51 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2019 7:14 PM by wishing4wind RSS

A new owner will get your hard-earned reviews?!

kmccor Contributor

For those of you who are suddenly seeing this on the property you own, "During this stay the property was under previous owner or management," it gets worse. VRBO  attaches your reviews to the property, not you.

I was just told by customer service that if I were to sell my unit, which has totally 5-star reviews that I earned, the new owner will get all my reviews with that very same light gray disclaimer. So, they are attaching reviews to the property, not to the owner who runs it. You cannot transfer your own reviews. BUT, all your reviews, as of 2 or 3 weeks ago, go with the property! 

• Re: A new owner will get your hard-earned reviews?!
          hill5185 CommunityAmbassador

You do realize the reviews are not yours? They live in HA/VRBO land - download and save all reviews on your own platform.

On a side note as the VR/STR business becomes more mainstream a property producing strong bookings with great reviews will increase the value. Our VR is  a business and anything that increases value is good by me.

kiawahbill Contributor

Exactly!  This is all positive in my view.  Having the option to transfer reviews is awesome because transfer is just another word for sell.  Owners of highly ranked properties will be able to leverage their reviews and realize value when the property is sold.  Great move HA!

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Maybe and I would add, the problem lies in that the property may not look the same exactly, or the service may not be the same as the previous owner provided.
                  When a restaurant changes hands, and its name is kept, that does not mean that the quality, and familiar appeal will remain the same.

When we sell, I do not want my reviews, reviewed about my service, and my quality of cleanliness giving hope to potential vacationers that they will get the same 150 degree service I provided.    The only thing that will be the same is the location.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

And I would add that this business for many of us is really about providing a service, not just a money making machine.  That is the reason we can do this, but the service provided, along with the integrity is what fills my well and keeps me working for 30 years in this business.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Why would you care after you have sold it though? I don’t understand why anyone would worry about it. The home would stand on its own merits going forward. One bad review after you have sold would indicate to others that something is now amiss!! Not my worry or concern any further....enjoying my life and moving on.

planthealth Active Contributor

Our reviews set us apart because my husband works from home and is always available by phone/email/text. The guest love that as much as the view. VRBO will just **** off future guests by misleading people if we were to sell and someone less communicative/available would take over. But after I sell, I dont care OTHER THAN burn a guest once and when they go to book with me having been burned before by this...now our potential guests are shy.....

kmccor Contributor

I have a Web site and, of course, downloaded them all and displayed them there.  I would disagree with you that they are not mine, however. If I am the owner, the manager, the cleaner, the operator, the advertiser, and do it all myself, then they are mine. They certainly are not attributable to someone new.  If this is what HomeAway is going to do, then permit me to move my reviews and state with a disclaimer that they are from a property previously owned and operated by me. Or, just leave it alone and not transfer any reviews, which has been the policy until recently.

treeguy Contributor

Unfortunately I believe @hill5185 is correct.  Expedia/HA owns the site and anything placed on that site becomes pretty much their property.  They are free to create/change any rules governing the site.

The sad truth is that as the execs at Expedia/HA chase after ever increasing earning per share stats we become mere pawns in the game.  We may own the inventory but that only gives us a limited set of choices in how Expedia/HA is run.  We can voice our concerns, which I highly recommend, but in the end if our pain threshold becomes to great the remaining choice is to exit Expedia/HA.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

The facts are that the new owners/mangers may not present the property with the same standards you held.
                          And the management itself may be subpar.

Do the new owners or managers also, gain the metrics with these previously earned reviews.

The reviews for a new owner/manger are false advertisement in the fact that any other entity than the management is not correct.

Anyone reading my reviews would believe they are getting the same 150% service and quality of care that I gave.
                          Which as most of us know is not true for many rentals.

scowol Active Contributor

Taking what CS told you is true and if I interpret this correctly, HA will carry-forward the reviews and put a disclaimer at the top of the review.  OK.

I can appreciate that no one wants to have their hard work given away. But...

First, what is the true loss incurred to you if someone does get to keep your "hard-earned" reviews?  You no longer own the property and it's behind you. So what is the actual financial loss here?  When I sell my primary residence or my vacation rentals, I could care less what the new owner gets to say or proclaim.  Have at it. I have zero financial interest and zero emotional interest once I sell.

Second, turn this on its head..  if you have tons of hard-earned 5-star reviews, it's a fantastic selling opportunity to tell a buyer that they get to not only buy your property, but it comes with five-star reviews!   You just increased your listing price by thousands.  In other words, you can get extra cash for those hard-earned reviews.  For me, you can bet I'll have my real estate agent tell the buyer that this house comes at a premium price because the reviews come with it!

IMO, I see no true, quantifiable loss, and only an opportunity to gain.  This is a win to me.  But I tend to look at my properties both operationally and strategically to increase my profits.

P.S.  My opinion on this is not related to the defect where every listing is showing the disclaimer on page 2 of the reviews.   That defect needs to be fixed!

tahoelodgingonline Contributor

You make some good points.  I think VRBO/HA *should* allow us to transfer our listings and putting a disclaimer that reviews have been inherited seems like a reasonable way to warn travelers to take the reviews under previous ownership or management with a grain of salt.  Of course, I'm not especially happy that both of my listings are now showing an inaccurate warning claiming falsely that the review was posted under previous ownership or management when in fact I've earned all of those reviews.

planthealth Active Contributor

Agree, it should be the selling person's choice-ask VRBO to allow the transfer or not. Then each owner can evaluate for themselves. VRBOs caveat then makes sense to me, they are trying to say the property may be essentially the same but the owners might not be. I commend VRBO if they are giving owners an option.

It is SO PAINFUL getting a new VR up and going. BEGGING for those first few reviews.

I have 4 VRs, 2 are in 1 building and 2 are in a different building. I wish we could have "profiles". Like my Market Maker comp set. I have IDENTICAL VRs in a building and have established a comp set. I wish we could say "apply comp set from VRBO listing ____ to this VR in which I am working."

Or rates, if I establish rates for the winter in VR #1, how nice would it be to say "apply 1 Nov to 1 March from this VR to that VR.".

ohst8er Premier Contributor

I don't think this is anything we need to worry about. 

VRBO can only attach reviews to a property if the owner of said property would agree to transfer the LISTING with the sale of the property.  I would NEVER EVER give permission for that.    If I sell my condo it's a new person and they need to establish themselves, THEMSELVES, and that new person may have zero interest in renting thru VRBO anyway. 

Conversely, if I BOUGHT a condo from an owner that had a VRBO listing I'm not sure I'd WANT their listing.  That would depend on how great their listing was, how great their reviews were. 

To me, the SELLER should have the sole right to refuse to transfer a listing.   I also don't think that reviews should travel WITH the owner to another property.  You cannot guarantee the same experience at a new property (well, maybe if I bought the condo next door to mine, but not if I bought one on the other side of the island.) 

This is all just my opinion of course, but unless VRBO had the ability to FORCE ME to transfer my listing to someone else I just wouldn't do it.  And if I were buying MY condo I wouldn't want the reviews anyway, almost every review has mentioned us by name. 

u0999 Premier Contributor

think this is some feature designed for PMs somehow to take over owner listings with existing reviews. Like someone signs up with evolve. They would want past good reviews.

AND just think of how much more valuable that makes your property when YOU are ready to selll to someone else in terms of pricing. I understand everyone’s concern, but seriously.....who cares....you’ve sold the property....it will quickly either represent the prior care, or it won’t and one review will reveal that to new guests within a short period of time. Sorry.....I just don’t see it as a negative. What I see is a negative is the now reviews ”under prior ownership” that everyone is talking about.

Just my opinion, but when I sell.....I won’t be worried about what the new owners are doing or not doing

u0999 Premier Contributor

I care. starting on page 2 (which is like 6th review) it says "under previous management". which means 70 out of my 76 reviews were earned by "someone else" and I may just be some amateur who bought the property form a previous successful owner and jury is still out on me. .

I am NOT saying that this issue isn’t a problem! I am saying that the transfer of a home with the reviews in place to me is not a problem. I find that stating reviews (legitimate) from previous owner on the website just (in my mind) is not necessary. The new owners will either garner the same GREAT reviews, or fail quickly with non stellar reviews going forward.

So, my comment above is simply about properties that HAVE sold to another owner, not those that are still owned by us with erroneous information on them.

Hope that clears up my thoughts on this issue.

kmcbhense Contributor

I actually like that they will send the reviews with the new owner. If you have your home up for sale, and have all great reviews, that is a plus for the new buyer, and can potentially sell your home faster or for a higher dollar amount.

koko Contributor

Somehow I do not quite see it as a value added thing. The old owner earned the reviews, their furniture, their service. How in the world could that add value to the property? Properties are the last bastion of brick and mortar and whatever that';s worth in the location and condition. To say "I have great reviews about my renting out part or all of that property and therefore you - new owner- must pay me more money for the bricks and sticks of the building" is as utopian as much of the internet. It also follows a path of unrealistic investments based on non existing revenue. The stock market is full of them. I would consider this feeding the frenzy of making "easy money" which is the hardest one earned.

