4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2019 10:09 PM by bjoelle RSS

A request for my full address

bjoelle New Member

I received an inquiry from a potential guest saying she was moving to North Carolina and would like to rent my home for a few months while she looked for a home. Then she asked for my physical address so she could 'drive by' to see if it would work. It took me awhile to respond but finally I did, asking when she would be in the area to swing by since it appears she lives in another state. Could this be a red flag? Just doesn't make sense.

• Re: A request for my full address
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

bjoelle, I would not be concerned about someone wanting to see my location to see if it would work.  Staying in a location for a few months is a long time and it needs to fit the needs of the person staying.

I do have a question for you though.  How do you receive your mail at this location?  My mailbox is with a group of mailboxes in my condo complex and can only be accessed via a key, that I NEVER EVER give my guests, even the ones who stay long term.  I had a guest stay with me for 3 months once and asked if she could have access to my mail box and I said no, and told her where the local post office was to get a PO Box.  (I would proactively suggest this to your LT guest.)   If this guest (or any LT guest) changes their mailing address to your VR address, that is considered "establishing residency."  I don't want to freak you out, but just making you aware.   Once someone establishes residency, and then decides perhaps they don't WANT to leave, you would have to go thru eviction processes. 

bjoelle New Member

Thank you! She's written me back and seems totally legitimate, and as you said just wants to make sure it's a fit. Turns out they live only 3 hours away across state lines and are willing to drive up, so it all makes sense. Thank you for the heads up on residency. Where I live in California it's even easier to establish residency so I'm very sensitive to it. The last long term resident got a PO box. Thank you again!

feibus Senior Contributor

If she has your name and the county, she can likely quickly get your home's tax record, which has the address.

It seems too complex for a B&E situation, people don't usually announce themselves first when they're going to do that.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

Guest who are planning to stay a month or more often ask for the address.If moving to the area it wouldn't be unusual to be visiting nearby prior to moving. She could be coming to the area for work or interviews. I would ask the potential guest about the "drive by" if I were concerned by the comment.