19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2019 12:18 PM by twobitrentals RSS

Bad feeling about a traveler

harrytammie Contributor

I had a recent booking thru VRBO and as usual, I welcomed the traveler, and told them they would be receiving an agreement via doc u sign. The traveler questioned the agreement as well as providing a copy of a valid credit card as well as providing a copy of driver license. I explained to him that these things protect us both against fraud and are a good idea. Just as providing a valid card and drivers license on checking into a hotel.

After a few weeks he requested a refund citing suspicious activity. I happily granted his refund and immediately got a good feeling.

I learned to trust the little voice inside me.

I own a unit in Las Brisas located in Madeira Beach, Fla.

I'm putting this out there because I'd want to know if someone had a traveler to be cautious about. Anyone may contact me for his name.

Harry

• Re: Bad feeling about a traveler
          u0999 Premier Contributor

in my case - no agreement - no ID - no stay. period, end of discussion. I had ONE that after repeat voice mails, emails, calls etc, would not return anything. I called VRBO CS and asked them to cancel (which they did) with full refund. Wuddayouknow, he calls me same day asking why was his reservation canceled! I told him why, and told he can rebook same dates if they are still available, but he must provide the needed documentation. he never did try to rebook,  so bye-bye. Must have been some scam in the works or he used stolen card.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

HI harrytammie,  please see here Community Guidelines  for discussions about posting personal information. I know you want to warn other owners About a perceived questionable traveler, but  I thought you might want to know that posting their personal information here is a violation of community guidelines.

calicalling Active Contributor

harrytammie there is a guest blacklist group on FB. Hosts post names and profiles of problematic guests. Primarily ABB but also some VRBO.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

The FB group is called Airbnb Guests Blacklist. There are post about guests from multiple platforms not only ABB.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

But wait....some people are just nervous about giving out their ID, etc for fear of identity fraud.. I wouldn’t necessarily blackball this guy from trying to book, it is up to us all to just stay firm on what we need from guests before accepting the reservation.

twobitrentals, yes to this.  I know that I am going to be an honest person.  I know that I'm not going to scam anyone.  I know that if you give me your credit card, or your driver's license, I'm not going to do anything untoward with it.  I know all that about ME.  I know NOTHING about that from the person on the other end.  It's a serious amount of trust we place in others, and we expect them to place in us.   How does a renter know, really, that you or I won't use his cc to purchase something, or use his ID for something?  I frankly don't think I'd be very interested in giving a private person whom I've never met my driver's license or a copy of my credit card.  

I had someone who was very concerned about giving me their DL with the number on it. I told them I completely understood an to block out the DL number as long as their picture, home address, was visible along with the State information.

I Have had my identity hacked at yapstone, my husbands employer, Home Depot, Yahoo.  So, I don’t take peoples concern about their identity lightly. Luckily for me I have my credit locked at all three bureaus by just paying a $10.00 fee at each. My debit and credit cards alert me immediately if they are used on my cell phone. So, I understand fear of identity theft.

Now if we are talking about a charge-back without cause, a terrible guest that stayed I am all for the list, but let’s not put those who have genuine fear of fraud in the same boat.

Agreed.  I'm on atleast 3 lists that China has, the DOD list was the first one.   I think there was a Marriott one recently.   I'm sure Facebook has given my info to someone.  I've had my credit cards hacked on atleast three occasions, my email has been hacked, my phone number has been spoofed.  I've been scammed so many times I'm not even sure that I am me anymore!  Who knows, I could be dead and the person sitting here could be just a cheap imitation of me.  No one seems to notice..... 

I agree, not wanting to supply ID is not a good reason to think a guest is fraudulent. I posted the name of the group in response to calicalling post without reading through the entire thread. I read the OPs post after seeing you post. All that said, I also have had my info hacked multiple times. I explain to guests who are reluctant to supply ID that I am trusting them in my home with my belonging so they will need to trust me with some information about themselves. There are a lot of risks in this business for both owners and guests. We all have to do our best to protect ourselves, no RA and ID means no access to my properties. If a guests cannot be comfortable with that so be it.

calicalling Active Contributor

I'll be honest, I would not provide a copy of my DL and CC to an owner unless it was required by law so I wasn't suggesting that this particular guest has done anything particularly concerning.

I was responding to the OPs desire to have a place to post the names of guests who are concerning to him/her since it is against the policy here to do so.

In fact, the beauty of the FB list is that owners/host are free to post anyone at any time for any reason. It is the job of the reader to determine if they feel they do or do not want to host that guest. You;ll find everything there from guests who've trashed apartments to those who were overly demanding and petulant. The beauty of that list is that the decision is left to the reader.

I wasn't saying you posted something out of line, I was simply stating that my response was to you post not the OP. I am grateful for the FB page to warn others about guests who may cause damage, fraudulent chargebacks, etc. I wasn't suggesting you response was out of line in any way.

feibus Senior Contributor

I would NEVER provide my CC info to any person (although for some reason, most restaurants want me to hand my card to someone making below-minimum-wage, but that's another story).

But showing an ID to someone to ensure it matches who signed the rental agreement name and the CC name (which you get when the CC is run through a processor like HA/VRBO or PayPal)... that's how you fight chargebacks.  No matching ID, no entry to my home.

patpat Contributor

I just stayed at a Hilton and was not asked by anyone to see my DL, The clerk clearly should have asked to see my DL since my CC says "SEE ID" on the back. But there you go...some ask, some don't.  (Will be staying at a Hampton in a couple weeks and will be curious if they ask to see it.) I booked through ABB for the 1st time last year and was really surprised and uncomfortable to be asked to upload my DL. If I would have started my search earlier and had more places to select from, I would have booked elsewhere. I really was uncomfortable uploading my DL. I do not ask for DL or CC. I do not want other people's sensitive information on my premises. I don't want to be responsible if someone hacked the files or broke in and stole the info. I have not had any problems aside from 1 guest where, much to my regret, I ignored my "gut" feeling to cancel, because I didn't want to hurt my "rankings" by canceling the booking. And if I did ask this guest for his DL and CC before hand, I doubt it would have been an issue. It would have been the same results: horrible guest, clean up the mess, keep the damage deposit, rank him the lowest possible and hope no one else takes him in.

We owners require it because so many have stolen “others” identification and thus all the scams. They don’t want your information to scam you (hopefully) but to assure that YOU are who you say YOU ARE. That documentation can be shredded after a period of time and you are absolutely right I don’t want someone’s personal information left in my home either. I usually wait for a few months just to be sure there are no issues with charge backs.

It is the environment that we live in now that creates the need for us to VERIFY who is asking to stay in our homes.  Sad times!