With that I agree with the initial premise that reviews go with the person, not the building.

It adds value because you are buying a home with a positive reputation. I had a business in the 90’s that I sold and it had an GREAT reputation (if I do say so myself) and because of that the value was higher than those that had a less than stellar reputation. Now if the new owners allowed that reputation to diminish after their purchase, that reflects on them and they have lost any good-will that I built into that business over the years.

I Can’t imagine that anyone wants to buy a VR that has negative reviews, unless they are simply buying it for personal use! So, that is the value added if someone is looking for an investment.

kmccor Contributor

Here's why I care. Let's say I am selling to upgrade to what I perceive as an even better condo in the same complex. My reviews show my ability as an owner-manager. I would like the option of not having a possible competitor get them. The buyer purchased my real estate, not my rental business. There is no sales contract for my business.

I understand, but if you have stellar reviews now, you would have them for the new property. The simply can’t follow a different property with the owner. Many of the comments refer specifically to the property. Maybe in your situation HA could make an exception with the caveat that it is the same owner with reviews from a different unit. However, I think that you could put that in your heading or description with the dates, etc and the reason for the change to the new property. You could also send all your previous guests a note as to what you are doing.

If the reviews speak directly to the contact with you (which many may) then you can reference those too!

I Just don’t see how leaving the reviews with the property really hurt the owner. I see it only as a positive selling point over other properties that may be for sale at the same time. (Just my view)

(Edited)

Just to add....maybe keep this one, buy the new one and reference both? Then if you still want to sell the first one hopefully you would have enough glowing reviews on the new property that you will just garner the increased value from selling the current one with reviews in place????

margaret CommunityAmbassador

Although I understand your point, reviews often combine guest experience of the property, the owner and the area. I think if an owner wants to include reviews in a sale of a property they should be able to do so with the disclosure that the reviews were obtained under previous management. On the other hand, I would not be happy to find I had booked a property based on reviews that were from guests who had never stayed in that particular property.

wishing4wind Contributor

I see what you're getting at, I have a similar set-up with 24 units all practically identical. I own one and compete with the others, and I wouldn't want to sell mine and buy another (for example sell a ground floor unit and buy an upper floor with a better view) and have my hard-earned reviews go to the seller. But my understanding from my conversations with customer service is that vrbo will not transfer the listing without your permission. If they will transfer without your permission then that is a HUGE issue since it is your account.

I was told I can transfer the listing to a new owner after the sale (but they discourage it). Another owner reports they were told they cannot transfer. I heard it can't be transferred without your permission, and I'm reading a post saying they will transfer without your permission. homeaway_community_manager it would be most helpful if we could learn what is the policy? Can you transfer it or not? Do you need to give your permission for a transfer?

And here's another angle. My listing is named with my brand name, my brand name is registered, copyrighted, and represented on my website, blog, Google, etc. So I would think vrbo would not forcefully transfer my listing with my branding to a new owner, I would hope they would be required to change the listing title.

• Re: Re: A new owner will get your hard-earned reviews?!
                                                                  ha-moderator-daniel HomeAway Employee

Hi wishing4wind,

I will be as clear and concise here as possible, we DO NOT allow listings to be transferred if ownership of the property has changed. Upon the sale of a property the new owner must create an new account and a new listing. The help article for this issue can be found here. That being said, reviews are different, they can be transferred to a new listing upon the sale of a property but there will be a disclaimer that "During this stay, the property was under previous ownership or management" for those reviews. Permission to transfer reviews is not required by the original owner but ALL reviews must be transferred from the old listing to the new one. If you need more information on this policy please reach out to Customer Support.

Thanks,

Daniel

HomeAway Community Moderator

wildiris Active Contributor

"Permission to transfer reviews is not required by the original owner ..."

With all due respect, I believe that this is a terrible position for HomeAway to take and could run counter to a sales agreement between the seller and buyer of a vacation rental property.  Owning and operating a vacation rental is a business.  The success or failure of that business is dependent on much more than just the physical property.  Owners work very hard for good reviews.  Good reviews are the result of not just the real estate property but the owner's responsiveness, helpfulness, level of customer service, and how the owner furnishes and equips the property.  Property reviews are part of the business's goodwill.  When an owner sells the real estate, he is selling an asset of his vacation rental business but not necessarily selling his vacation rental business in its entirety.  Yet, HomeAway has decided - without the vacation rental owner's consent - to transfer the vacation rental business's goodwill (i.e. the reviews) to the purchaser of a business asset.  How would HomeAway's top management feel if a third-party took it upon itself to transfer HomeAway's business goodwill in an asset sale?  I bet they'd be furious.

