9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2019 9:38 AM by homeaway_community_manager RSS

Edited Quotes Must Now Be Sent As PREAPPROVAL

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I just had an inquiry from a guest who asked a few questions and made a request that meant that I had to adjust the date of the second payment on my property.

I selected Reply With Quote so that I could respond to the guest, thanking her for her inquiry, and  went in to edit the quote to show the changes that she had requested and that I was okay with.  I first checked over the fees and clicked save.  I then clicked change the dates, selected a new date for the second payment and clicked save.

I clicked send.

I did NOT click Pre-Approve.  The email "copy" of the message I sent did not look right.  I went back into the dashboard and my changes were not there. 

I called Premier CS.

What Premier CS told me was that if I change a quote, I have to send it as a Pre-Approval.  There is NO OTHER OPTION if I want to send a guest an adjusted quote.

NO WAY.

• Re: Edited Quotes Must Now Be Sent As PREAPPROVAL
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

ashevillelookout, of course the only way for any of us to possibly test this out is to be in the same scenario as you, and to see if we get the same result.  However..... if they are saying there is "NO OTHER OPTION" they are decidedly incorrect.   You can ALWAYS create a quote, screen shot it, and send it to the traveler as an attachment, either thru the VRBO system, or thru an email. 

ohst8er Happy to send you an inquiry.....then you can prove my statement.  And I agree, I will now edit the quote in my response email.  It's just a pain, because now they probably won't have the booking button that used to be there.

planthealth Active Contributor

My husband does the reservations, so only partially tracking.

So if we email them the revised quote and they want to book, do we ask them to do a new booking request with the new quote circumstances?

planthealth, in a word, no.

Ok, I see what the CS was saying now.  And they are partially correct.   It sounded like, when I first read it, that they are forcing you to send a pre-approval.  I don't like pre-approvals, and (almost) never use them.   But yet, I believe if you want the quote to "stick" YOU have to send it to them in a pre-approval, meaning, if you want the quote they can BOOK FROM to be the revised quote, this is the method you need to use.   Planthealth's question, and my answer then subsequent explanation made me realize that the CS was somewhat CORRECT.

IF you send a revised quote, and, like Planthealth was asking, ask them to do a new booking request, the new request will come thru to you at the same rate you have posted on your site.

I don't like pre-approvals, and almost 100% refuse to use them.  Here's what I do do (and remember, this is just ME, and my own processes).  If someone reaches out to me looking for a cheaper rate, and I am willing to consider it (and some time periods in the year I am), I send them a revised quote.  Not a pre-approval, I just edit the quote and send it along.   It's been awhile since I've done that, I feel like they could just book off that revised quote, but I can't recall enough to say for sure.    So let's say CAN'T book straight from revised quote.  If the traveler says "I'm sitting here ready to book but I cannot because...."  Then yea, I'll send them a pre-approval, because bird in hand.....

But this:  "What Premier CS told me was that if I change a quote, I have to send it as a Pre-ApprovalThere is NO OTHER OPTION if I want to send a guest an adjusted quote."  If that is indeed what the Premier CS told you verbatim, I stand 100% by my original assertion that that statement is categorically incorrect. 

ohst8er, it was an INQUIRY.  Not a BIN or an IB.  An INQUIRY.  I should be able to go into the quote that was shown to the inquirer and edit it based on my conversation with the guest.  I should then be able to send that quote to the guest to review and choose to go forward with or not.  I would never, ever send a pre-approval, and have been sending edited quotes to guests since 2005 when I signed on with HA and VRBO. 

I am not on IB.  I am BIN with 24 hour approval because I like to converse with my guest and adjust quotes as needed.

I called Premier CS. The CS rep was looking at my file and the inquiry in question while we discussed the process.  He could see that it was an inquiry and he still told me that I could not send the guest a quote that had a different rate or payment date unless I sent it as a preapproval.  That is just not right.  I should be able to make any adjustment (with the exception of deleting the service fee) to a quote in order to secure the booking.

My guest did not receive the edited quote and thought I was blowing her off. 

ashevillelookout, nope I totally get it.  An inquiry.   Unfortunately I do not have any inquiries in my inbox to test this out on, but of course you could always send yourself an inquiry and test it out by sending yourself a revised quote.

IF they have changed the system so that the only way to send a revised quote is to send as a pre-approval (and this would be NEW), you can still send a revised quote by just revising the quote, screen shotting it, and then sending it to the traveler as an attachment.  If they agree to the quote and agree they want definitely are going to book, then you send it as a pre-approval.  And that's IF VRBO has made a change to this so that the only way you CAN send one via the platform is to send as a pre-approval.  I'm just not certain that the CS rep told you correctly.

If you decide to do a test inquiry to yourself from yourself report back to us and let us know what you find out.

Edited:  I found THIS:  https://help.vrbo.com/articles/How-do-I-edit-a-quote

Which means, either the CS rep read from this specifically and did not KNOW that you can send a revised quote without pre-approving (because you always HAVE been able to), or.... they have changed things.   Unfortunately they never put dates on these so you have no idea how long something has been in affect. I'd still test it out.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Thanks, I have had the happen recently over and over.  I think the programmers are not rental owners.  Their ideas don't make good sense with a few things including when you alter a quote, then the final balance is incorrect. 

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi ashevillelookout,

What you're describing should only be the case on the mobile app. If you're using the desktop/laptop version or the mobile browser version this should not be the case. It has been this way with the app for a very long time, so nothing has changed. Thank you.

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager