8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2019 2:09 PM by feibus RSS

Rental Agreement - Property Address Listed

hillsidelodgenh New Member

I am looking at sample rental agreements to use for my property that I listed.  Does everyone list their full property address on the rental agreement?  I understand why this is done, but I'm wondering if there is another way around it and provide the full property address at a later date or maybe provide the HomeAway Listing ID and the city, state?  The reason why I ask is because I don't want to provide the full address of the property too far in advanced to protect the privacy of the guests that I have that are on the property.  I've had a guest ask for the property address so she can check out the area because she is in the neighborhood, however her booking is months away.

• Re: Rental Agreement - Property Address Listed
          feibus Senior Contributor

Court might not allow an agreement signed for a rental with no specific rental address listed.  In which case, you're not as protected as you'll want to be in case of a problem.

Better to improve the security of your home than worrying about giving the address to guests.  Cameras on the outside work wonders while still affording the guest privacy.  Just make sure you list in your agreement that there "may be" cameras on or around the property, but not inside, for the safety and security of your guests and your home.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

But are they not sending a rental agreement copy to them as well and have them send one back.

Then you can put your address on it.

You can't change a rental agreement after it has been signed and expect the court to accept it when you feel you need to litigate something.

Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote...?

hmmmm Senior Contributor

No I am putting the rental agreement on the site and labeling it a sample agreement.
                      Then when I send the one from me directly, I add the address and my information.

I like the idea that it is a sample only.

Or is it better to keep the entire agreement off the HomeAway site?

Oh!  I see.  I do a sample on the site, marked with a huge watermark that says (not surprisingly) "SAMPLE" across every page.  So that an enterprising guest doesn't try to fill in the details and sign it, since it's not always the latest and greatest version.  I did still have someone try to fill it in....

The one that goes to the guest via e-signing service has everything in it, including the home address.  But the OP's complaint was that was too early to provide that information to the guest, which might be true except for the laws around rental agreements that require the agreement to be explicit about the location when the agreement is signed.

green_mango Active Contributor

For the uploaded agreement that guests can "click the box" and agree to without actually reading the document, I have a "redacted" contract - has all of the information, but not address.  Then, after a guest books I send them the actual agreement (with address) which I add dates & price to, and they add names of guests and sign digitally. 

I don't worry about giving the address too far in advance - I simply don't anticipate my guests would visit and violate privacy of another guest beforehand. I have no problem with a guest who has a future booking driving by - I've done the same thing myself (just driving by - not stopping and taking a look around).  As a guest, I feel more comfortable knowing the exact address of the home I'm paying big $ to rent - and I like to know the address at time of or shortly after payment.  I would not recommend withholding that information until close to time of visit.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

You are sending one separate form the PDF on the site you uploaded correct?

If so, then you can add the address to the one you personally send.

Edit out the one on the Homeaway site.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I have "Sample Rental Agreement" post on the site. I do not have the address or any personal info on the sample agreement. I send a personalized RA to each guest to finalize the booking. I have noted in my listing and in my house rules that the personalize RA will be sent by email and must be signed and returned to finalize the booking.