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

ha-moderator-daniel -

reviews are different, they can be transferred to a new listing upon the sale of a property but there will be a disclaimer that "During this stay, the property was under previous ownership or management" for those reviews.

There are two properties near me that were sold recently, and I can see the disclaimer on the desktop (albeit in faint grey print), but NOT on the app.  With all of the focus on how many guests book on the app, why isn't it there?

• Re: Re: A new owner will get your hard-earned reviews?!
                                                                          wishing4wind Contributor

If that is the case, you might want to make sure CS agents stop telling owners that it can be done.

timthek Active Contributor

As I have said previously, reviews belong neither to the property nor to the owner. They represent the experiences of the guest based on the owner AND the property. You cannot separate the two. If a property is transferred, the reviews shouldn't stay with the property as-is and they shouldn't go with the owner. I think that, for once, HA's idea of allowing reviews to remain with the property BUT with a caveat that they came during prior ownership, is a good solution. It lets guests know what the property was like previously, but with the notice that things could change with new ownership. This allows people who are selling the property as income producing can get more value for "their business" and the new owners don't have to start from scratch. It isn't perfect for everyone, but I think it is a good compromise. I would assume that HA will allow owners who do NOT want to transfer listings intact can opt to simply cancel and close their account, and owners who DO want to transfer listings reviews and all, are able to do so.

koko Contributor

timthek wrote:

As I have said previously, reviews belong neither to the property nor to the owner. They represent the experiences of the guest based on the owner AND the property. You cannot separate the two. If a property is transferred, the reviews shouldn't stay with the property as-is and they shouldn't go with the owner. I think that, for once, HA's idea of allowing reviews to remain with the property BUT with a caveat that they came during prior ownership, is a good solution. It lets guests know what the property was like previously, but with the notice that things could change with new ownership. This allows people who are selling the property as income producing can get more value for "their business" and the new owners don't have to start from scratch. It isn't perfect for everyone, but I think it is a good compromise. I would assume that HA will allow owners who do NOT want to transfer listings intact can opt to simply cancel and close their account, and owners who DO want to transfer listings reviews and all, are able to do so.

Sounds to me like your emphasis lies on SELLING A BUSINESS. That is were the rubber meets the road and you give HA an applauding hand in their consistent effort to take something which was based between private people, offering each other an alternative in traveling, and turning it into a commercial enterprise shaped after the hotel industry model. The hotel industry was doing well and so were the private folks offering people their second homes or their guest house.

Commercial greed has turned it into a headache for owners and politicized it with taxes paid before they even become due and all taken out of the persons hand whose property we are talking about. It is followed by the urge to regulate this this into the ground with the property rights of the individual so curtailed that this in itself will become a negative in selling the property which might have once been listed on Home Away or any other website they bought up in the last few years to eliminate competition and tighten the stronghold on the owners who have to fork over $500 every year to compete with each other and be told a thousand ways that they are not good enough and their competition got the rental. Even if the competition is a trailer.

I hope you can see where giving something the little finger gets you into the emergency room with an arm missing. And your assumption that HA "allows" owners to do anything but make money for them is WRONG.

"I think that, for once, HA's idea of allowing reviews to remain with the property BUT with a caveat that they came during prior ownership, is a good solution. It lets guests know what the property was like previously, but with the notice that things could change with new ownership. This allows people who are selling the property as income producing can get more value for "their business" and the new owners don't have to start from scratch."

I agree with your statement with an important caveat - the seller should have to give permission for HomeAway to transfer the reviews to the new owner.  The reviews definitely have value to the new owner/buyer and the seller ought to be able to negotiate a higher sales price if the transfer of the reviews is to be included as part of the sale.  With HomeAway's recent policy change of transferring reviews to the real estate buyer without the seller's consent, they are taking away a valuable asset from the selling property owner.  Why would a buyer be willing to pay a higher sales price to include the reviews if HomeAway transfers the reviews to the buyer without the seller's consent?  The answer is - the buyer won't.

moosebigd Contributor

I don't agree with VRBO's policy that someone who is buying a VR is also privileged to acquire the previous owner's reviews. New owner.  New account. New listing.  Period.

