21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2019 10:49 AM by margaret RSS

How can I give a discount?

wkm2a Contributor

Previously when sending a guest a quote I had the option of adding a discount if I wanted to...that option now seems to be gone.  The only thing available now is a drop down of fees I can add.  The only way to do it now is to subtract the amount from the rental payment input box.  This adds confusion to the quote now since there can be no line item discount...I used to do a line item military discount or a return guest discount.

Let me know how you guys are handling discounts....maybe I am missing something.

• Re: How can I give a discount?
          homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi wkm2a,

Here's what the help portal says about adding discounts: How do I edit a quote?

If you have concerns about how the interface works we encourage you to leave feedback via the feedback widget. Thank you!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

newportbeach92663 New Member

I also would like to know why the feature for a line-item discount was removed! Previously, you could enter a negative number for fees to allow for a one-time per-customer "loyalty" (repeat customer) discount. I don't want to discount the entire rate for everyone in the world, just for this one customer quote. Why was that feature removed? How do we do a discount now?

hmmmm Senior Contributor

What I do, when I have a guest I want to offer a discounted quote is to reply to them and let them I am discounting them off the rental rate.
              Then I look like the good guy and they are told up front that they are getting the discount. 

A wise businessman years ago, told me to let everyone know what I do for them in business.

wkm2a Contributor

This is the exact reason that I want to be able to put a line item discount into the quote...if you just wrap it into the rental rate without a specific deliminator guests end up getting confused or they think they didn't get a discount.  It is mainly psychological....when you see the word "discount" there is a positive response...but also I want to remove confusion from the quotes I send.

I know through A/B testing it has been shown that transparency is bad for business in the near term but I don't like to operate that way...I think long term.

If we just change the rental amount (as I have already tried), the tenant is not told there is a discount. Sure, you would think that just communicating this to the tenant in email text would be enough, but we are dealing with sometimes non-digital-native (older generation) or non-native-English (foreigners) who are already sufficiently confused with the online reservation system.

Now you are saying that I would first have to send them a quote at "original pricing" and then tell them "but please don't click on this one" and then send an updated quote with discounted pricing and tell them "okay you can click on this one now". That's very confusing!

You mention that there was low usage of the discounts feature in the past. That may very well be true. But how was the existence of that feature hurting the 95% of users that were not using the feature? Would it not have been better to keep the discount feature to "delight" the 5% of users that make use of it, at no cost to the 95% that do not make use of it?

Honestly, there isn't much of a feature request here -- just allow "Fees" to be specified as NEGATIVE numbers as before and this problem fixes itself. homeaway_community_manager please escalate this to the Web UX/UI team and assign someone to work on the backlog. This is a simple fix for a feature that you REMOVED. It's so infrequent that successful software removes features at all (even if they're not being used). When is the last time you did a mail merge or use the equation editor in Microsoft Word? Likely never. But it's still there for the 5% of users who do need it.

At this point, my commitment to Vrbo is waning. Every year since the Expedia acquisition, there's been something else that chips away at the independence of owners. Other platforms like AirBNB or Booking or Agoda etc don't have these ridiculous restrictions on discounts. The icing on the cake is that up until I mentioned it, your site was actually professing that per-customer loyalty discounts were a best practice. Please bring this feature back!

I have opened up a case with the resolutions department and have had nothing but problems with their customer support. On Sunday, several online chat sessions with agents were abruptly closed with "agent has left the session" when I pressed this issue. They don't want to talk about it. I called on the phone Sunday and asked for a manager escalation. I was told no manager was available but a callback can be scheduled. I scheduled the callback for Monday 10am pacific time. Vrbo instead called me Wednesday at 12:47pm -- that's more than 48hrs after their blown appointment.

Vrbo sent me an unhelpful email right after and said "we missed you when we called" (not mentioning it was 48hrs late). I responded to the case in email and I asked the manager to schedule a phone call during normal business hours today, Thursday. I reiterated NOT to call unannounced, but to SCHEDULE a call back. Instead, Vrbo decided to call and wake me at 7am pacific time today. The Vrbo customer service is appalling.

dreamck Contributor

We'd like to do the same for returning guests.  HOW?  Please help, curious to know what to do.

wildiris Active Contributor

Why is a returning guest booking through Vrbo (and paying the Vrbo traveler service fee) instead of booking directly with you?

dreamck Contributor

Great question... didn't even occur to me to take it off line, to be honest.

green_mango Active Contributor

Wow!  Your guests haven't asked either?  I've literally never in 5 years had a guest book twice through either Airbnb or VRBO.  Last year 80% of my nights booked were booked by repeat guests - there's a lot of value to be had in letting a guest #bookdirect if they'd like to - the cost can amount to an extra night on vacation

I have my own website and newsletter and process payments with Square - anything that starts with VRBO/Airbnb I complete on the site for the first reservation, as those are the rules.  But, repeat guests are welcome to choose how they'd like to book and no one has even chosen to pay the extra service/booking fees twice.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

Do your past guests have your direct contact information? I am also surprised that your repeat guest aren't contacting you to book direct and save the OTA fees. Like green_mango all of my repeats email, text or call me to book return visits.