cancel a boost or reduce the number of power-ups applied to a boost once you’ve set it up.

The process of moving through multiple screens (steps) for the process isn't very transparent without more information. If it is going to be multiple screen process, maybe have a status bar or have test indicating "Step 3 of 6" etc.

That’s great feedback, we’ll pass it along to the team.

Was this tested with a small group prior to launching? Or am I part of this test process?

Yes, we have been testing this program over the past several months. However, as always, we continue to welcome your feedback to make our products and programs better.

Thank you so much and we can't wait to hear about your experiences!

Erinn

u0999 Premier Contributor

I do not see it anyplace in dashboard....

dinamight Contributor

I tried it myself today, it works! Took me a while to find it (in MarketMaker, thanks to Erinn's link) but it was easy to use.

The current and projected rankings didn't make sense to me because it didn't reflect what I was seeing when viewing properties in my area.

My house was 14th in my town yet the "current" numbers were 70-80 or 60-70 or 50-50 depending on the day.

I could only apply 161 or 322 boosts (of my 416 or so), nothing else was possible. I applied 161 (for a 7-day period) and immediately my property jumped from 14th to 8th. Nice!

It would be better if it could tell me exactly which search terms it's using to get the "current" positions so that I could recreate it myself and get an idea of what soort of boost the different numbers of points would give before I used them (I assume it's not possible to unboost and get your points back).