And thus far, the discussion in this thread has focused on new ownership acquiring the good reviews from the seller.  What happens if the purchaser acquires reviews that are less than complimentary?  Will the stars reflecting these negative reviews show up on the search page?  Will the previous-owner disclaimer show up on the search page as well or will a potential guest find it when they go into the property description?  It seems like this would put the new owner at a disadvantage:  A potential guest wouldn't see the disclaimer unless they actually went into the property description.

ha-moderator-daniel HomeAway Employee

Hi moosebigd,

To clarify the way review transfers are handled, if a new owner requests for the reviews to be transferred then ALL (both negative and positive) reviews will be moved to the new listing.  We will not do partial or selective review transfers.  The disclaimer then appears on each of the affected reviews so there is no confusion which reviews were made under the new owner and which were made previous to that owner.

Daniel

HomeAway Community Moderator

Hi. ha-moderator-daniel  Thank you for chiming in. I was just going to comment that we should follow this through to the logical conclusion, if a new owner doesn’t want to take on the reviews I can’t imagine they would be forced to.

On the other side, if an owner chooses not to transfer over the reviews, do they have the right to do so?    I mean if somebody bought my condo today and changed out all of my furniture and all of my beds and bedding, basically it would not be the same condo at all any longer, the only thing that would be the same is the shell and the address.   Does the previous owner have the right To refuse transfer of reviews? Does the new owner have the right to demand that the reviews are transferred?

ohst8er - Daniel the moderator said in his first post, "Permission to transfer reviews is not required by the original owner ... [emphasis added)."  In his second post he said, "if a new owner requests for the reviews to be transferred...[emphasis added]."  If you read Daniel's two posts together, the new owner may request to have all of the reviews transferred but he doesn't have to.  If the new owner requests a reviews transfer, the selling owner can't stop it.  If the overall reviews aren't very favorable, why would a new owner request that they be transferred?  I wouldn't do this as a new owner - I'd start from scratch.  Practically speaking, a new owner is only going to request a transfer of reviews if the reviews are predominantly good.

Thanks. I was unaware that he had posted previously.  I wish this policy had been in place before,   We wanted to buy the condo next-door to us and sell ours, but we didn’t want to have to start all over with reviews. It didn’t make a lot of sense considering it was literally the place next-door. That’s the only reason we didn’t make the Purchase.   Kind of disappointing.

Ah - your post raises a different question. From what you wrote, part of your decision regarding whether or not to buy the condo next door and sell your existing condo was whether or not you could transfer the reviews of your existing condo (Condo A) to a new listing for the second condo (Condo B).  Do I understand this correctly?  This is a good question and Daniel's posts don't address this issue.  As I understand them, Daniel is only addressing the issue of whether a new owner of a vacation rental property can transfer the prior reviews of that same property to the new listing he creates for that property.

wildiris, sorry, I usually read things much more clearly, and usually read ALL the posts.  That'll teach me to read along on my iPhone while I'm loading the dishwasher and making dinner..... 

Yes, I WAS referring to transferring reviews from one condo to another, which frankly I feel should be allowed in certain circumstances, such as an owner taking reviews from a 3 bedroom condo, to the 3 bedroom condo next door.  But it was not allowed, so Alas, we passed, someone else bought.  The end (atleast for me.)

wishing4wind Contributor

I bought a property where the owner promised to include with the sale her client list, but never did. She closed her vrbo account so I wasn't able to find the listing, and I wasn't able to get the reviews transferred. How would vrbo definitiely determine which listing's reviews I'm entitled to? Can they look it up by address? If I wanted to have the reviews transferred, do I as the new owner have to provide the listing number? If the seller doesn't want to transfer their reviews they may circumvent the "permission not needed" by closing their account. 

Hi Daniel......I know you are new to the forums so I don’t want you to take my comment the wrong way please.

Did Homeaway think about this carefully before taking that decision away from the owner?? Here is my thought. If there is NO added value to me the owner when I get ready to sell, then I probably won’t sell it as a Vacation Rental. I mean if I am going to get the same price whether a VR or just a residential property there is NO incentive for me to promote the VR aspect???

I don’t agree that HA should make that decision without the current owners permission and consent. I mean if an owner is fine with it and it adds value to their property, then everyone walks away happy and Homeaway benefits as well.

Just my thoughts and I have purchased and sold many homes both owner occupied and investment properties over my 60+ years of life.

Good point.....that blows my theory of value added to the sales price.

Edited to add: I supposed if you have all good reviews it is still value added to sale because other properties may not have as many overall or as many overall 5 star.

I Wish that they would leave that a negotiation between the buyer and seller of a VR though.