7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2019 8:39 AM by familyfirst RSS

Find success by using the Big 4

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Optimize your listing with HomeAway’s Big 4 guidelines:

• Create quality content
      • Set competitive rates
      • Accept and honor bookings
      • Earn great reviews

Get all the info now on the Discovery Hub!

Please share your examples in the comments!

Thank you!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

• Re: Find success by using the Big 4
          green_mango Active Contributor

Argh, I just saw this on FB...   I've done all 4 consistently, but it's a challenge to have competitive rates on VRBO when the service fee adds a couple hundred bucks average to each booking.  My rates are already higher than most homes around me (justifiably so), but I really wish the service fee were smaller since it's not going anywhere.

feibus Senior Contributor

Wait... you have higher rates and complaining that your rates are a challenge to be "competitive"...??  What am I missing here?

green_mango Active Contributor

I can be higher than most and be competitive at the same time - our family's vacation home was built more recently than 90% of nearby rental homes, so instead of a dark old cabin with wood paneling and dirty bedspreads we have a wall of windows on the main level, and are simply newer & updated - our higher price reflects that, although we're just a smidge higher in order to stay competitive. 

feibus Senior Contributor
                Earn great reviews

Implied action: Don't cater to longer stays.  If your place rents for 28 nights and mine rents 4 times for 7 nights, who has more chances for great reviews?

The numbers are skewed because a great review for a 2-night stay counts the same as a great review for a 20-night stay.  Reviews should be weighted by length of stay...? 

moosebigd Active Contributor
                  • Create quality content
                  • Set competitive rates
                  • Accept and honor bookings
                  • Earn great reviews

255 available days to book in 2019.  VRBO has filled in 20 days on our calendar.  We've done our homework...  Who hasn't done theirs?

rinaldomoon Senior Contributor

No booking, let alone an inquiry from HomeAway, VRBO or any of the HomeAway European sites since Sept. 2018

familyfirst Contributor

1.Allowing agencies to keep a home's calendar open they are trying to sell, while the same owner has blocked weeks....get rid of those bad listings.

2.Address and areas need to be correct. A home that is 10 miles away from my home or on a different island, shouldn't be in my neighborhood search. That is fraud.

3. Don't make us like Expedia, I will have to leave then. Honor my cancellation rules always because I am a fly-to destination and having my strict policy allows me to function as a thriving business. My home, my rules and that goes for money being released to me. The open cancellation homes are the worst because they have no money to keep their home in pristine condition.

4.Contract with PayPal, get rid of your current transaction company. I get my money in my PayPal account in 24-48 hours tops. Holding my money for a week, then taking another few business days is not good business.

Just a few thoughts.